3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Jicama? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264702-jicama.html)

Mom2Carter 08-16-2012 07:58 PM

Jicama?

I know this deliciously starchy vegetable is allowed on most low carb diets, anyone know about IP? I've seen some mixed thoughts when I Googled.

WingnutandMe 08-16-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Carter (Post 4439865)
I know this deliciously starchy vegetable is allowed on most low carb diets, anyone know about IP? I've seen some mixed thoughts when I Googled.

It was added as a veggie (not restricted) on the May 2012 revised IP Phase 1 sheet. It's fair game for your 4 cups a day veggies.

Molly

Lizzy63 08-16-2012 08:12 PM

I did not have the latest sheet, but I was very excited when I heard that it was added to the list. Made a bunch of jicima chips in my dehydrator last weekend - yummm!!! :)

ShellyT 08-16-2012 09:02 PM

That sounds yummy! How did you make the chips?

LizRR 08-17-2012 12:53 AM

I am picking up Jicama this weekend to try out some new recipes!

Baked Jicama Dessert:
2 cups jicama -- very thinly sliced
2 packets Sweetener
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
WF Caramel Sauce or Davinci Caramel Syrup

Preheat oven to 350.
1. Spray a small (8 or 9") pie pan liberally with cookng spray.
2. Arrange 1/2 of the jicama slices in the bottom of the pie tin.
3. Sprinkle 1 packet Sweetener and 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon and 1/4 tsp Apple Pie Spice, drizzle with Caramel Sauce/Syrup. Repeat the layering.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
6. Serve warm with IP ice cream!

Inspiration Recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...s/jicama.shtml

Baked Jicama Fries:

Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
1. Cut jicama into 1/4″ thick lengthwise slices, then cut again into 1/4″ sticks to resemble fries. Try to keep them sliced as evenly as possible for even baking.
2. Toss sticks with evoo.
3. Mix together with spices in a ziploc baggie, toss in jicama, seal bag and give it several good shakes to evenly coat the fries.
4. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spaced apart so they are not touching each other.
5. Bake for 15mins. Remove from oven, toss/flip fries, return to oven for another 10mins or until baked to a nice golden brown color.

Inspiration Recipe: http://fastpaleo.com/baked-jicama-fries/

Top 10 Ways to Enjoy Jicama!:
http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematte...o-enjoy-jicama

Ways to cook a Jicama:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...cook-a-jicama/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...like-a-potato/

Mom2Carter 08-17-2012 12:58 AM

Yum!! Can't wait to try some recipes out. Although I think to start out with I just might cut off a chunk and eat it like an apple :)

LizRR 08-17-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Carter (Post 4440080)
Yum!! Can't wait to try some recipes out. Although I think to start out with I just might cut off a chunk and eat it like an apple :)

I had plentry of it raw this week as the garnish on my sashimi lunch, lol...I ate it all up!

rainbowsmiles 08-17-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizRR (Post 4440084)
I had plentry of it raw this week as the garnish on my sashimi lunch, lol...I ate it all up!

what does it taste like???

greeniris 08-17-2012 09:36 AM

The first way I had it was cut up like fries, then squirt some lime juice on them. Keeps well in a baggie in fridge for several days.

stargirl66 08-17-2012 09:59 AM

Pico de Gallo Salsa

Original recipe (I just subbed out the balsamic vinegar): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mikis-j...10=1&e7=Recipe

Make a half recipe if you don't have a crowd to feed!
Ingredients
  • 12 roma (plum) tomatoes, finely diced
  • 2 jicamas, peeled and finely diced
  • 4 poblano peppers, finely diced
  • 1 red onion, finely diced
  • 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
  • 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 4 limes, juiced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup salt
Directions
  1. Toss diced tomatoes, jicamas, poblano peppers, red onions, and jalapeno peppers with garlic, lime juice, cilantro, white balsamic vinegar, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.

stargirl66 08-17-2012 10:07 AM

Root Vegetable Bake

Original recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/root-ve...10=1&e7=Recipe

Ingredients
  • 2 rutabaga, peeled and chopped
  • 2 jicama, peeled and chopped
  • 2 turnips, peeled and chopped
  • 1/8 cup minced fresh rosemary, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 t. sea salt

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Combine rutabaga, jicama, and turnips in a large baking dish.
  3. Mix rosemary, olive oil, garlic, and sea salt in a small bowl; pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until vegetables are tender, 35 to 45 minutes.

