Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #16  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
We each have to find out for ourselves what works for us and what makes sense to us and what we observe to be true. Not to mention that every body is different and may react and respond differently to various things. So, if what I said made sense to you - fine. If it didn't, no worries. And, think about this: if things put on your skin couldn't get into the body, than why can some cosmetics and other chemicals you come in contact with through your skin pollute your body and cause metal toxicity, immune system problems, cancer and lord know what else? There is plenty of data to support this, not just the HGC diet (which though I am personally not fond of, does work very well). We live in a society driven by money. Drug companies, chemists, cosmetics companies and large food corporation -among other vested interests - would like us to believe that no matter what poisons we put on or in our bodies cannot really harm us. Well, guess again.
I understand what you are saying here - however to build on what John mentioned - not all molecules are created equal. You cannot necessarily compare toxins that can pass through the skin and affect your body with olive oil until you confirm that you are talking about molecules of similar size and absorbability. It's apples and bananas. Also, your body utilizes the content of olive oil via digestion - your body cannot assimilate the nutritional makeup of olive oil by osmosis.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #17  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Tuli you can choose to be offended or you can choose to be thankful that you learned something new. You're obviously trying to be helpful and no doubt the lotion you're reccomending is top notch. That doesn't change the facts. The facts are that:

A) HCG works because you're eating 500 calories a day and for no other reason.

B) The fact that you observed increased weight loss when changing to a non oil based lotion doesn't mean that the fatty acids in lotion are stored as fat in our bodies. While I'll allow for the remote possibility that the lotion you were using was somehow affecting you the most likely case is coincidence.

Personally I'm always thankful when I learn something new. Today I learned that Trader Joes sells lotion that is worth checking out.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #18  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

You indeed absorb many things through your skin. I used a progesterone cream every day during peri-menopause because progesterone doesn't make it through the stomach acids long enough to be absorbed through the intestines, so the best way to get it in your body is through the skin. I believe it goes into the lymphic system rather than the bloodstream, because the instructions were to rub it into a fatty area of the skin. There are several brands of progesterone cream so I had to get one that was best absorbable, because as folks have said many creams are too large to be easily absorbed.

I haven't tried this myself, but I heard that if you put a clove of garlic between your toes, you can taste it after about 20 minutes. That seems like a fun experiment to try, but I'm rarely barefoot in the kitchen so I never think about it when I'm around garlic.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #19  
I'm just saying...

S/C/G: 182.5/see tracker/147

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Tuli you can choose to be offended or you can choose to be thankful that you learned something new. You're obviously trying to be helpful and no doubt the lotion you're reccomending is top notch. That doesn't change the facts. The facts are that:

A) HCG works because you're eating 500 calories a day and for no other reason.

B) The fact that you observed increased weight loss when changing to a non oil based lotion doesn't mean that the fatty acids in lotion are stored as fat in our bodies. While I'll allow for the remote possibility that the lotion you were using was somehow affecting you the most likely case is coincidence.

Personally I'm always thankful when I learn something new. Today I learned that Trader Joes sells lotion that is worth checking out.
Hey JohnP,

I am not at all offended. Just having a different viewpoint. And when all is said and done, using a cream with Collagen (which you are supposed to get on IP) that is oil, toxins and perfume free could certainly not harm anyone. If it works for you - do it. Otherwise, forget it. If anyone is happy with what they are using (whether olive oil or petroleum by-products), it was not my intention to try to change their minds. This post was for people who were looking for an oil free moisturizer that also happens to have collagen and is inexpensive. Not sure how it became some sort of crusade. Was never my intention.
Tuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #20  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Cool.

By the way I don't know squat about lotions. Just a bit about human physiology.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #21  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
Hey JohnP,

I am not at all offended. Just having a different viewpoint. And when all is said and done, using a cream with Collagen (which you are supposed to get on IP) that is oil, toxins and perfume free could certainly not harm anyone. If it works for you - do it. Otherwise, forget it. If anyone is happy with what they are using (whether olive oil or petroleum by-products), it was not my intention to try to change their minds. This post was for people who were looking for an oil free moisturizer that also happens to have collagen and is inexpensive. Not sure how it became some sort of crusade. Was never my intention.
And thanks again for recommending the Trader Joe's Nourish. I bought some. It does feel good on the skin too. Always wonderful to find a low cost option.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #22  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Just think about if this weren't true ... you could squeeze someone's flab too hard and squeeze their fat out ...
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote