Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #1  

Default Sucralose

About 2 weeks ago I started having bathroom issues of the "non-C" type. I have been following the IP protocol (with alternatives for the most part) since the first part of May and have lost 21 pounds so am very happy with how things have gone for me. I have been maintaining my loss for the past few weeks as well doing my own sort of phasing off plan.

Nothing I was trying was helping with the "non-C" bathroom issue so I started to investigate what might be causing this to happen. It started one night after I had a protein bar as a snack and spent the next few hours running to the restroom, not a fun night.

I am thinking I have solved my situation and that sucralose is the problem.

The RTD shakes as well as the WF products I have been using as well as the protein bars all have sucralose. I did some looking online and found that sucralose (as well as other artificial sweeteners) can cause some individuals to have diarrhea. I know you shouldn't believe everything you read online but I spent quite a bit of time looking for information and kept finding the same information from numerous searches.

I was kind of surprised because I had been using the same products for almost 2 months without any side effects. Starting this morning, I have eliminated any products with sucralose from my diet and things are definitely settling down. Not sure how willing I am to test my hypothesis about sucralose but maybe if things continue to stabilize for me I may see what happens.

I am bummed, I loved the WF 1000 Island dressing and also the RTD shakes...however, I have found Jillian M's whey protein powder that does not contain any artificial sweeteners and also a bar that does not contain sucralose as well. I am going to wait a couple of days to be sure things are settled down and then slowly test some other products.

I also looked at the IP nutritional information sheet and while all of their packets do not have sucralose, many of them do.

Have others experienced anything like this where your system all of a sudden just rebelled against artificial sweeteners...of the sucralose or Splenda variety!?
swerdna59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #2  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

It's very possible that you developed a sensitivity to the sucralose if you used it a LOT. I am willing bet that you can have it in moderation. I know when I did weight watchers our coach said to be careful with the weight watchers 1 point snacks because the artificial sweetener can make you GO. I'm pretty sure I have a whey sensitivity, but I keep at it with my powdered shakes because it's preventing the Big C.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote