Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #1  
Started IP 10/17/2012

S/C/G: 148/127.5/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Why am I doing this to myself?

This is my second time on ideal protein. The first time I got over halfway to goal then gave up for various reasons. I'm back on now and it's the times when I'm hungry or staring at a plate of slimy green vegetables that I ask myself why I'm doing this. I question if I'm doing this for the right reasons. I don't have much weight to lose so I end up feeling superficial. But I do have positive reasons for being on the program. It can just be difficult to remember why when my stomach is crying out for pizza and chocolate.

How do you deal with these mental wars between your goals and your cravings?
healthyequalshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #2  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyequalshappy View Post
Whether you choose to be on the program or not, I cannot help you with. That is totally up to you. However, I can tell you what I do when I want to eat cheetos instead of a nice green leafy salad

One thing I do is pick foods I like. It was quite a splurge at the beginning, but I bought a huge variety of the packets so that I never have to eat the same thing twice in a week or even a few weeks (unless I choose to).

It sounds, though, that you are struggling more with the veggies. Your mention of "green slime" makes me think that you aren't finding veggies that you like, so eating them is a chore. Personally, once I don't enjoy what I DO get to eat, the diet becomes really tough to stick to because I start to feel deprived. I try to nip this in the bud. For example, I've gotten kind of sick of cukes in the last few days, so I've cut myself off from them for a while. I'll try them out again in a few weeks.

Have you looked into some of the alternative veggie recipes on here? One way I get them in is in an egg scramble, roasting them in the oven with garlic and olive oil, making kale chips (so delicious) or picking pretty colorful veggies and making snack packs (sometimes I sprinkle garlic salt on them to make them more satisfying). Some people love veggie purees (blech for me) and some like to sneak spinach into their drinks (not really my thing either), but the point is, there are options! Have hope! Experiment! Give yourself permission to toss something you don't like and start over with something you do like! Food is meant to nourish but it is also to be enjoyed! My hope for you is that you will come to love what you do eat and that it is not a chore.

Have a great Saturday!!!

Last edited by benice; 10-20-2012 at 01:56 PM.
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #3  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

I struggle too - if you look at my stats I don't have much to lose either and sometimes that alone gets me through - there is an end in sight.

I feel your pain with the green slime too. I'm not a fan of green veggies and doubt I'll eat them much when I'm off the program - even harder I hate them raw. Having been on plan for almost a month now I've learned that you just can't force yourself to like something.

Having said that I can tolerate some veggies and have even found I LOVE turnip fries and like many veggies roasted in the oven.

And for your "why am I doing this" question - last night my husband and I went out with another couple to a high end pizza restaurant. They all ordered pizza and beer and I had a rather icky green salad with a packet of WF dressing I brought and Perrier. That was a test of will and motivation but my personal goals are worth in.

Short term pain for long term gain is how I look at it.

Last edited by slow2lose; 10-20-2012 at 02:58 PM.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #4  
Started IP 7/20/2012

S/C/G: 250.4/???/155

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyequalshappy View Post
This is my second time on ideal protein. The first time I got over halfway to goal then gave up for various reasons. I'm back on now and it's the times when I'm hungry or staring at a plate of slimy green vegetables that I ask myself why I'm doing this. I question if I'm doing this for the right reasons. I don't have much weight to lose so I end up feeling superficial. But I do have positive reasons for being on the program. It can just be difficult to remember why when my stomach is crying out for pizza and chocolate.

Your veggies don't have to be slimy green! Before I started on IP, I rarely ate any veggies because I didn't like them either. But now I have found so many ways to make them so that I actually look forward to eating them! Check out some of the recipe threads, like LizRR's veggie puree recipes or how to make zucchini chips. The puree's are great for adding to soups. A lot of people here add spinach to their chocolate shakes in the morning and apparently you can't even taste the spinach. (I haven't tried this yet because I like to save my 4 daily cups of veggies to eat with my lunch and dinner. Sometimes I wish we could eat more than 4 cups a day!) This forum contains so many good recipes for veggies!
exactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #5  

Height: magmeepEVE

I think one of the advantages that those of us who have much more weight to lose have, is that we really are forced to try new veggies and find ways to eat them that we like. This sets us to using these same recipes in our maintenance phase of our lives. I know there is no choice for me but to embrace the vegetables in a big way, if not, I'll be back dieting in no time, which just is not what I have planned for my life.

And I could not stomach green slime either. I had enough of those kind of veggies growing up. I much prefer less cooked vegetables (fresh, stir fry, etc.). As said earlier in this thread, there are great recipes (Liz's Veggie Purees, Rainbow's recipes, veggie chips, mock zucchini "apples", etc.) that help you sneak veggies into your meals. And the spinach smoothies are one of the highlights of my day. I did that pre-IP, and I'm just happy I can continue that in this diet.

As to cravings, they go away to a large extent the longer you're on the diet. I find now that my cravings are due more to some emotional need, and I need to face those in order to live a more healthy life, so in that way, they are like a little present.

And if I'm craving something, I generally have some water or tea, with or without some stevia in it. People use Mio to flavor the water too. I like water, so I don't do that, but it might help you.

And there are wonderful recipes for making chocolate baked good with the IP packets. And pizza too with packets or cauliflower pizza. So maybe looking into things like that. It would give you more satisfying meals, and may help you get through the diet.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #6  
Started IP 10/17/2012

S/C/G: 148/127.5/125

Height: 5'4"

Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I have been working on variety with my veggies. I think I just need to work harder and add more variation. Starshine72 you have a really good point. My current mentality is to just force the veggies down knowing in a month or two I can stop eating them. I hope to adopt more of a long term view on finding ways to enjoy vegetables. One thing I've always figured is that I can handle them with dips or cheese or butter so who cares if I find new ways to cook them without those while dieting. I want to enjoy healthier foods though in the long run so ill give them a shot!

One more thing I'm curious about is if anyone has any further insight as to what your personal reason is for emotional eating. I am positive that my snacking prior to IP was emotionally tied, but I don't know what to. I've been trying to figure that out so I can stop the problem at the source.

Again, thank you guys for your support!
healthyequalshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #7  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Ah, combating emotional eating is not an easy task. Mainly, finding alternative behaviors to replace eating when stressed, bored, etc. is key. Go for a walk, read, call a friend, STAY AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN!

There are a couple of threads here regarding this subject you should read. (Also, you will probably get more responses if you post your questions in the daily chat thread instead of starting a whole new thread. And be sure to read & re-read the stickies at the top of the main IP page. You will probably find a lot of answers to your questions there as well.) Hope this helps.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...depressed.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ight-loss.html

Last edited by greeniris; 10-20-2012 at 04:34 PM.
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #8  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
Ah, combating emotional eating is not an easy task. Mainly, finding alternative behaviors to replace eating when stressed, bored, etc. is key. Go for a walk, read, call a friend, STAY AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN!

There are a couple of threads here regarding this subject you should read. (Also, you will probably get more responses if you post your questions in the daily chat thread instead of starting a whole new thread. And be sure to read & re-read the stickies at the top of the main IP page. You will probably find a lot of answers to your questions there as well.) Hope this helps.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...depressed.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ight-loss.html
Love your wedding picture! Gorgeous.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #9  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you evepet! It was a lovely wedding.
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote