3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Maintainers Vol 9 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270781-maintainers-vol-9-a.html)

scorbett1103 02-01-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Determinedat47 (Post 4617766)
You are correct- I remember the original ideal protein literature- I will try to find it and bump it- I know it is in ten stickies about the phases- it says something to the effect that some people make the " mistake" of staying in phase 3, but that should not because tibias not balanced enough- I am not for or against it, I just remember that. When I maintained for almost a year- I basically followed phase 3.

Here's the phase 3 sheet from the sticky thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4189216-post2.html

The first page it say that P3 ALWAYS lasts for 2 weeks - I took that to mean no LESS than 2 weeks, especially in light of the fact that some clinics shorten phase 2 or eliminate it completely. There's actually nowhere on that literature that says you can't continue eating P3 style beyond the 2 weeks.

Ishbel 02-01-2013 08:19 PM

The point of not doing phase 3 longer is that the "reset" of your pancreas is carbs in the morning and carbs in the evening...your body digest the carbs from the evening for the next day. Usually no carbs for lunch (they can be switched)....but what you eat at night is usually digested and used the next day. Having them at lunch means your using the carbs digested at lunch when you're going to bed...so you aren't necessarily burning them off...does that make sense?

I always have a carb at night...that could be just fruit and fat free Greek yogurt though. I don't always have a carb like a potato or rice or pasta...I don't think I could maintain if I had those things everyday, but I always have fruit and Greek yogurt or an IP restricted....as an evening snack...hence it's digested at night. Dairy with no fat and a fruit is definitely a carb.

It's quite evident from this forum that you need to find what works for you. What I've explained is just from IP thought process.

Not sure if it helps....

Determinedat47 02-01-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4617773)
Here's the phase 3 sheet from the sticky thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4189216-post2.html

The first page it say that P3 ALWAYS lasts for 2 weeks - I took that to mean no LESS than 2 weeks, especially in light of the fact that some clinics shorten phase 2 or eliminate it completely. There's actually nowhere on that literature that says you can't continue eating P3 style beyond the 2 weeks.

Well, I guess it depends on where you get your information from. If you go to the daily chat, on page one, click on the originator of the diet, Dr. Chang Tren book- he states that phase 3 is not balanced and " the dieter" should not stay on it for more than 2 weeks. Again- just sharing information.

scorbett1103 02-01-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Determinedat47 (Post 4617785)
Well, I guess it depends on where you get your information from. If you go to the daily chat, on page one, click on the originator of the diet, Dr. Chang Tren book- he states that phase 3 is not balanced and " the dieter" should not stay on it for more than 2 weeks. Again- just sharing information.

True enough - there are several differences between Ideal Protein and the original Tran diet, even through Phase 1. Changes seem to have been made along the way. At the end of the day Ishbel has it right - we have to figure out what works for us :)

Fishette 02-01-2013 08:43 PM

I went to a P3 and P4 training class at my clinic. They said P3 for 2 weeks then P4. P4 has completely different rules. In P4, breakfast is Protein, Carbs, and Fats (like a P3 bkft with all components). Lunch is Protein and Fats. Dinner is Protein and Carbs. Evening snack is just Protein.

Bkft: P, C, F
Lunch: P, F
Dinner: P, C
Snack: P

The important thing to remember is to separate carb consumption by 8 hours so you give plenty of time for the insulin to do its thing and then go away, and you avoid getting into the wild insulin/blood sugar swings.

I interpret this to mean a P3 bkft, followed by a lunch that might be a salad with chicken and regular salad dressing, then dinner would be a pork loin, veggie, and sweet potato (but no butter), then evening snack would be a nice treat from Nashua or a EAS or Costco hot chocolate protein shake.

Anyone brave enough to follow that protocol?

Determinedat47 02-01-2013 08:46 PM

Yep- identical to Dr. Tren's protocol. I would be brave enough IF I EVER Get back to maintenance !!!!!!!!!;)

Ishbel 02-01-2013 08:49 PM

fishette I do, just that I have fruit in lieu of a "carb" because fruit is a carb and I have it with fat free yogurt. One cup is 18 grams of protein lol. I can have sweet potato fries if I feel the need or feel comfortable and will use a tsp of coconut oil to stir fry if that's what I'm doing to my veggies. (Evening meal). I keep my cheese and full fat salad dressings for lunch....don't have a lot of salads for supper in case I would like to have a carb.

I also have done fun days (since the beginning) with the 1 day of phase 1, very rarely do I have to do two days of phase 1 and its usually because I ate too much simple sugar on fun day.

Determinedat47 02-01-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishbel (Post 4617821)
fishette I do, just that I have fruit in lieu of a "carb" because fruit is a carb and I have it with fat free yogurt. One cup is 18 grams of protein lol. I can have sweet potato fries if I feel the need or feel comfortable and will use a tsp of coconut oil to stir fry if that's what I'm doing to my veggies. (Evening meal). I keep my cheese and full fat salad dressings for lunch....don't have a lot of salads for supper in case I would like to have a carb.

I also have done fun days (since the beginning) with the 1 day of phase 1, very rarely do I have to do two days of phase 1 and its usually because I ate too much simple sugar on fun day.

:smug:

Nolawhodatchick 02-01-2013 09:24 PM

Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I needed to understand. I do think what I read in archives about not staying in phase 3 for more than 2 weeks had to do with the carb load in morning/diet not balanced throughout the day. I searched tonight to find the prior thread(s) I had read again but no luck, but that sounds similar to what I recall now. The info. I read is evidently hidden in a thread with a different topic and I tripped across it before. A couple of people said their coaches had insisted, IIRC, that they should not stay in phase 3 for more than 2 weeks. I'm sure it had to do with the evening carb, though I don't know what the consequences would be of not adding the evening carb. What would happen if you didn't add it? You ladies have been so kind, informative, and helpful! Can't wait to officially join the ranks!

Fishette 02-01-2013 10:09 PM

Thanks, Determined and Ishbel. Like each of the other phases, it seems daunting at first, but it looks like you got the hang of it. I forgot that cheese would be a fat and protein together! That would be great for lunch. Just not a grilled cheese sandwich! :D guess I could have a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast! I wouldn't mind that!

I had asked folks on this thread a few weeks ago, before I started P3, about some transition changes. Just as an update, when I started the P3 bkft (English muffin, butter, Canadian bacon, egg, yogurt, fruit, and halfNhalfmin my coffee), I did not get a sugar rush and I did not gain any weight or any measurement. I will move off of P3 on Monday, and I'm the exact same weight as when I started. My plan is to tip toe carefully into P4 until my vacation starting Valentines Day. Don't think I'll bother with a free day since I'll have a free week so soon. It is still scary to see these "big" numbers show up on MFP. Ooh-1300 calories seems so huge compared to the P1 800. Just like P1, just close my eyes and take a step and follow the sheet!

Fishette 02-01-2013 10:13 PM

Ishbel, great idea about a fruit for a carb in the evening. I totally forgot about fruit! I'm so predisposed to think of fruit as a big no-no! :devil: now I can be naughty without getting in trouble. Love it!

Beck81 02-01-2013 10:32 PM

This is some great conversation ladies as I am still trying to figure out maintenance. I have been doing a little more of the P3. I will have some cheese at lunch, fruit or greek yogurt for a snack. In P2 and P3 I only had a total of 12 oz of protein as my coach recommended since I'm smaller. I haven't added much for carbs at night as I'm afraid of them! I have had an apple, low carb bread but no pasta or potatoes yet. I have a protein bar once in awhile. I have been putting my meals into MFP and I'm usually low on calories, high on protein and low on carbs. I am staying at 122-123. I haven't had a cheat day yet either. It's just been 11 days on maintenance so far. Any suggestions, I'll take them!

Thanks, Chloe. I do like the 30 day shred. I started it on Jan 1 and have only missed 3 days! I have a couple other of Jillians Dvds but haven't tried them yet. It feels good getting stronger and smaller. I just bought a pair of size 2 pants today! I was in 22's!

Thank you everyone for posting here. I like to see this thread active. It will be fun to see Wuv here soon. And you too, Scorbett, Nola and Det47!

Beck81 02-01-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishette (Post 4617895)
Ishbel, great idea about a fruit for a carb in the evening. I totally forgot about fruit! I'm so predisposed to think of fruit as a big no-no! :devil: now I can be naughty without getting in trouble. Love it!

I know what you mean about tip toeing into P4. That's what I'm doing. I LOVE having fruit, it feels like such a treat. I thought I would miss bread and want that but the fruit tastes so good!

Beck81 02-01-2013 11:02 PM

Another question. I have been gassy and a little bloated. I thought maybe decaf coffee which I haven't had for a couple days. Any ideas?

Fishette 02-01-2013 11:06 PM

Can't help you - I've had the other problem. You would think I could avoid the Big C with all the whole grain English muffins every day. No so...

Maybe your problem has to do with gluten?