3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270731-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-a.html)

chenry970 12-27-2012 09:06 PM

Starting soon but have a couple questions

Hi, I have read almost all of the Phase 1 posts but I have a couple of questions.

1. What sugar substitutes are ok to use and which should be avoided?

2. Has anyone tried the ThinkThin protein bars or compared them to the IP bars?

Thanks so much!

scorbett1103 12-27-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenry970 (Post 4566073)
Hi, I have read almost all of the Phase 1 posts but I have a couple of questions.

1. What sugar substitutes are ok to use and which should be avoided?

2. Has anyone tried the ThinkThin protein bars or compared them to the IP bars?

Thanks so much!

The big sweetener to avoid is aspartame. You also want to watch out for anything loaded with sugar alcohols - companies use the sugar alcohols to make sweet products super low carb - but they cause BAD digestive reactions in a lot of people.

I looked up the stats on the Think Thin bars. They seem to be quite high in calories (200 or more, where IP bars tend to top out around 160 calories), but most concerning was the carbs. They are all VERY high in carbs with little dietary fiber. Some companies go with the idea that sugar alcohols should be subtracted from the total carb count - but because of the digestive issues I mentioned before, and because they DO still have a glycemic effect on the body (even if it is lower than regular sugar) I do NOT subtract them. My personal opinion - but I would not use them as a comparable IP product.

chenry970 12-27-2012 10:30 PM

Thanks so much for your reply!

lisa32989 01-06-2013 01:15 PM

Bump. Use this thread to discuss Alternative Products.

AnnaBoBanna 01-06-2013 01:21 PM

Thanks Lisa! I'm going at it with alternatives this time around.

BarbMomof3 01-06-2013 01:27 PM

Newbie here with a question....

Hi everyone. I am so excited to be here. 3 Fat Chicks is the best!!!
I am laid off right now, so I am doing some alternatives.

Are there any alternative protein packs like the potato puree? I love Rainbow's recipes--she rocks!

Thanks for being such a great support! I hope to be able to do the same support for someone else someday!!!

lisa32989 01-06-2013 01:31 PM

From what I understand, IP is the only place to get the potato puree. But so many other items are available as alternative

If you are doing only alt, you can get IP products at http://www.plainprotein.com/ or http://www.dietnomoreonline.com/default.aspx for IP products

BarbMomof3 01-06-2013 01:42 PM

Potato Puree

Thanks! Do you know if it's resticted? It has 7 carbs....

DJ72 01-06-2013 02:06 PM

I would like to thank each and every one of you who has posted on this thread. I too am doing the Alternative plan and just started. This is my 5 th day on the plan. I am starving at time so I run and drink water. I miss my red wine at night like crazy... And that kind of scares me because I did not realize how much of a habit it had become. I quit smoking in 2002 and I miss the wine as much as I did my smokes. Luckily for me it was easy to quit! I am all for this alternative plan as it is very affordable and I live in the country and travelling to see a coach is not an option. I can hold myself accountable!
Thanks again everybody.

WingnutandMe 01-06-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbMomof3 (Post 4577739)
Thanks! Do you know if it's resticted? It has 7 carbs....

No, restricted is more than 8 carbs.

Molly

WingnutandMe 01-06-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ72 (Post 4577783)
I would like to thank each and every one of you who has posted on this thread. I too am doing the Alternative plan and just started. This is my 5 th day on the plan. I am starving at time so I run and drink water. I miss my red wine at night like crazy... And that kind of scares me because I did not realize how much of a habit it had become. I quit smoking in 2002 and I miss the wine as much as I did my smokes. Luckily for me it was easy to quit! I am all for this alternative plan as it is very affordable and I live in the country and travelling to see a coach is not an option. I can hold myself accountable!
Thanks again everybody.

You can do it. I was on IP for 3 months, but problems with my coach caused me to go on my own. That was 9 months and 70.4 pounds ago. Read the alternative threads and ask questions. We're here to support each other.

As for wine, it's not exactly the same, but read what Rainbow's done, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ml#post4459888

Molly

Psycht 01-06-2013 03:09 PM

Hi All!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well. This is my first weekend on IP (using alternatives) and while it has been difficult, I am proud to say I stayed on program! I had to go to Costco and just avoided looking at all the samples:)

I have a couple of product questions that I did a search on but did not come up with any answers.

Spiru-tein shakes - http://www.spiru-tein.com/products/p...l.php?id=45912 - are they kosher? I have a feeling the carb count is too high....

Salmon Jerky - I wondered if I could eat an ounce of this at lunch once and a while and then just have one ounce less of meat/fish in the evening.

Thanks for any assistance that you can give me :)

scorbett1103 01-06-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycht (Post 4577868)
Hi All!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well. This is my first weekend on IP (using alternatives) and while it has been difficult, I am proud to say I stayed on program! I had to go to Costco and just avoided looking at all the samples:)

I have a couple of product questions that I did a search on but did not come up with any answers.

Spiru-tein shakes - http://www.spiru-tein.com/products/p...l.php?id=45912 - are they kosher? I have a feeling the carb count is too high....

Salmon Jerky - I wondered if I could eat an ounce of this at lunch once and a while and then just have one ounce less of meat/fish in the evening.

Thanks for any assistance that you can give me :)

RE: Spiru-tein - the carb count (11g net carbs) would make it a restricted item. The protein count is a little low (14g) but not totally out of range. You would have to mix it with water, and if it is meant to be mixed with milk you may find the flavor a little weak. If you don't like the bars or snack food this would be OK as your once-per-day restricted item, but personally I prefer my restricteds to feel like a little indulgence :)

RE: salmon jerky, it all depends on how it is prepared. Many commercial jerky products use sugar to cure the meat, and that is not IP compatible. I looked up the Alaska's Best original recipe salmon jerky, that one looked OK (0 carbs, a little on the high end in fat but not unacceptable). And just be aware of the high sodium content of jerky, drink extra water and try to avoid using soup or chili packets the same day, they are also higher in sodium.

Psycht 01-06-2013 03:47 PM

Thanks SCORBETT!

The jerky I have came from Natural Grocers and here is the nutritional on it:

Calories: 80
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 320 mg
Carb: 2g
Protein: 16g

Phase 1 says to only have wild salmon once a week. I would assume that would be 7 ounces of wild salmon. If I was to have say one ounce of salmon jerky for lunch and than say 4 ounces of chicken for dinner, would I have to limit myself to the jerky only once a week in your opinion?

scorbett1103 01-06-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycht (Post 4577929)
Thanks SCORBETT!

The jerky I have came from Natural Grocers and here is the nutritional on it:

Calories: 80
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 320 mg
Carb: 2g
Protein: 16g

Phase 1 says to only have wild salmon once a week. I would assume that would be 7 ounces of wild salmon. If I was to have say one ounce of salmon jerky for lunch and than say 4 ounces of chicken for dinner, would I have to limit myself to the jerky only once a week in your opinion?

The carbs in that brand tell me it is cured with sugar, which means it is a no-go on phase 1. If you can find one of the brands that have no carbs, use that. Also remember that the ounces of meat are meant to be raw, which includes all the water that is depleted when you make jerky. 1oz of jerky meat is likely a lot closer to 2-3oz of whole meat. And because of the high sodium content (more than the once per week salmon restriction, which I believe is because salmon is a fattier fish) I would still limit using it to once or twice a week.