Old 09-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/160/145

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy No red or yellow peppers? Tell me it ain't so!

Somewhere on this forum someone said her coach said no red or yellow peppers! I (and my husband too!) have been eating them since day one! Yikes. I've lost almost 30 pounds but............would not eating them make a huge difference? They've been my lifesaver.
capecodmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

My coach said no red or yellow peppers as well. However, every coach is different, and I believe other IPers are eating red and yellow bell peppers.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/319/230

Height: 6'-0

i have lost 77 and eat them all the time. have never been told not to.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/175

Height: 5' 5

The newest sheet reads BELL PEPPERS .... no specifics on colour, where as the OLD Phase 1 sheet said Green Peppers... maybe your coach still has the old sheet? I know the coach where I live never had the newest one and was a tad surprised when I walked in and handed him the new one! ;0)
Lorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #5  
IP start date 05/23/12

S/C/G: 208/150/140ish

Height: 5'5''

I eat ALL variations of bell pepper; couldn't survive without them - 40 lbs in 3.5 months

You be the judge. All coaches and dieters are different and your weight loss will be so as well.
Mufassia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/319/230

Height: 6'-0

and on some of the IP video's they cook with the red peppers. just saying. sounds like your coach needs to do some homework. this is the reason i started doing this without a coach lol.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #7  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Our coaches said no red, yellow or orange peppers, too carby. What I figure is for a whole pepper its something like the difference between 7 carbs for a green pepper and 14 for a yellow. So we just watch what other carbs we are eating for the day and make sure they are low. Like have the plain omelet (3 carbs) for breakfast and a Pineapple Banana (1 carb) drink for late snack and you've paid yourself back and more for the 7 extra carbs for the GOOD TASTING peppers.
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I had heard that red and yellow peppers were a little higher in carb than green, but that the difference was minimal (certainly not twice as many for a yellow as for a green), so I did some digging.

I could not find a single nutritional analysis site that found yellow and red peppers to be twice as high in carbs as green. At most the difference was 3 carbs. I did find one site on which yellow peppers were listed as significantly more calories and carbs than green, but the amount was different (they each compared 1 pepper, but one was 150g of green pepper compared to almost 190g of yellow).

When I calculated for 149 grams (about 1 cup diced) this is what I found.

yellow peppers contain 9 grams of carbs including 3 grams of fiber
red peppers contain 9 grams of carbs including 3 grams of fiber
green peppers contain 7 grams of carbs including 3 grams of fiber.

So a big ol' whoppin' 2g of carb difference for an entire cup (8 calories and 2g of carbs, that's not a significant difference).

My guess is the confusion is over the word "green pepper," which used to be the generic term for bell pepper even though not all bell peppers are green (just as brown rice was the generic term for whole grain rice, even though some brown rices were actually purple).

If someone did not know that green bell pepper was synonymous for bell pepper (no matter what color the pepper is - so red bell pepper was also called a red "green pepper" by folks using the "old" generic name they might conclude that red bell peppers were not allowed for some reason).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
and on some of the IP video's they cook with the red peppers. just saying. sounds like your coach needs to do some homework. this is the reason i started doing this without a coach lol.
I need my coach for accountability and to help tailor my plan for my specific health issues. It's great you have been able to make it without one, but not everyone can get along without.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #10  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Ok so I was off by a carb or two. And based on a whole pepper. I still watching what my carb combos are each day no matter what I'm eating. YMMV!!
Yellow peppers here.
Green peppers here.
Red peppers here.
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #11  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

I eat them all the time - no problems losing here. And for me it helps keep my food interesting. Without the variety, I'd go nuts!
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #12  

Height: magmeepEVE

The newest sheet does allow all the peppers. I eat all of them. I've lost almost 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I enter all my foods into myfitnesspal, and I never have too many carbs eating them. I love being able to eat them. I don't eat 2 cups of peppers at a time though.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/160/145

The green ones give me the burps. But, my hubby and I eat the red and yellows everyday. I have no belly problems with he reds and yellows. He's lost 45 pounds in 2 months, I'm down 30 so I guess they aren't messin' with us too much. Kaplods and Great Dane...thanks for the research. in the scheme of things I'm thinking that a few extra carbs - good veggie ones at that- are just fine and dandy!
Right there with you Lizzy! I find I'm eating the same things all the time lately. My husband still loves his salads twice a day, but if I see another leaf of lettuce, I may scream! I don't even like how it smells now. I'm not looking forward to phase 2 where I have to do veggies twice a day. At one time I was a vegetarian! I like all veggies but I'm just tired of cooking them since my hubby only wants salads. His idea of vegetables is Lima beans and corn! This too shall pass. 20 pounds left to go. I can do it!
capecodmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
Ok so I was off by a carb or two. And based on a whole pepper. I still watching what my carb combos are each day no matter what I'm eating. YMMV!!
Yellow peppers here.
Green peppers here.
Red peppers here.

These are the same resources I used for my calculations, and if you notice the red and green pepper nutrition information is for 149g of peppers, but the information for the yellow peppers is for 186g of yellow peppers (about 25% more).

If you compare EQUAL portions of red, green, and yellow you get the numbers I listed (149g of yellow pepper has only 9g of carbs, not 12 and the fiber count still rounds up to 2g (1.6g) - though I've seen it listed as 3g on other sites).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #15  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Eat them!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote