Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #1  
started IP oct. 09 2012

S/C/G: 199.8/163/150

Height: 5'4"

Question IP vitamins.. any alternatives?

I was just wondering if anyone has gone to using alternative vitamins instead of the IP ones? I love the IP packets and food and don't mind paying more since I actually love their food but when it comes to the vitamins I find the IP ones are costly and would rathe by my own at the pharmacy... Are there big differences in those products and will they affect my losses? I am debating this and would like some input on what you all think....

Thanks in advance!
guil28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #2  

Check the alternative threads where this has been discussed/answered
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

As Lisa said, there has been a lot of discussion on the vitamins in the Alt threads. The one thing I will say is that of all the supplements, the one I've found that you really can't substitute is the Potassium Calcium. A high protein diet already puts strain on your liver & kidneys, and most commercially available Potassium supplements contain a form of potassium that is harder on your body to digest - and puts further strain on your organs. The IP form is extremely bio-available and is a broken-down form of Potassium, so it's much gentler on your system.

If you are going to shop around for supplements, make sure you pay attention to the FORM of the nutrient, not just the dose.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #4  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
As Lisa said, there has been a lot of discussion on the vitamins in the Alt threads. The one thing I will say is that of all the supplements, the one I've found that you really can't substitute is the Potassium Calcium. A high protein diet already puts strain on your liver & kidneys, and most commercially available Potassium supplements contain a form of potassium that is harder on your body to digest - and puts further strain on your organs. The IP form is extremely bio-available and is a broken-down form of Potassium, so it's much gentler on your system.

If you are going to shop around for supplements, make sure you pay attention to the FORM of the nutrient, not just the dose.
Scorbett - I'm so glad you're here . I've been wondering the same thing about the supplements, and that's really helpful information!
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #5  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

I tried using some of the alternative supplements that were discussed on previous threads. I ended up going back to the IP ones.

I didn't feel as good on the alternative ones and also had issues with the big C. If you are going to stick with IP packets & bars, I would recommend you stick with the IP supplements too.

I currently use alternative packets & snacks, but use only IP supplements.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #6  

I looked for the multi vitamins in other brands but didn't find anything that was exactly or close enough to IP The ones that were close cost just as much to buy when i realized that we take them twice a day. I can give you a word of caution....an associate of mine decided that all those supplements weren't worth it. She ended up having to get an emergency gall bladder surgery because of lack of nutrients. She has put on a lot of weight and can never go on a high protein diet again. It scared the poot out of me!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Holy Cats! The thought of surgery from lack of nutrients sure is scary! Remember to take those pills!
I ended up buying a one a day multi vitamin as my IP coach feels the multi is "optional", but I don't recommend it. I think sticking with the IP pills is the easiest and best way to go.
tobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGirl3 View Post
Scorbett - I'm so glad you're here . I've been wondering the same thing about the supplements, and that's really helpful information!
Aw thanks One thing I keep finding with IP, nothing is there by accident, and there's a good reason WHY the supplements are set up the way they are, not just as additional revenue for the company. The forms of the nutrients are all very bioavailable, so our bodies work less hard absorbing them. I switched to alternative foods instead of IP packets but I still use all the IP supplements that are compulsory (required).

The only thing I've found that is completely unnecessary is the NoviCleanse. You can get natural psyllium from the health food store to "clean you out" and as long as you're drinking plenty of water you don't need to "detox" your organs with more supplements.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #9  
started IP oct. 09 2012

Wow thanks for all the answers... I was debating but I think that it is pretty clesr that they are worth the expense in the end... just like the rest of the products! Thanks again for the answers

PS: I do know that most of the answers have been posted somewhere but for some reason I find it very hard and time consuming to find the answers... Maybe there is something I am not doing right
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by guil28 View Post
Wow thanks for all the answers... I was debating but I think that it is pretty clesr that they are worth the expense in the end... just like the rest of the products! Thanks again for the answers

PS: I do know that most of the answers have been posted somewhere but for some reason I find it very hard and time consuming to find the answers... Maybe there is something I am not doing right
Dont worry about asking questions!!! ask away! I ask everything and anything I can. With so many of us newbies coming in each day there are bound to be a lot of repeats of questions and who knows? there may be some new stuff for all to learn. I agree, searching is cumbersome and I am a research person!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #11  
started IP oct. 09 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
Dont worry about asking questions!!! ask away! I ask everything and anything I can. With so many of us newbies coming in each day there are bound to be a lot of repeats of questions and who knows? there may be some new stuff for all to learn. I agree, searching is cumbersome and I am a research person!
I agree!! I am a research person too... but I have tried finding certain recipes and couldn't find them for the life of me with the search option!! I ended up giving up

Last edited by guil28; 11-01-2012 at 07:40 PM.