Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #1  

Default Question

I have a question, and I did not know where to post.
I just need to know. Can you eat wings that you make yourself? My coach gave me a recipe. I buy the frozen wings and bake them in the oven with franks hot sauce and seasonings ( pepper, garlic, sea salt)
I eat maybe ten. I am thinking they are fine,there is hardly any meat on them.
My Coach is not strict at all, so i cant go by what she says. I just need to make sure. If not I have been messing up. Want to ask before I keep on with it.
khtsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #2  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

Yes, but i'd take the skin off!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

I make my own buffalo "wings" by cutting chicken breasts into slices, seasoning well, frying in a pan with a little oil and then using some buffalo sauce and ICBINB spray. Sooo good. I eat it at least 1-2x/week. Buffalo chicken has always been one of my faves and I ate this even before IP.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #4  
IP Start: 8/15/12

S/C/G: 286/217/158

Height: 5'6"

I would avoid wings, the skin is so high fat and would be too tempting for me. You could use the Franks hot sauce on anything other than wings with skin removed. Earlier this week I made a a lettuce wrap with chicken and Franks hot sauce, it was great!
stargirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #5  
~Tara~

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5' 2"

I have been making chicken breast with Frank's sauce in the crockpot. About half an hour before you're ready to eat, shred it with two forks in the crockpot and let it soak up the juices. My husband loves it over lettuce with WF blue cheese- he says he could eat it twice a week. It's not my thing, so I make it for him when I want to eat something he doesn't like!

He has been craving wings, too, but since they have skin on and dark meat, I think it's just too much fat. Love your idea Anna, I am going to have to try that one!

Last edited by GoalFor40; 08-17-2012 at 10:40 AM.
GoalFor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
I make my own buffalo "wings" by cutting chicken breasts into slices, seasoning well, frying in a pan with a little oil and then using some buffalo sauce and ICBINB spray. Sooo good. I eat it at least 1-2x/week. Buffalo chicken has always been one of my faves and I ate this even before IP.

Yes. this sounds like a better type of wings. I would be afraid of the real wings since they have so much fat in the skin.
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Stealing this recipe - we LOOOVE wings in our house!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use skinless, boneless thighs, and cut them into thirds (or for bone-in thighs, I cut parallel to the thigh bone, so one piece has a bone running through it and two pieces are boneless).

Thighs have a bit more fat and calories than white meat, but the difference is quite small (less than 10 calories per portion, if I'm remembering my calculations correctly). Thighs have the advantage of being MUCH cheaper, and much more moist and flavorful. They're also more fail-proof (they survive overcooking much better than white meat).

Also, because modern chickens are so young, the thigh meat looks and tastes much more like white meat then it did in the past. So when I've served my boneless wings at parties, I get a lot of people asking "do you brine your chicken, how do you get the white meat so tender and juicy," and they're shocked when I say "I don't... those are boneless thighs."

Unfortunately boneless thighs are often harder to find than boneless breasts, so I often buy leg quarters and do the boning/skinning myself, and they're even cheaper and hubby loves legs. I cut the legs off (usually don't bother cutting off the skin since he wants the skin) then cut the thigh into three pieces parallel to the bone and remove the skin.

The only problem with thigh quarters (as opposed to even most bone-in thighs) is sometimes there's a bit of the back still attached that has to be cut off. You need a better knife and better knife skills to deal with that... so I leave that to hubby (who trained as a chef, working in high end restaurants). It really isn't that difficult, and if I had better hand-eye coordination and less arthritis in my hands I could manage it, but chicken is so slippery and Hubby's knife skills are so much better than mine, I'm happy to let him feel important.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-17-2012 at 12:32 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #9  
IP Newb

S/C/G: 195/195/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Great idea!!!!!!!!!! I may do this tonight!
Aimiloo is offline   Reply With Quote