Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/233.7/220

Height: 5"11

Default Lean Mass going up?

Yesterday I completed my 2nd WI, and for the 2nd time my weight has dropped (8lbs, 2.8lbs) AND my lean mass has gone up (5lbs, 5lbs). My coach says when lean mass increases its an indication of 'cheating', because my tank is probably filling up with sugar store. My question is, since I know I have not cheated..but I did have some garlic broccoli last week from the Chinese restaurant that may have had sugar, is it possible that I may just be losing body fat and gaining muscle? I don't work out. I asked her to explain the 'tank' and she said it can hold 3-5 lbs of sugar store. How then does that account for 10lbs increase in lean mass and also 11 lbs decrease in weight? For the 2nd week she's hinted at me 'cheating'. I thought it was a good thing when your body fat percentage goes down..instead she makes me feel like that's a bad thing!

Anyone else have similar issues?

S 264
C 253
G 225

I stated at 36% body fat and now I'm 29% and they make me feel like this is bad, but I want to celebrate.

Last edited by az365; 11-20-2012 at 05:54 AM.
az365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #2  

Oh my...congrats on 10+ lbs gone forever!

I have a couple things
First, read Mondays Daily chat. Another person's LM is going down. Read comments about inaccuracies of measurement

Second
I'm sorry your coach is treating you like that. I would not wait until next week to have a frank discussion about how you are feeling. Call him or her. You are the customer (paying $$$$) and deserve to have a good experience while doing IP. They may have good intentions and not know how they are making you feel. Cheats don't have to be intentional but can be cheats nonetheless. There is just a way to work with a client to help them learn and grow and empower them without making them feel like a cheater.

And then again, it could be crazy inaccuracies of the measurement tool. Read that other thread and you'll see what I mean.

But the client-coach relationship sounds like it needs some work if it is going to survive.

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-20-2012 at 06:14 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #3  

It was not my intention to make it seem like I have a bad coach. She's great. We have a great relationship so far. I was only trying to give full disclosure on the situation. I'm just wondering if the lean mass discussion may be a result of lack of information on the coach's part in explaining it or if others have experienced similar issues and can provide some in-the-field analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Oh my...congrats on 10+ lbs gone forever!

I have a couple things
First, read Mondays Daily chat. Another person's LM is going down. Read comments about inaccuracies of measurement

Second
I'm sorry your coach is treating you like that. I would not wait until next week to have a frank discussion about how you are feeling. Call him or her. You are the customer (paying $$$$) and deserve to have a good experience while doing IP. They may have good intentions and not know how they are making you feel. Cheats don't have to be intentional but can be cheats nonetheless. There is just a way to work with a client to help them learn and grow and empower them without making them feel like a cheater.

And then again, it could be crazy inaccuracies of the measurement tool. Read that other thread and you'll see what I mean.

But the client-coach relationship sounds like it needs some work if it is going to survive.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #4  

Right. Did you read the other thread I referred you to?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

The thing about the body composition scales is that they use their "body fat %" reading to calcluate the lean muscle mass. That body fat analysis can be wildly inaccurate which throws off the LMM reading as well. A scale cannot accurately measure Body fat, you would actually have to go through an xray procedure or hydroelectric weight to get a most accurate analysis. Even fat calipers are more accurate than those scales.

I think a lot of coaches put their faith in those scales but really they're not much more than bells and whistles. Plus some coaches dont' even realize that we lose 1lb of lean muscle mass with every 4lb of weight loss (LMM includes connective tissue and such that is no longer needed as we drop fat - it is basically EVERYTHING but the fat in our bodies). Sounds like your coach might need a new scale if her readings are that far off, but if the readings concern you then maybe talk to your doctor about getting an accurate Body Fat analysis done.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=56830
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #6  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

My former coach would say that I cheated whenever the lean mass number dropped, but that my intestines were full of food whenever the lean mass number rose. Ridiculous.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 282 / ticker / 180

Height: 5'11"

Those scales have a margin of error and results can change drastically depending on the clothing you are wearing or time of day you use it. They are good for identifying a trend of a long period of time but not so much for weekly measurements.

My coach expected 0.5% fat loss and 0.5% muscle gain each week but the scale she uses has a 1% margin of error.

Regarding the Chinese food, I would just avoid that all together and make your own at home. Most restaurants typically use a lot of hidden sugar and sodium.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Right. Did you read the other thread I referred you to?

Not yet.. I was on my way to work early this morning. I'm about to read it now. Thanks.