3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Help with veggies! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/262339-help-veggies.html)

efwilli 07-05-2012 05:19 PM

Help with veggies!

I'm in my 4th week of IP and SO happy to have found this forum. So far, I feel like I'm not doing as well as I could be and I think I'm in a veggies rut.

How do you get your veggies in? (1 or 2 C at a time?)
What are some of your favorites?
Do you use a dry measuring cup, or kitchen scale?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Maile 07-05-2012 05:38 PM

I roast vegetables in the oven..roasted cauliflower, brocoli...then use the leftovers in my salad the next day. I also measure my veges: do easy ones like spinach or cherry tomatoes. I dump 3 cs of veges in a salad with 2 cups of lettuce..lunch and dinner.
I also like roasted mushrooms.

Good luck .

LindseyTradeChic 07-05-2012 06:59 PM

Try steaming cauliflower with some spices or garlic and then put it in the blender or a bullet with a little oil.. make mashed "potatos." Also, I made rudabaga fries and they are VERY similar to real fries... I've been chopping 1 c. of celery into my lettuce. OH.. pan-fried zuchinni with herbs is great too!!

MimiLee 07-05-2012 07:08 PM

I made a veggie salsa and I put that on my salad along with some WF bacon ranch dressing.

Longhorn Energy 07-05-2012 07:10 PM

Omelet every morning with 1 cup of mushrooms that I saute, then add a cup of spinach, so theres 2 cups down for the day.

Lunch, I dont have veggies, doesnt work with my workplace

Supper, 8oz protein, 2 cups with supper

Very simple, very easy. Spinach is a great one as it has little taste and cooked, it almost disappears lol.

Another trick, make your salads 50/50 lettuce and spinach, very easy to hide a cup of spinach in your supper salad

aimeed3 07-05-2012 07:51 PM

I am so glad to see this thread. I logged on just now to post something similar.

I am a little picky when it comes to veggies. I am starting to try some new ones but I feel like I can only eat so much broccoli!

I dont have any advice as I am looking for some myself. I'll be watching this thread.

I like Longhorn's idea about 50/50 in your salad. How do you measure spinach like that?

mompattie 07-05-2012 08:15 PM

I have a salad for lunch, with some raw broccoli slaw and peppers added to it. For dinner I have my protein and 2 cups veggies, cooked in many ways - cauliflower is a staple you can steam it or roast it in small bite sized pieces sooo good! Steamed broccoli is a fav, grilled asparagus is also a fav, I love rutabaga fries as well another fav, I love sautéed mushrooms on my steak, so that's another way pod getting veggies in. I save 2 cups of veggies for evening, as I am addicted to rhubarb!! I nuke 2 cups frozen chopped rhubarb and mix some stevia in when cooked down. Serve alone or with an IP pudding of choice as evening snack, or you can even make a "crisp" with a bit of marg. and a porridge pack. Very good!!! So that's my 4 cups and salad!

aimeed3 07-05-2012 08:20 PM

ok what is rhubarb and where do you get it?

bigpassport 07-05-2012 10:04 PM

Do you have a grill? I got this . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6434-Pro...s=Grill+basket

and it made cooking veggies so much easier! I buy asparagus, tri colored peppers, zuchini, and yellow squash on the weekend. I wash them and cube them up and put them in a container in ther fridge. At night, I either throw a little olive oil in a sautee pan and sautee them, or put them on the grill in the grill basket. Like Maile, I make enough to have leftovers for breakfast (with omlette packet) or lunch the next day. Romaine lettuce is also a staple for me. And I like the frozen steamfresh broccoli and cauliflower bags. So easy to throw them in the microwave. Another option is frozen asparagus or broccoli blended into IP soups.

LizRR 07-05-2012 10:47 PM

My name is LizRR and i am a converted Veggie Freak!

These are a few of my favorite things...

Zucchini - I make them 3 ways, all in sweet type dishes. 1. Shredded in my crispy cereal unrestricted pancakes, 2. baked apple chips, and 3. mock baked apples <-my favorite, can turn #3 into an apple crumble w/crispy cereal or oatmeal
Cauliflower - 1. I roast w/celery & garlic, purée, and add to soups, 2. I grate and make 'fried rice', 3. just roasted with spices like popcorn
Rutabaga - rutabaga fries, hands down delicious, prefer them over turnips personally
Kale - Kale chips, when you crave that salty, crunchy texture, I think that's my fave too...
Spinach - I have this every weekday morning in my cafe mocha spinach smoothie <-hold on, that's my fave
Lettuce - ive been adding in a heart of romaine w/my spinach smoothie for more bulk, don't really eat salads anymore
Asparagus & Mushrooms - who doesn't love them grilled or cooked with just about anything
Green onions - I spray with evoo, sprinkle w/fajita seasoning and grill them....sooooo good
Rhubarb - 1. I nuke it for 5 minutes w/WF strawberry spread & eat it as is, 2. Make rhubarb upside down cake with crispy cereal <-wait, thats my fave, 3. add it to raspberry jelly
Poblano, bell pepper, jalapeño - I roast & purée with garlic for a spicy soup thickener, also stuffed peppers are good w/ground turkey
Celery - Braised celery, great recipe I found & posted using an egg white makes a creamy sauce I've been missing.
Cucumber - I julienne w/my mandoline to make 'noodles' I use with my miracle noodle Asian stirfry (wf sesame ginger, wd peanut spread, soy, fresh ginger, sriracha, cilantro), can do zucchini noodles too

