Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 7

You're on Page 6 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: New Pic complete :-) got the hair cut, and did the dark chocolate color. I know I will love this style. It's still a bit wet from the coloring, but I wanted to take it while it was still light outside. It should fluff up a bit more when all dry.

I stopped at the nail salon I used to go to (where I'd get acrylic nails because my nails were so brittle and peeled so much). Since doing IP and probably the added Purvana (hair/skin/nails biotin supplement) my nails are the best they have been in my entire life, even when I was a teen. I got a manicure and painted Fire Red! Some new thing - well new to me, called a gel nail color? The shop owners don't speak english well, so I'm not sure what the advantage is of it, but I was so happy not to get acrylic nails, I said sure.
    Love it!!! You look years younger.
    I had to smile about not being sure what they were putting on your nails but you got it in fire engine red. You have this make over business well under control!
  • Quote: Yay! I'm actually fine with losing just a little more slowly than some others. As impatient as I am, I think it's better for me. Of course, it's more expensive, but I feel better adjusting more gradually. Ok - we'll see how I feel after WI on Tuesday! I stayed the same last week after a 5 pound loss the week before. It's very erratic with me.
    I love seeing your update pictures because we started at the same weight and your goal is the same as mine. I lost the last 30 with IP but 44 before that.

But at your current weight your body shape is pretty much what mine is at 135. You are going to look fantastic at goal.

So speaking of body shape I finally took a huge step and did some exercise today.
    Someone had mentioned the Crunch Super Slimdown Pilates Yoga Blend DVD.
    The poster said she had actually been able to go through the whole thing when she weighed 270, so I thought I should be able to handle it. I think it will work well. I was only able to do 25 of the 45 minutes of it today but will try to improvr on that time tomorrow.
    I sure hope it does SlimDown as it says on the cover but sure has a lot of stretching.
    Pat
  • Quote: Joysh --

I had a question, PatNS, about your post. You said that your scale gave your maintenance calories amount was 1280. In the manual, it says the scale gives your resting metabolism; and that that is about 70% of your total metabolism. Is 1280 your resting metabolism? That is 70% of 1828 calories. I'm just curious if you all have found that it's better to aim for the "resting metabolism" and not include any extra. I'll understand it all better once I have the scale in my hands.
    Oh I didn't think about that.I will be interested to see what you think after you read what comes with the scale. But truthfully, my default position seems to be resting!

But about 1200 calories does seem to be my upper limit without gaining but I am sure I could raise that with steady exercise. So let me know what you think when you had a chance to figure out your scale.

I accept everything it says as gospel because it says I'm 5 years younger than I am, maybe it is just trying to flatter me so I don't throw in out in our current arctic weather.
  • Dana, I had meant to tell you before I am so happy that your heath scare worked out as it did. It must have been a terrifying few days.

Each time you mention holidays I get a memory jolt that Hanukkah is so early this year. In my family it's Hanukkah for my sister's family and Christmas for everyone else and they usually are close in time so I send gifts back home to the east coast at the same time. But this year is different, I better get on a run tomorrow!
    Pat
  • Quote: just a quick pop in cause i was surely missing everyone!!!!!
    i'm back home safe and sound....until the weekend again...

sorry i could not find any time to post this weekend while away at family time. i didn't even take my laptop because i knew i would be so busy!!

will catch up tomorrow...have to unpack and do loads of laundry now!!

but JUST HAD TO GIVE 2 SHOUT OUTS!!!!!!!!!

MOLLY....OMG!!!! 100 POUNDS GONE...YOU DID IT GIRLFRIEND!!! i just knew you would!! i agree with everyone....YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!! and such a HUGE INSPIRATION to never ever ever give up or give in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

BARB!!! OMG...i love love love love your new photo and you look 15 yrs younger!!!!!!!!!!!! love the hair love the new you, love the top!!! YOU JUST LOOK SO HAPPY AND FABULOUS!! i just heart you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE ELSE....I'M BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You have been missed!!! Happy to hear it was a great weekend with family, nothing better for sure. I get to see almost all of mine next weekend when we fly home. Can't wait.

Quote:
    So speaking of body shape I finally took a huge step and did some exercise today.
    Someone had mentioned the Crunch Super Slimdown Pilates Yoga Blend DVD.
    The poster said she had actually been able to go through the whole thing when she weighed 270, so I thought I should be able to handle it. I think it will work well. I was only able to do 25 of the 45 minutes of it today but will try to improvr on that time tomorrow.
    I sure hope it does SlimDown as it says on the cover but sure has a lot of stretching.
    Pat
    Good news on the exercise, enjoy!!!

Quote: Dana, I had meant to tell you before I am so happy that your heath scare worked out as it did. It must have been a terrifying few days.

Each time you mention holidays I get a memory jolt that Hanukkah is so early this year. In my family it's Hanukkah for my sister's family and Christmas for everyone else and they usually are close in time so I send gifts back home to the east coast at the same time. But this year is different, I better get on a run tomorrow!
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. Yes it was scary since I've already had cancer once and I really didn't want to go down that road again.

Hanukkah is very early this year, but what is really crazy is 2013. It's Thanksgiving weekend. Of course my mom is thrilled because that means she gets us home for Thanksgiving AND Hanukkah too next year. Of course that means that the following year Hanukkah should end up around Christmas. The first candle this year is Saturday night. I've got everything wrapped and ready to go.

My teenage son, who is often too smart for his own good, figured out what one of his gifts was this morning. We bought him a blue tooth speaker for his iphone so he could play the music stored on his phone, and it was wrapped and placed with all of the other gifts in the livingroom. So he's in the living room on his phone, fooling around with the bluetooth on it, and all of a sudden music starts coming out of one of his gifts. Of course that stinker figured out very quickly what we got him. We ended up giving it to him early. Now he will just have 7 gifts to open instead of the 8, for the 8 nights of Hanukkah.
  • Oh Dana - the gift outsmarted you! LOL

Susan - glad you had a wonderful family weekend, and that you are back with us for a few days before taking off again!

Halfagain - great new look! I had short hair most of my adult life, so now going for the longer look, and really liking it. (Also color frequently or I'd be all gray.)

Welcome to the Fab 50's BushyTailed! You won't find better support anywhere else!

Joysh - love the new pics - you're looking fabulous!

Teena - I want to make Chex mix too, but have been putting it off for the very reason what happened for you! I LOVE nuts, so know I won't be able to try even one without going overboard! Shake it off and begin each day new gf. You're doing great!

I know I'm missing some as I hardly posted at all over the weekend, so HELLO to everyone!

Well, I did begin P3 yesterday. The 1.5 lb that showed up on Sat. morning had disappeared by Sun. morning, so I jumped in with both feet! So far so good. Have to run to the store again after work to get a couple more things. P3 requires different food than what I've had in the house for 6 months, so need to re-stock.

Have a great OP day everyone!
  • Hello everyone, where are you?
  • Quote: Hello everyone, where are you?
    Internet was down and then I was dealing with DH needing a new prepaid cell phone and getting really impatient with the customer service people and now I'm just catching up from being offline.

BUT, it's now time to make dinner. Busy, busy, busy.

Molly
  • I'm here, Teena!!

Welcome back Rainbow!

Started week 2 of phase 3 today - down 2.2 pounds over the past week. I know it won't last, but I love that I can have the big breakfast and still lose!
  • Quote: Love it!!! You look years younger.
    I had to smile about not being sure what they were putting on your nails but you got it in fire engine red. You have this make over business well under control!
    LOL yep, that is funny - do whatever, make it RED! I'm still liking them so I guess I did well.

Quote: Oh Dana - the gift outsmarted you! LOL

Susan - glad you had a wonderful family weekend, and that you are back with us for a few days before taking off again!

Halfagain - great new look! I had short hair most of my adult life, so now going for the longer look, and really liking it. (Also color frequently or I'd be all gray.)

Well, I did begin P3 yesterday. The 1.5 lb that showed up on Sat. morning had disappeared by Sun. morning, so I jumped in with both feet! So far so good. Have to run to the store again after work to get a couple more things. P3 requires different food than what I've had in the house for 6 months, so need to re-stock.

Thank you Greeniris, and once again Congratulations for taking the leap into P3! I'm proud of you. Wow that's just awesome. I can't wait to join you in maintenance.

Teena - I LOVE your new avatar Yep every now and then stuff happens, and we just have to move on. You are doing great! Sounds like you have what it takes to get to goal to me with your can-do attitude.

I just found out I'm going with a group from work to see the Seattle Men's Chorus doing "Baby it's Cold Outside" this weekend. Hubby doesn't get to come with, but it should be fun with my co-workers to hang with. One of my team mates sings in the Chorus http://backbeatseattle.com/2012/12/0...benaroya-hall/ I've already tried on the black sequin dress, but it's too snug still. No worries I'll wear slacks and a nice top (layers I think will be good) I'm excited. I haven't been to a movie, let alone a live performance of anything in years. The group is planning on dinner out and "noshing"... that has me a little worried, but there's other IP'ers in the group and ex-IP'ers who know the protocol. I'm sure they will be supportive rather than enablers in the wrong direction.
  • Quote:

Enjoy those phase 3 breakfast, they are yummy!

Quote: Hello everyone, where are you?
    Busy day. Love your new pic.
  • Quote: LOL yep, that is funny - do whatever, make it RED! I'm still liking them so I guess I did well.

I just found out I'm going with a group from work to see the Seattle Men's Chorus doing "Baby it's Cold Outside" this weekend. Hubby doesn't get to come with, but it should be fun with my co-workers to hang with. One of my team mates sings in the Chorus http://backbeatseattle.com/2012/12/0...benaroya-hall/ I've already tried on the black sequin dress, but it's too snug still. No worries I'll wear slacks and a nice top (layers I think will be good) I'm excited. I haven't been to a movie, let alone a live performance of anything in years. The group is planning on dinner out and "noshing"... that has me a little worried, but there's other IP'ers in the group and ex-IP'ers who know the protocol. I'm sure they will be supportive rather than enablers in the wrong direction.
    How fun! I'm sure you will find something to eat when you are out to dinner, especially if you are going with others who are on IP also. There is security in numbers for sure.

----------------------------------
    I bought the new pasta package from IP today. Other than it wasn't very much, it wasn't too bad for low carb pasta. I put some WF pasta sauce on it, and it was edible.
  • 100 pounds!!!!!! Oh my!!!! That is wonderful, Molly, Congratulations!!!
  • Hi everyone! It's just been a busy day, keeping me away from the computer. In fact, I did my grocery shopping early pm today and then decided to immediately go out again and visit my local Canadian Tire to pick up a food processor I'd been eyeing (now on sale) and a few other items. I found myself thinking that I have more energy these days... guess carting 50 lbs less body weight around helps!

Rainbow - nice to see you back & glad that you had a great weekend.

YesMyQueen - I think most of us have had some momentary lapses. The thing is to just accept it for what it was, and move on. Which it certainly sounds like you are doing. Actually I give you a lot of credit for being able to ignore yummy Chex mix even being available in the house, let along having withstood the 'trials and tribulations' of sampling it while making it. I still avoid bringing a lot of food items into the house, knowing that they'll just tempt me.

HalfAgain - sounds like a nice evening with your co-workers. And it's great to know that there are other current and past IPers in the group. For sure you'll have lots of support. Have a great time.

Dana - had to laugh at your story about your son 'finding' his gift. LOL.

GreenIris - I know what you mean about re-stocking with different items for P2 breakfasts. I bought a few things for my 'trial period' that I didn't quite use up, and that are still in my pantry or frozen in my freezer. The interesting thing is that they aren't beckoning 'eat me!' to me. I hope this is an indication that I've developed better eating habits overall. (thankfully though, I only bought a small container of blackberries and did finish them and the container of Greek yogourt while in P3 temporarily - having those around would have been more of a challenge). I was worried especially about having a bunch of apples in my crisper... they sure tasted good last week - but I think it's more bearable, seeing them but not being able to indulge, knowing that I'll soon be eating them 'legally' again.

As I was out and about today, I noticed my jeans are feeling much looser. I think I'll soon be ready for the next size down. Yay! And I'm especially happy because I can feel/see that my tummy area is improving. Double Yay!!

That's all for now. Hope everyone has had a good day.
  • Do you Canadians buy everything from the tire store? Then again, no one has said they bought some tires there. Just curious...