Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #1  

Default Ideal Protein Frustrations

Hi -

I'm wondering if anyone else has had constipation or bloat while following the IP diet. I've been following it exactly as it's written including 10-12 glasses of water/day and 2 cups veggies twice/day and have been experiencing a lot of discomfort. My IP coach said to take the liquid magnesium, which I did, and had no success.

Also, my weight loss has been very slow. I've been on IP for 3 weeks and have lost only 6 pounds. I am a bit disappointed because Ideal Protein advertises that most women lose more per week. My coach feels that I am extremely insulin restistant and that I should just continue the IP plan, but I am frustrated. I've been on other low carb diets in the past that offered a lot more food and food choices each day than IP and also have lost 2 pounds per week, but at least I wasn't as restricted as I am on the IP plan.

Because of the restrictions, I still have hope that the IP plan should work. So I want to give it a little more time.

Has anyone else here had similar issues? IF yes, then please, please tell me if you came up with solutions.

Thanks,
RR
robinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #2  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinra View Post
Hi -

I'm wondering if anyone else has had constipation or bloat while following the IP diet. I've been following it exactly as it's written including 10-12 glasses of water/day and 2 cups veggies twice/day and have been experiencing a lot of discomfort. My IP coach said to take the liquid magnesium, which I did, and had no success.

Also, my weight loss has been very slow. I've been on IP for 3 weeks and have lost only 6 pounds. I am a bit disappointed because Ideal Protein advertises that most women lose more per week. My coach feels that I am extremely insulin restistant and that I should just continue the IP plan, but I am frustrated. I've been on other low carb diets in the past that offered a lot more food and food choices each day than IP and also have lost 2 pounds per week, but at least I wasn't as restricted as I am on the IP plan.

Because of the restrictions, I still have hope that the IP plan should work. So I want to give it a little more time.

Has anyone else here had similar issues? IF yes, then please, please tell me if you came up with solutions.

Thanks,
RR
are you eating salads too? they want 2 cups of veggies plus unlimited salad (but no dressing unless it is olive oil or Walden farms stuff.)

Make sure you are taking the Olive Oil... that will help. Also, if you like, The other magnesium I take at night is called Myo-calm PM by Metagenics... that works well...and helps you relax ;-)

Are you working out? Cause you are not supposed to, only walk really.

It is normal, from what I hear, to be constipated at first since you are not really eating much. BUT not bloated and all. Add more water if you can and walk
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #3  
NEW IP Dieter

S/C/G: 221/176.5/165

Height: 5 4 1/2"

Hi Robinra-

I am not sure if this will be helpful or not but when I started IP 6 weeks ago I had similar feelings. I felt weighed down, almost a too full feeling. This cleared up by the end of the 1st week (without laxatives). Week two was smooth sailing and then week three was horrible. I went from feeling full to being very hungry. This feeling passed in a few days and I have been comfortable ever since.

I have lost 15.5 pounds at the end of week 5 which is fine with me. I do have a lot of energy most of the time and my clothes are much bigger on me now. I sometimes have that too full feeling but it passes quickly. I think it is the amount of veggies I eat...and most of them are raw.

Hang in there if you can to see if things clear up! Your weight loss should speed up a bit then taper off to a steady 2-3 lbs a week. I have PCOS and I am extremely insulin resistant. You may want to ask to be tested for PCOS. It may provide some answers for you.

If you decide to leave IP then you may want to consider Dr. Gott's No Flour/No Sugar diet. It is much less restrictive. A few years back I lost 80 lbs on his diet. Unfortunately I gained 70 of it back I am planning to move to his diet when I reach my goal. It is really a lifestyle change.

Good Luck!
Band Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #4  

Thank you both for your help. It's good to know I'm not alone in this. I already take the required amount of olive oil but will increase my omega oils...and I will look into Dr. Gott's diet. I can't help wondering what is causing the uncomfortable full feeling after I eat some of the IP foods. This only happens after I eat the packets, not after eating veggies or lettuce.
robinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #5  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Thank you both for your help. It's good to know I'm not alone in this. I already take the required amount of olive oil but will increase my omega oils...and I will look into Dr. Gott's diet. I can't help wondering what is causing the uncomfortable full feeling after I eat some of the IP foods. This only happens after I eat the packets, not after eating veggies or lettuce.
I've noticed they are fizzy at times, especially the drinks... asked my coach too as I burp a lot from them...no clue why it does that...but it will go away.
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/224/206/150

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Hi -

Thanks,
RR
I too had a slow start, but I stuck with it because at least I was losing. Now I am averaging 3lbs a week. It will come off, you just have to stick with it. You need to make sure you get your olive oil in every day, it will cure your constipation. Perhaps you can take Gas-X as well to help with the bloating. IP is a very easy diet to follow even though it is strict. I like it because I don't have to count points or weigh things. Good Luck!
golfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

I just started the diet last Monday, the 5th. I had to weigh in early and had only lost 1 freaking pound! I know it's still early, but i'm nervous! This diet isn't inexpensive and i'm afraid i've invested this money into something that isn't going to work for me. I had done atkins previously and barely lost anything while maintaining constant keytosis. Anyone have any information or advise?!
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #8  

One thing I've found that helps with the constipation and bloating is taking the IP enzymes. I didn't take them for the first 3 and a half months I was on the plan but since starting them have felt less bloated and been more regular.
want2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/145/130

Height: 5'4"

HI there -

Don't dispair... it can take a while for your body to really start burning off the fat. e super religious about only eating what's allowed on the diet - absolutely no cheating - that will lessen weight loss by alot.... Also, the rate at which you lose weight can depend on how much you have to lose...

Also, about the constipation - I experienced severe constipation throughout the diet. All the veggies and water didn't do the trick - I'd go for 5-6 days - can you say discomfort? My dr. had me take 'Calm' - a magnesium supplement twice daily. That really helped. Google it - you can buy it online at several sites.

Anyways - good luck - keep with it - you'll see results! (and btw - 2 lbs a week is great! - it's in the right direction!)

-Teresa
Teresad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Robinra and Brittstar,

I experienced the bowel issues too. For me, I had to increase my omega 3, 6, 9 oil and add Ionic Fizz twice a day. You can by the Ionic Fizz online or at a health food type store. It is a magnesium drink, tastes great and works wonders for me! The oil helped alot but I didn't get back to regular until I added the fizz.

Britt star: regarding the slow weight loss, I had a problem with that on Atkins too. I actually gained weight! With this program it is coming off though.

Both of you might try adding more fat to your diet in the for of MORE olive oil or OMEGA 3/6/9 oil (like a barleans flax or Udos oil). Some people, especially those who have insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome, need more fat in their diets. I was just reading a book that suggests such persons need NO LESS THAN 30% fat in their diets to lose weight and must stay to lower carbs to kick off the ketosis process. Maybe it is worth a try??

Robinra: keep track of what packets you used and how your body responded then look at the product information online. Some packets have more acesulphame K as a sweetner others have more sucralose. For some people, the acesulphame K (aka acesulphame potassium) can cause some distress to digestion.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 166/156/135

Height: 5'4"

I have had constipation and bloating awful.

I even tried a salt water flush and it did not work.

I am going to try increasing the amount of veggies I eat. Sometimes 2 cups is hard to get down, I am never hungry on this diet!!

I am also trying the magnesium 'calm' drink and it has helped a little bit.

I will try adding in omega 3,6,9 and see if that also helps.

This is a great site!
Juelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 148/144/128

Height: 5'5 and a half.....because the half is so important :)

I take 1 Novi Lax in the morning and 3 at night. With consistent use, things keep moving.

Juelle- try blending your veg (raw spinach) in to the chocolate drink. You really can't taste it. OR, turnip fries and or kale chips. I like sauteed mroom in my omelette mix. I have not had a plate of steamed broccoli since week 1 as I really was ready to gag.
Julie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #13  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Make sure you are having 2 cups of lettuce with your 2 cups of vegetables..2x a day. I would also track to see if different IP products affect you differently. Some people react to the soy protein with bloating.

Novilax does work. I went through some periods of constipation but then it stopped.

Also: check to see if using walden farm products cause bloating.

Hang in there. It does work.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote