Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/136/120

Height: 5'7

Default 10 pounds to drop - Bikram yoga and snowboarding

Hi all,
Phase 1. - you all are amazing and I am looking to drop 10 pounds. (15 total going back up to 125 in maintenance)

I am reaching out here to see if I can get some advise from others in the program. My couch is very sweet and helpful but I'm looking to get opinions from others in the program.

I have stuck to the program this last week with one slip up of 2 restricted in one day and I have a hard boiled egg when my belly is screaming. I cut back on exercise to mainly Bikram Yoga once a day. (I do not believe this is very intense aside from all the sweating I do not feel exerted afterwards) I also drink about 96 oz water plus green tea.

She has decided that I should have an extra packet a day to see if that helps with the loss.

My questions,

1. Bikram Yoga, has anyone else continued to use this yoga and other light weight lifting on Phase One?

2. Should I add an extra packet? Restricted or non?

3. I will be snowboarding all weekend, what should my day with food look like?

Anyway, thanks for the help. I am worried I've picked the wrong program but I really want to give it a chance. I looked into it last year, I read this blog all the time and finally wanted to post. Again, pretty impressive stuff all, you all are so dedicated and wonderful for getting your heath on!

Thanks.

Last edited by nikkileev; 01-11-2013 at 11:58 AM.
nikkileev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

There are plenty of people who do workout on IP. Most of the people seem to take an extra non-restricted packet, before or after.

Snowboarding might be tough because this is so low cal. You should definitely have a packet right before you go out and even consider having your protein at lunch. Definitely add an extra non-restricted packet for each day you are snowboarding.

I'm sitting out this ski season because I just don't have the energy to do it.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

I did bikram yoga 4 times last week. Replenished with mango rtd, couple of times I added an omelet as well as a non restricted

My coach tells me bikram may be too intense, I think it's perfect.
sonyainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #4  

A bit off topic but I'm curious, who picks goal weight? I did alternatives so never saw a coach. I only wanted to lose 10-15 pounds. I ended up losing around 20 and feel perfect. I'm 5'6 and 125lbs. I've actually had people tell me I lost too much and I'm too thin but I noticed the OP is 5'7 with a goal weight of 120. Did your coach suggest that weight?

Last edited by Ugh73; 01-11-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Ugh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 136/120/115

Height: 5'4"

I'm no expert, but I think each person is different - depending on your body frame. I'm only 5'4 and am trying to get to 110, which my coach says is too light - but I'm FAR from being too thin. I still have a bit of a tummy and love handles (much smaller than when I began, but nonetheless, still there. Each time I go in my coach tries to "up" my goal by 5 pounds to 115, but I know my body and I certainly could stand to lose the extra pounds - I have a very small frame - I can wrap my fingers around my wrist with a LOT of overlapping. So, tables and such are good as a base - but it's really dependent on the individual and your body type....IMO.
sstw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/196/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I'm sitting out this ski season because I just don't have the energy to do it.
I was wondering if I would need to miss this season with the diet. I'm only two weeks in and itching to go Maybe spring season!
mquinn106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

RE: exercise on Phase 1 - a LOT depends on what your activity level was before you started the diet. No matter what, you should take at least the first 2-3 weeks off of any exercise beyond slow walking, while your body adjusts to being in ketosis. At that point, if you were an active person you should be able to resume some exercise, just at a bit lower intensity - you don't want to be burning 500 calories because that is more than half of your ENTIRE daily intake of calories for the whole day. Whatever you do, you should absolutely make sure to have an extra packet right after you finish your exercise to replenish the calories. You may also find that you need to beef up your pre-workout meal too, with an extra egg if you need it. Just listen to your body, you will know if you pushed too hard or need more food.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #8  

Thank you all, having the advise and people chime in is really helpful. (also helps me feel like I'm part of the team)

Happy to hear someone else is doing bikram on IP. Like I said I don't find it taxing and hopefully the sweat and extra water will detoxify.

I picked my own goal but it may be too light for me as well. The couch said I may want to stop at 125 (maintain at 130) for my frame etc. I'm a bit on the athletic side and not sure if 120 is even possible. (I guess anything is possible)

Thank you for the advice in exercise. It is really important to me I stay fit and muscly, not just skinny. Thats my concern about taking so much time off. I know it is a delicate balance to not burn muscle off while in Phase one.

We can do it
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #9  
Started IP 7/9/12

How'd the snowboarding go?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #10  

It was below 0 all weekend... So I did about 5 runs and had to thaw out. I have been boarding about 10 times this season. I go often and honestly my energy level seemed just fine. (We are aggressive boarders as well)

I think sometimes its a mind over matter type of situation. I know this diet is always top of mind and listening to your body is really really important. So of course don't exert too much but I love it so much I can't pause activity just yet.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #11  
Started IP 7/9/12

That's nice that you started boarding already for the season then IP after.

I know I don't have the energy for skiing. That first weekend out is usually a tough one. For now I just watch my daughter ski at practice and races.