GoalFor40 08-17-2012 10:22 AM

I am definitely looking for jicama this week- we are getting tired of salads, and we tried turnip fries last week but they were a little too spicy for me, hoping this might be a good alternative. Thanks for the recipes, stargirl and LizRR!

stargirl66 08-17-2012 10:23 AM

Jicama Salad

Original recipe (I omitted carrot and sugar): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/singkam...10=1&e7=Recipe
Ingredients
  • 1 large jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into long thin strips
  • 1 green bell pepper, cut into long thin strips
  • 1 small red onion, sliced into thin lengthwise slivers
  • 2 green chile peppers - halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into strips
  • 1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup water
  • 2/3 cup vinegar
  • .5 c. pourable splenda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Combine the jicama, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, red onion, green chile peppers, ginger, and carrot in a large bowl. Whisk the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt together in a separate bowl; pour over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
ETA: Another very similar recipe I found uses cilantro, and would be nice addition to this recipe.

ShellyT 08-17-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirl66 (Post 4440331)
Jicama Salad

Original recipe (I omitted carrot and sugar): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/singkam...10=1&e7=Recipe
Ingredients
  • 1 large jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into long thin strips
  • 1 green bell pepper, cut into long thin strips
  • 1 small red onion, sliced into thin lengthwise slivers
  • 2 green chile peppers - halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into strips
  • 1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup water
  • 2/3 cup vinegar
  • .5 c. pourable splenda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions
  1. Combine the jicama, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, red onion, green chile peppers, ginger, and carrot in a large bowl. Whisk the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt together in a separate bowl; pour over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

This sounds yummmmmy!

DanafromAustin 08-17-2012 10:57 AM

I made the Baked Jicama last night, so good!

iwiggy58 08-17-2012 11:18 AM

MMMMM...I am going to try those Jicama fries! Thank you for a new idea!

Delgen 08-17-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4440187)
what does it taste like???

Rainbow, it is sweet, and sort of tastes like apple. I had never had it before IP, but wow, it is super good.

I made oven fries with it, sprinkled with cinnamon and stevia.

My son's GF just eats them raw like apples.

But be prepared...You will need an ax!;)

stargirl66 08-17-2012 01:32 PM

Jicama Hashbrowns

This is a "Must Try!" I would certainly reduce the oil, but otherwise, looks really good!

Borrowed from: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-ala-cleo.html

One jicama, peeled and shredded
1/4 of a green pepper diced
1/4 of an onion, diced
Salt/pepper to taste
Oil

Using a 2 quart saucepan, fill it about 1/2 way with water and sprinkle salt.
Get the water boiling and put in the shredded jicama. Let it boil for 15 minutes or so until the jicama is soft. Then drain the jicama in a colander that has small holes in it..Press down with a large spoon so the water releases.

In a frying pan, place about 2 Tbs. of oil. Mix the jicama in a bowl with the green pepper and onion and spices. In the heated oil place mounds of the
jicama mixture and flatten out with a spoon. Cook until they are slightly browned on one side, then flip if you can. The patties won't stay together, but you can scramble them until they are hot and the other veggies are soft.
Serve as you would hashbrowns.

One baseball sized jicama might make 3 servings. And one cup of jicama has 5 net carbs.

Note: The jicama I bought wasn't hard as rock and easy to cut and shred, so it might have taken less time. I was totally surprised how the shredded jicama softened up nicely in the boiling water. It tasted very much like real
taters...

rainbowsmiles 08-17-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delgen (Post 4440487)
Rainbow, it is sweet, and sort of tastes like apple. I had never had it before IP, but wow, it is super good.

I made oven fries with it, sprinkled with cinnamon and stevia.

My son's GF just eats them raw like apples.

But be prepared...You will need an ax!;)

thank you sweet lady :)

Delgen 08-17-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4440616)
thank you sweet lady :)

Well you are most welcome! that was the easiest:D thing I have done all day, and got a nice thank you for it!:D

DanafromAustin 08-17-2012 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=Delgen;
But be prepared...You will need an ax!;)[/QUOTE]

So true! I thought the skin would just peel away, lol. I dipped them into some WF caramel sauce today just like an apple. So good.

Delgen 08-17-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanafromAustin (Post 4440640)
So true! I thought the skin would just peel away, lol. I dipped them into some WF caramel sauce today just like an apple. So good.

I have used a mandolin and peeled the skin off in very small strips. It worked a lot better than trying to peel the whole thing.

rainbowsmiles 08-17-2012 05:36 PM

ok....so just got back from a crazy friday afternoon drive across town for a jicama...WHAT WAS I THINKING hahaha all those crazy drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanafromAustin (Post 4440640)

so, just had to TRY it....sliced one edge off, not too hard to slice off and not too hard to peel that small slice....then i sliced it thin and took a nibble...ok, not bad really...a faint apple resemblance. interesting!!!

i did get out a tiny bit of wf caramel dip, (don't really like it!! haha) so i added 1 tbsp of the wf maple syrup to thin it out and make it creamy....and that wasn't too bad. not exactly caramel apples....but not bad for a veggie!!

but with my try something NEW each week...i will have to decide what to do with it now!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirl66 (Post 4440585)
Jicama Hashbrowns

This is a "Must Try!" I would certainly reduce the oil, but otherwise, looks really good!

Borrowed from: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-ala-cleo.html

One jicama, peeled and shredded
1/4 of a green pepper diced
1/4 of an onion, diced
Salt/pepper to taste
Oil

Using a 2 quart saucepan, fill it about 1/2 way with water and sprinkle salt.
Get the water boiling and put in the shredded jicama. Let it boil for 15 minutes or so until the jicama is soft. Then drain the jicama in a colander that has small holes in it..Press down with a large spoon so the water releases.

In a frying pan, place about 2 Tbs. of oil. Mix the jicama in a bowl with the green pepper and onion and spices. In the heated oil place mounds of the
jicama mixture and flatten out with a spoon. Cook until they are slightly browned on one side, then flip if you can. The patties won't stay together, but you can scramble them until they are hot and the other veggies are soft.
Serve as you would hashbrowns.

One baseball sized jicama might make 3 servings. And one cup of jicama has 5 net carbs.

Note: The jicama I bought wasn't hard as rock and easy to cut and shred, so it might have taken less time. I was totally surprised how the shredded jicama softened up nicely in the boiling water. It tasted very much like real
taters...

now this recipe interests me...do you think with an egg white it would bind together????

Lizzy63 08-17-2012 06:52 PM

Shelly - Just sliced it thin with a madoline and put it on the dehydator trays - took 3 -4 hours at about 140. I added a little salt. Scorbett suggested cinamon and stevia or spelenda - probably will try that this weekend. Was a bit chewy, but even my friends not on IP liked it.

njkmaine 08-17-2012 07:07 PM

Thanks for the recipes Gang! Got my fries in the oven now; my father-in-law is skeptical - I told him he's in for a treat. One thing about this program; I've been trying more vegies that I've never heard of before.Not even sure how you pronounce jicama.

Lizzy63 08-17-2012 07:11 PM

I think it's pronounced he-ki-ma.

rainbowsmiles 08-17-2012 07:14 PM

yep lizzy....thats right....i looked it up before i went to the store haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWi4x0LuO1E

scorbett1103 08-17-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njkmaine (Post 4440890)
Thanks for the recipes Gang! Got my fries in the oven now; my father-in-law is skeptical - I told him he's in for a treat. One thing about this program; I've been trying more vegies that I've never heard of before.Not even sure how you pronounce jicama.

It's pronounced "HICKama" :)

rainbowsmiles 08-17-2012 08:02 PM

crispy jicama bacon????? say what???!!!!

seriously.....that looks so good!!! i need a dehydrator!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7...f3c013d061.jpg

Ingredients:
1 jicama peeled, and sliced paper-thin into rounds, strips, or chopped into 1/4 inch dice for bacon bits
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marinade:
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1-2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon maple syrup (could use wf maple syrup???)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Lay jicama out on parchment paper.

2. Coat both sides of jicama with a marinade. If making bacon bits, just mix the marinade with the jicama and spread onto parchment.

3. Dehydrate until crisp, flipping and transferring to mesh sheets 1/2 way through. The jicama may take up to 24 hours to get really crispy.

stargirl66 08-17-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4440837)
ok....so just got back from a crazy friday afternoon drive across town for a jicama...WHAT WAS I THINKING hahaha all those crazy drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, just had to TRY it....sliced one edge off, not too hard to slice off and not too hard to peel that small slice....then i sliced it thin and took a nibble...ok, not bad really...a faint apple resemblance. interesting!!!

i did get out a tiny bit of wf caramel dip, (don't really like it!! haha) so i added 1 tbsp of the wf maple syrup to thin it out and make it creamy....and that wasn't too bad. not exactly caramel apples....but not bad for a veggie!!

but with my try something NEW each week...i will have to decide what to do with it now!!

now this recipe interests me...do you think with an egg white it would bind together????

Re: Jicama Hashbrowns, I was wondering the same thing. I don't think it would hurt to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4440924)
seriously.....that looks so good!!! i need a dehydrator!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7...f3c013d061.jpg

Ingredients:
1 jicama peeled, and sliced paper-thin into rounds, strips, or chopped into 1/4 inch dice for bacon bits
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marinade:
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1-2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon maple syrup (could use wf maple syrup???)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Lay jicama out on parchment paper.

2. Coat both sides of jicama with a marinade. If making bacon bits, just mix the marinade with the jicama and spread onto parchment.

3. Dehydrate until crisp, flipping and transferring to mesh sheets 1/2 way through. The jicama may take up to 24 hours to get really crispy.

This looks wonderful! I'm officially shopping for a dehydrator :)

mightbe 08-18-2012 12:19 AM

I love jicama with a bit of cinnamon and splenda! If you pop it in the microwave or oven for a bit it tastes like baked apples...YUM! :D

scorbett1103 08-18-2012 07:07 AM

MMmmmmm.....what about pureed jicama with a little cinnamon and sweetener - mock applesauce!

mightbe 08-18-2012 10:16 AM

That sounds good too! I bet it would be really yummy to turn it into a crumble with some of the WF pancake syrup and an oatmeal packet...I might have to try this! ;)

BLUEJEWEL 08-18-2012 11:17 AM

I love this thread and it is just what I need. I am struggling this week and needed something new to inspire me.
I bought a bunch of Simply Bars...that was a HUGE mistake. They are really yummy and healthy, but they are very light and I found myself eating more than I was supposed to, sometimes 3 in one day. NOT GOOD! I think I will stick with the pure protien bars because they are more satisfying.
This week has been that week where no matter what I ate I would never besatisfied, I could eat a semi truck full of food and would still want more...I hate it. I know it is hormonal and it will pass.
Today is a new day...
Definitely picking up the jicama and the WF caramel. I am very fortunate I have a Sprouts very close and they carry all the WF products.

Another great Jicama recipe that I have made in the past:
Cut up in cubes
squeeze of lime
sprinkle salt
sprinkle chili powder
sprinkle cayenne if you like a kick.

I am going to the charger/cowboys game today...guess what I am bringing!!

Have a good one~

Lizzy63 08-18-2012 01:46 PM

Jicama is wonderful, but I learned the hard way to choose the smaller ones. Hubby picked me up a very large one, and it was not nearly as sweet - had an almost bitter taste. Once I sliced it up and dehydrated it with some cinamon and splenda, it was fine, but I would not have wanted to eat it plain!

Hgamroth 08-20-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4441217)
MMmmmmm.....what about pureed jicama with a little cinnamon and sweetener - mock applesauce!

I am going to try this one! :)

GoalFor40 08-20-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4441217)

I came back to this thread because I had the same question- I think I might give it a shot either tonight or tomorrow. Getting nervous about the piece I bought, though, because it's pretty big. They didn't have any small ones, only giant ones (about the size of a small canteloupe). Oh well, we'll see how it goes, hopefully it won't be bitter.

Hgamroth 08-20-2012 09:22 PM

Tried the Jicama dipped in caramel sauce and I really like it! Nice sweet treat.

iwiggy58 08-20-2012 09:24 PM

Oh goodie! Just bought some caramel dip today. Gonna try it tomorrow.

jebaughman 08-21-2012 12:19 AM

I make Jicama fries in the Actifry. Tasty and fairly fast.