mompattie 07-05-2012 10:50 PM

Ditto all of what LizzrR said!!! LMAO!!! No wait, that's my fav! LOL!!

Longhorn Energy 07-05-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeed3 (Post 4395332)
I am so glad to see this thread. I logged on just now to post something similar.

I am a little picky when it comes to veggies. I am starting to try some new ones but I feel like I can only eat so much broccoli!

I dont have any advice as I am looking for some myself. I'll be watching this thread.

I like Longhorn's idea about 50/50 in your salad. How do you measure spinach like that?

Im super high tech about this...

I shove it into a measuring cup until its full....then this is the hard part...STOP, you have enough LOL

Seriously, I just put it in a measuring cup...

Longhorn Energy 07-05-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeed3 (Post 4395344)
ok what is rhubarb and where do you get it?

Let Me Google That For You

Barb4640 07-05-2012 11:29 PM

I too have a hard time getting my veggies in, some days more than others. These are a few things that help me;

I too add vegi's in my Omelet. At first I didn't like the omelet's, but then I read a post about putting WF Maple syrup on it. I think it's pretty good now.

I also could not stand the potato puree, but read about making it into a flat wrap. (mix packet with 74 ML of water). You spread out in small pan and when one side is cooked turn it over, this is when I add 1TBS of WF Strawberry Jelly which melts while the other side is cooking. I put my sauteed peppers and spinach in the wrap when done and it is like a sandwich w/bread. :)

I have a baggie of cucumbers and a baggie of celery, 1 cup worth are in each bag and I can easy grab one to take with me. Sometimes eating while I am driving or waiting somewhere helps. Celery doesn't really have a taste, but it's something to chew on.

SPINACH SHAKE: Sounds terrible but is pretty good and get 1 cup of spinach in too.

Peppers on the grill...1 large pepper is about 1 cup

Also, I tried Kale Chips which I didn't really care for. I would like to use the same recipe using Spinach this time.

I am also gonna mix up a salsa with vegi's, maybe use the Spinach Chips for dipping. :)

ChileheadKen 07-06-2012 12:21 AM

LizRR- what awesome recipes? Where can I find them? And how do you make rutabaga fries? Fries was one of my favorite comfort foods so a healthy sub would be excellent!!! And you look great!! Way to go! What an inspiration! Thanks!!!

aimeed3 07-06-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy (Post 4395505)

Ha!! Thanks Longhorn! I like your sense of humor!!!

On the spinach, do you pack your spinach in the measuring cup?

LizRR 07-06-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChileheadKen (Post 4395557)
LizRR- what awesome recipes? Where can I find them? And how do you make rutabaga fries? Fries was one of my favorite comfort foods so a healthy sub would be excellent!!! And you look great!! Way to go! What an inspiration! Thanks!!!

Here are a few recipe links - HIGHLY encourage folks to take a LOOOONG weekend break to peruse the recipes and FinnStevens thread - it can be overwhelming so the 'What are you eating today' thread is also a good one to check out to get ideas/inspiration.

Recipes: From the sticky...
IP Recipes Archive 1
IP Recipes Archive 2
IP Recipes - Currently open for posting
FinnSteven's IP Recipes and Pix from Finland

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizRR (Post 4395490)
Zucchini - I make them 3 ways, all in sweet type dishes. 1. Shredded in my crispy cereal unrestricted pancakes,
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ml#post4011067
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4039565-post89.html
2. baked apple chips
3. mock baked apples <-my favorite, can turn #3 into an apple crumble w/crispy cereal or oatmeal
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4214298-post303.html
Cauliflower - 1. I roast w/celery & garlic, purée, and add to soups,
2. I grate and make 'fried rice',
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4316226-post370.html
3. just roasted with spices like popcorn
Rutabaga - rutabaga fries, hands down delicious, prefer them over turnips personally
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...es-please.html
Kale - Kale chips, when you crave that salty, crunchy texture, I think that's my fave too...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-question.html
Spinach - I have this every weekday morning in my cafe mocha spinach smoothie <-hold on, that's my fave
Lettuce - ive been adding in a heart of romaine w/my spinach smoothie for more bulk, don't really eat salads anymore
Asparagus & Mushrooms - who doesn't love them grilled or cooked with just about anything
Green onions - I spray with evoo, sprinkle w/fajita seasoning and grill them....sooooo good
Rhubarb - 1. I nuke it for 5 minutes w/WF strawberry spread & eat it as is, 2. Make rhubarb upside down cake with crispy cereal <-wait, thats my fave,
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4330552-post354.html
3. add it to raspberry jelly
Poblano, bell pepper, jalapeño - I roast & purée with garlic for a spicy soup thickener, also stuffed peppers are good w/ground turkey
Celery - Braised celery, great recipe I found & posted using an egg white makes a creamy sauce I've been missing.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4375233-post373.html
Cucumber - I julienne w/my mandoline to make 'noodles' I use with my miracle noodle Asian stirfry (wf sesame ginger, wd peanut spread, soy, fresh ginger, sriracha, cilantro), can do zucchini noodles too

BLUEJEWEL 07-06-2012 11:37 AM

I have found Curry to be the answer to all things boring....roast or steam or microwave your veggies and then add some curry....makes everything taste yummy with a bit of sweetness.
I use zuchinni and yellow squash the most but have enjoyed aspargus and red bell pepper.
Red Onion on my salad with pan fried chicken breast, cut up, with fresh squeezed lemon, sea salt and ground pepper, is my favorite lunch. Grilled chicken salad...yummmy!!!

efwilli 07-08-2012 03:41 PM

THANKS so much for all the tips! I've been trying different suggestions here and there, and it's been MUCH easier to get veggies in these past few days. Please keep the advice rolling in!

Thanks again :)

GI gal 07-09-2012 08:40 PM

I was struggling getting all my veggies in and my coach told me to blend zucchini and/or spinach in with the IP drinks and that I would not be able to taste it's there. I tried it and love it. I use zucchini most of the time in my choc drink...(1 cup)I put in my bullet blender and blend till no chucks. I like it real cold so sometimes put in the freezer for 1/2 hr before drinking.

Delgen 07-09-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GI gal (Post 4399645)
I was struggling getting all my veggies in and my coach told me to blend zucchini and/or spinach in with the IP drinks and that I would not be able to taste it's there. I tried it and love it. I use zucchini most of the time in my choc drink...(1 cup)I put in my bullet blender and blend till no chucks. I like it real cold so sometimes put in the freezer for 1/2 hr before drinking.

Okay! This I will try!

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

NewPath 07-09-2012 11:10 PM

This is an AWESOME THREAD!!!!!!!!

I must say that on April 13th, 2012, I HATED vegetables, always had. Things have changed!!!! I have lost 40 lbs and I LOVE VEGETABLES!!!!!!
I am so excited to read about even MORE vege ideas!!!!!!!

The first few weeks on IP I had sooo much trouble getting the veges in. Now, I am like a vege "foodie" ...always looking for a way to make a scrumptious vege! This, I believe, is what is behind IP's protocol for 4 cups a day....DISCOVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so:
1. Shredded lettuce rocks!!!!! (I guess I have texture issues...I love shred)
2. Roasted asparagus with lots of salt and lemon pepper...OMG!!!!!(Crispy!)
3. Grilled peppers, onions, zuchinni..grilled anything!!!!!!
4. Pan fried eggplant.........to me it tastes fried and buttery!!!!!!!!!
5. Vinegar/Water Cucumbers.....good crunch,zing, and water reducer!
6. Frozen spinach in WBerry Yogurt...ultimate yummy!!!!! (ENERGY+)
7. Omelets in the AM with lots of mushrooms, garlic, onion, pepper...etc.
8. Also, my coach recommended making a huge omelet in the AM...veges and all, and then bringng it to work and putting it over a salad....how easy is that???!!!! When I go back to teaching in August...THAT will be my new lunch!!!

Roasted seems to be my most favorite way to go. Frozen spinach is cheap and does the trick in shakes.......still have to try the rhubarb!!!

Meagan240 07-09-2012 11:18 PM

I'm still having a hard time with veggies. :( I've tried several of the recipes on this site, and nothing seems to work. Sigh! Being picky sucks!

mightbe 07-09-2012 11:38 PM

How about cucumbers, they hardly have any taste?

Baracuda 07-10-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightbe (Post 4399804)
How about cucumbers, they hardly have any taste?

I mix the yogurt drink mix with 4oz of water in my shaker and dip my cucumber slices- chips and dip style. I have this almost everyday for lunch. This also makes for an easy to go option for veggies on the road.

MustangMolly 07-10-2012 10:46 AM

I am addicted to cucumbers and onions in vinegar and olive oil. It's a great way to get in your olive oil. I slice them and let them marinate in the vinegar and oil. I will eat them just like with a little sea salt and black pepper or sometimes I will put them on my salad at lunch and let the vinegar and oil be my dressing. I will also add some tomato now and then and also cauliflower.

Delgen 07-10-2012 10:56 AM

Here is my new favorite breakfast
1 cup Rhubarb
Saute in 1T of EVOO
Sprinkle with 1Teasp Stevia and dash of cinnamon
Pour in the plain omelet mixed with 5 oz water

heat on low for 10-15 minutes until egg mixture is solid, and golden brown on the bottom.
Add some lemon zest if you like.
This is absolutely delicious!

swerdna59 07-10-2012 05:20 PM

I have not been eating my veggies as I should lately--think I got in a rut but this past weekend my husband bought me a blender and I used it twice today and am wondering why I didn't get one sooner!

For breakfast I made a spinach smoothie--RTD vanilla shake, a couple of handfuls of baby spinach and some ice cubes...so good and filling...think this will be my new favorite breakfast.

For lunch I pureed steamed broccoli and cauliflower (1 cup each) and then added chicken broth until it was like a creamy soup, transferred to a saucepan on the stove, added some protein and had a huge bowl of very filling and yummy soup. I didn't add anything but salt and pepper either. I was stuffed.

efwilli 07-10-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

I tried rutabaga fries tonight and they were sooo good! Excited to try other veggies! Does anyone have suggestions for a good sugar free ketchup? I know WF has a version, but I can only find the salad dressings in the stores near me.

Reenie N 07-13-2012 09:24 PM

Yummy veggies

these are my favorites! I hope it helps.:chef:
1. Rhubarb sauce- 2c rhubarb chopped, place in microwave safe dish, add apple pie spice and cinnamon to taste. Add 1/4 c wf pancake syrup, add two packets of splenda or stevia and cover. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir and microwave for 1 minute. This can be added to crispy cereal or maple oatmeal and baked in oven as a rhubarb crisp. Or eat it alone. Delish!
2. Mixed veggie soup, this is great and will last for a whole week worth of veggies. In a stock pot, add two cups chopped/diced of the following: turnips, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale, cabbage(shredded), leeks, Green,yellow and red pepper mixed, a bunch of scallions, two crushed cloves of garlic, a large can of 99% fat free chicken broth and then fill the can with water and add that, 1 tbl salt, a tsp pepper, 1 tablespoon basil. Bring to a boil. You can add diced tomatoes also, but they are restricted item for my plan, so I add them once per week. I measure this soup out in two cup portions and then I have an easy veggie during the week.
3. Quarter zucchini lengthwise, (looks like long pickle spears). Cut seeds off, spray olive or grape seed oil on each and rub around entire zucchini, add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to each spear and grill until tender.
4. Clean asparagus spears, marianate in lemon juice, onion, garlic, and olive or grapeseed oil. Grill until browned on all sides. Yum!

efwilli 07-14-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reenie N (Post 4404436)
these are my favorites! I hope it helps.:chef:
1. Rhubarb sauce- 2c rhubarb chopped, place in microwave safe dish, add apple pie spice and cinnamon to taste. Add 1/4 c wf pancake syrup, add two packets of splenda or stevia and cover. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir and microwave for 1 minute. This can be added to crispy cereal or maple oatmeal and baked in oven as a rhubarb crisp. Or eat it alone. Delish!
2. Mixed veggie soup, this is great and will last for a whole week worth of veggies. In a stock pot, add two cups chopped/diced of the following: turnips, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale, cabbage(shredded), leeks, Green,yellow and red pepper mixed, a bunch of scallions, two crushed cloves of garlic, a large can of 99% fat free chicken broth and then fill the can with water and add that, 1 tbl salt, a tsp pepper, 1 tablespoon basil. Bring to a boil. You can add diced tomatoes also, but they are restricted item for my plan, so I add them once per week. I measure this soup out in two cup portions and then I have an easy veggie during the week.
3. Quarter zucchini lengthwise, (looks like long pickle spears). Cut seeds off, spray olive or grape seed oil on each and rub around entire zucchini, add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to each spear and grill until tender.
4. Clean asparagus spears, marianate in lemon juice, onion, garlic, and olive or grapeseed oil. Grill until browned on all sides. Yum!

I can't wait to try all these recipes! Especially the soup!

bluegirl9 06-13-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizRR (Post 4395830)
Here are a few recipe links - HIGHLY encourage folks to take a LOOOONG weekend break to peruse the recipes and FinnStevens thread - it can be overwhelming so the 'What are you eating today' thread is also a good one to check out to get ideas/inspiration.

Recipes: From the sticky...
IP Recipes Archive 1
IP Recipes Archive 2
IP Recipes - Currently open for posting
FinnSteven's IP Recipes and Pix from Finland

Thanks, I look forward to reading these. I am having a hard time with the strong-tasting green veggies (I hate broccoli). But my coach tells me kale chips are pretty tasty.