Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #1  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

Default New to IP & Forum!

Hi All:
My name is Jake...I am 55, married to a wonderful lady, 2 sons, 2 grand children, ride a Harley and run 2 small businesses. I am new to the forum and to the Ideal Protein plan. I have been reading and reading here for a few weeks and recently registered here, as you all seem like such wonderful people and I felt "comfortable" here...so here I am! This is my first post!

I am planning on starting what you all call the "Alternate" IP plan...
Using EAS Low Carb shakes...taking all the supplements as provided by GNC or Vitamin World...and of course I have plenty of water!

I used to be an advisor for Atkins...so I know their plan quite well and know all about Ketosis. I lost over 100 pounds on Atkins induction over the past 3 years with gains and losses in between and it is no longer effective for me. As I always advised people, you get 1 great opportunity with Atkins, and thats the first time you do it. I messed-up and gained back 40 pounds and now have 60 pounds to lose.

The biggest hurdle I see with IP for me is going to be salad. I am not a fan...haha! But can do it if I have salad dressing. I have found some recipes but many call for more olive oil then the 1-2 tsp we are allowed.

I am seeing mustard listed often...is this a "free" item?

If anyone has any ideas for Phase 1 salad dressing please let me know. I can't imagine eating dry salad!

Veggies will be tough as I have gout and take Allipurinol for that no mushrooms, no asparagus or spinach and no cauliflower. That will make this even more difficult as I really enjoy them all.

Well, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi and also to thank you all for the wealth of information around this forum! It has been inspirational and motivational and I am hopeful this plan will "work" with me.

Nice to meet you all!
Best wishes;
Jake
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth357 View Post
Hi All:
My name is Jake...I am 55, married to a wonderful lady, 2 sons, 2 grand children, ride a Harley and run 2 small businesses. I am new to the forum and to the Ideal Protein plan. I have been reading and reading here for a few weeks and recently registered here, as you all seem like such wonderful people and I felt "comfortable" here...so here I am! This is my first post!

Using EAS Low Carb shakes...taking all the supplements as provided by GNC or Vitamin World...and of course I have plenty of water!

I used to be an advisor for Atkins...so I know their plan quite well and know all about Ketosis. I lost over 100 pounds on Atkins induction over the past 3 years with gains and losses in between and it is no longer effective for me. As I always advised people, you get 1 great opportunity with Atkins, and thats the first time you do it. I messed-up and gained back 40 pounds and now have 60 pounds to lose.

The biggest hurdle I see with IP for me is going to be salad. I am not a fan...haha! But can do it if I have salad dressing. I have found some recipes but many call for more olive oil then the 1-2 tsp we are allowed.

If anyone has any ideas for Phase 1 salad dressing please let me know. I can't imagine eating dry salad!

Veggies will be tough as I have gout and take Allipurinol for that no mushrooms, no asparagus or spinach and no cauliflower. That will make this even more difficult as I really enjoy them all.

Well, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi and also to thank you all for the wealth of information around this forum! It has been inspirational and motivational and I am hopeful this plan will "work" with me.

Nice to meet you all!
Best wishes;
Jake

Welcome Jake! I have been doing alternatives for my entire IP journey. Heres a link to a Recipe thread that includes recipes for salad dressing.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...t-recipes.html

And FYI, salad isn't necessary, you just need to remember you need four cups of veggies a day: measure them raw and then cook them if you like.

Last edited by MaMaZu; 06-21-2012 at 08:34 AM.
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #3  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth357 View Post
Hi All:

Nice to meet you all!
Best wishes;
Jake
Jake

Welcome. Mustard is free as long as it is 0/0/0 no carbs, sugar or fat. Some has sugar but regular yellow and most spicy I've seen don't. Just check the label. I like evoo and apple cide for my dressing, I often add garlic.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #4  

Try blending together lettuce and cucumber for an easy way to get your 2 cups in. Try adding mint, parsley....
I usually add tomatoes, but my coach says you can only have tomatoes as part of the limited veggies-- 2x/week.
explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/247/178

Height: 5.3

welcome from one newbie to another....I have my 4th WI tonight
kmstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #6  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

Thanks all! Appreciate the welcome and the advice! Knowing I will be very hungry and needing to make use of those salads and most likely eating loads of lettuce, how do you stretch 1-2 tsp of EVOO to make salad dressing enough for say 4 salads? Ah, it's one of life's mysteries! haha!

Currently 308 pounds (avatar is a recent pic so that's what I look like right now...that tiny women is my wife who has been the same size since we married many years ago!)...need to get down to 240 at which I actually look a little too thin (really!)...so 68 pounds to part with!

Shopping for supplies this weekend and starting my program on Monday!
Thanks again!
Jake
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote