Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/186/135

Height: 5'3"

Question Ideas for Cooking Flounder?

How have you cooked flounder (or any light white fish)?

and how do I turn myself right-side up please

Last edited by itsmesusan; 07-12-2017 at 05:48 PM.
itsmesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

LOL- no idea on the photo. On the fish, I cook halibut and cod routinely. I have healthy and unhealthy recipes for it. Since white fish has a tendency to dry out, most of my recipes are a little unhealthy. For example, I LOVE to do a thin coating of mayo on top and then sprinkle panko crumbs, dill weed, salt and pepper on top and bake until golden brown. I also like to coat in flour and fry in butter- or just fry in butter (you don't really need to bread it). Both are excellent. But you can poach white fish, too, or steam it. You can take and wrap it up in tin foil or parchment paper with some spices and by wrapping it it keeps the moisture in, and no oils are required. About the only thing I wouldn't do is bake without either covering it or coating it because it will dry out if you bake it without protecting it somehow.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
LOL- no idea on the photo. On the fish, I cook halibut and cod routinely. I have healthy and unhealthy recipes for it. Since white fish has a tendency to dry out, most of my recipes are a little unhealthy. For example, I LOVE to do a thin coating of mayo on top and then sprinkle panko crumbs, dill weed, salt and pepper on top and bake until golden brown. I also like to coat in flour and fry in butter- or just fry in butter (you don't really need to bread it). Both are excellent. But you can poach white fish, too, or steam it. You can take and wrap it up in tin foil or parchment paper with some spices and by wrapping it it keeps the moisture in, and no oils are required. About the only thing I wouldn't do is bake without either covering it or coating it because it will dry out if you bake it without protecting it somehow.
Thank you for your suggestions. I have loads of recipes with ingredients we can't eat on Ideal Protein... was looking for something on-program though. I don't want to cheat.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Oh, I'm sorry. I saw this thread in the "recent posts" listing and didn't even notice it was for IP. Apologies!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 246.5/176.4/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm not sure about flounder specifically, but I have a few fish recipes that are IP compliant that you can adjust to fit what you want!

My simple go-to is to rub the fish with my 2tsp of oil and add whatever spices I want, then wrap it in foil and bake it. This keeps it from drying out. Generally speaking, lemon and herbs go well with white fish, and baking or grilling are the best options for cooking method.

Hope these will give you some ideas!

Cod in a Bag
Ingredients:
- 8 oz Cod Filet
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- Fresh Jalapeno, sliced
- Grapeseed Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Asparagus
- Tin Foil
- Fire!!

Directions:
- Lightly oil the inside of a sheet of tin foil.
- Place 3 lemon slices on the sheet
- Lay the filet of cod on top of the lemon.
- Sprinkle some grapeseed oil on top of the fish, then rub in salt and pepper.
- Place about 6 slices of jalapeno on top of the fish
- Add a few more slices of lemon on top of the jalapeno, then squeeze the remaining lemon over the filet.
- Add asparagus to the side
- Wrap up the tin foil around the fish and asparagus, then place on the grill or fire. Don't place directly over the flame.

Your fish should be cooked in about 5-8 minutes depending on the heat of your fire. It's easy to overcook white fish, so keep an eye on it.

Baked Halibut with wild oregano, olive oil and lemon

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 4 halibut fillets
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 paper thin slices of lemon, cut in half
  • ½ teaspoon wild oregano (or ¾ teaspoon of regular oregano)
  • Scant teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Pat the fish fillets to remove any excess moisture. Sprinkle the fillets with the salt and some freshly ground pepper. Place the fillets on the baking sheet.

In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, whisk in the olive oil and the oregano. Pour the lemon and herb mixture over the fish fillets. Place a half slice of lemon on top of each fillet. Bake the fillets in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through and opaque.

Simple Oven-Baked Sea Bass
By aMused chef on January 23, 2009

Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 2

Ingredients
1 lb sea bass ( cleaned and scaled)
3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon italian seasoning or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 lemon wedges
1/3 cup white wine vinegar (optional) or 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 450F°.
In a cup, mix garlic, olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
Place fish in a shallow glass or ceramic baking dish.
Rub fish with oil mixture.
(Optional) Pour wine over fish.
Bake fish, uncovered, for 15 minutes; then sprinkle with parsley or Italian seasoning and continue to bake for 5 more minutes (or until the thickest part of the fish flakes easily).
Drizzle remaining pan juices over fish and garnish with lemon wedges.
Enjoy!

I made this recipe last night - seared tuna steaks with an indian-type spice rub! I served with roasted rutabaga and roasted cauliflower that had been seasoned with ginger and garlic powder!

Spice Rubbed Seared Tuna (I baked this instead of searing to cut down on oil)
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pound tuna steaks
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon coarse black pepper, freshly ground
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 lemon wedges, optional garnish

In a small bowl, combine the salt, coriander, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Lay the tuna steaks out on a plate, and sprinkle the spice mixture evenly on all sides.

Evenly coat the tuna steaks with the freshly ground black pepper, and gently press it in, so that it adheres to the surface, being careful not to smash the flesh.

Place a thick-bottomed frying pan, or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. When you see small wisps of smoke, add the tuna to the pan and sear the steaks for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until desired doneness is reached. Remove to a cutting board. For presentation, cut each steak diagonally into 4-5 slices and fan on a plate. Garnish with additional lemon if desired.
shandygaffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Just a reminder, it's 10 minutes per inch of flesh thickness no matter what style of cooking method. With flounder since it is so thin, it's probably best to do a flash fry 2 min ea side max in a hot pan with a bit of oil and smear with roasted garlic, I like a squeeze of fresh lime and a bit of the zest on top. All you need (except S&P). Remember that fish only needs to be opaque to be cooked. You could also do a ceviche if your flounder or other white fish was very fresh. Simple & delicious and perfect for summer and IP compliant (as long as you don't make the traditional Peruvian ceviche) http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/h...llery/357516/1

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. I saw this thread in the "recent posts" listing and didn't even notice it was for IP. Apologies!

No need to apologize.
<3 Thank you for caring
Old 07-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #8  

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandygaffs View Post
I'm not sure about flounder specifically, but I have a few fish recipes that are IP compliant that you can adjust to fit what you want!

My simple go-to is to rub the fish with my 2tsp of oil and add whatever spices I want, then wrap it in foil and bake it. This keeps it from drying out. Generally speaking, lemon and herbs go well with white fish, and baking or grilling are the best options for cooking method.

Hope these will give you some ideas!

Cod in a Bag
Ingredients:
- 8 oz Cod Filet
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- Fresh Jalapeno, sliced
- Grapeseed Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Asparagus
- Tin Foil
- Fire!!

Directions:
- Lightly oil the inside of a sheet of tin foil.
- Place 3 lemon slices on the sheet
- Lay the filet of cod on top of the lemon.
- Sprinkle some grapeseed oil on top of the fish, then rub in salt and pepper.
- Place about 6 slices of jalapeno on top of the fish
- Add a few more slices of lemon on top of the jalapeno, then squeeze the remaining lemon over the filet.
- Add asparagus to the side
- Wrap up the tin foil around the fish and asparagus, then place on the grill or fire. Don't place directly over the flame.

Your fish should be cooked in about 5-8 minutes depending on the heat of your fire. It's easy to overcook white fish, so keep an eye on it.

Baked Halibut with wild oregano, olive oil and lemon

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 4 halibut fillets
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 paper thin slices of lemon, cut in half
  • ½ teaspoon wild oregano (or ¾ teaspoon of regular oregano)
  • Scant teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Pat the fish fillets to remove any excess moisture. Sprinkle the fillets with the salt and some freshly ground pepper. Place the fillets on the baking sheet.

In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, whisk in the olive oil and the oregano. Pour the lemon and herb mixture over the fish fillets. Place a half slice of lemon on top of each fillet. Bake the fillets in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through and opaque.

Simple Oven-Baked Sea Bass
By aMused chef on January 23, 2009

Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 2

Ingredients
1 lb sea bass ( cleaned and scaled)
3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon italian seasoning or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 lemon wedges
1/3 cup white wine vinegar (optional) or 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 450F°.
In a cup, mix garlic, olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
Place fish in a shallow glass or ceramic baking dish.
Rub fish with oil mixture.
(Optional) Pour wine over fish.
Bake fish, uncovered, for 15 minutes; then sprinkle with parsley or Italian seasoning and continue to bake for 5 more minutes (or until the thickest part of the fish flakes easily).
Drizzle remaining pan juices over fish and garnish with lemon wedges.
Enjoy!

I made this recipe last night - seared tuna steaks with an indian-type spice rub! I served with roasted rutabaga and roasted cauliflower that had been seasoned with ginger and garlic powder!

Spice Rubbed Seared Tuna (I baked this instead of searing to cut down on oil)
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pound tuna steaks
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon coarse black pepper, freshly ground
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 lemon wedges, optional garnish

In a small bowl, combine the salt, coriander, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Lay the tuna steaks out on a plate, and sprinkle the spice mixture evenly on all sides.

Evenly coat the tuna steaks with the freshly ground black pepper, and gently press it in, so that it adheres to the surface, being careful not to smash the flesh.

Place a thick-bottomed frying pan, or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. When you see small wisps of smoke, add the tuna to the pan and sear the steaks for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until desired doneness is reached. Remove to a cutting board. For presentation, cut each steak diagonally into 4-5 slices and fan on a plate. Garnish with additional lemon if desired.

Thank you sooooooooooooo much!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #9  

I know one good recipe how to cook white fish... It's Grilled Sea Bream/
Ingredients
1 Sea Bream
0,5 Lemon
1 sprig Rosemary
1 sprig Parsley
1 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
Salt
Pepper
Bell Peppe
Try)) Delicious!
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #10  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/166.2/154

Height: 5'6"

Steam it in foil. Place the fillet, skin side down, on a foil square. Add cherry tomatoes, sliced olives, a few slices of mild onion and a sprinkle of whatever spices you like, I use an Italian blend. Fold the foil up, leaving a pocket for the steam. Cooks in minutes in a hot oven. Sometimes, I'll open the foil and broil for a minute to brown everything.
etherbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #11  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by booo57 View Post
I know one good recipe how to cook white fish...
Ingredients
1 Sea Bream
0,5 Lemon
1 sprig Rosemary
1 sprig Parsley
1 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
Salt
Pepper
Bell Peppe
Try)) Delicious!
Nice recipe!! thanks)
JasseJackson is offline   Reply With Quote