Old 05-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/150

Height: 5'3

Default social events while on IP

I want to call my friend and tell her how irritated I am but think I better air here so not to cause a problem with my friends.
So.... went over for memorial day and my friend had told her neighbor all about this diet. The neighbor decided she needed to question me and told me this was not right and I NEED TO DO ATKINS INSTEAD. She accused me of making my daughter follow this diet and implying this would lead to anorexia. I want to tell my friend to stop telling others the things I share with her and her neighbor to keep her comments to herself! I guess this is only the beginning of these type of situations and I need to figure out how to deal with them in a constructive way, but it sure gets me mad
I can see my friend is having an inner struggle because she wants to do this diet but doesn't want to be this strict. She only has 20 bls to loose and this diet isn't for everyone. I don't know how to convey to her to stop the inner battle. I have had times when my weight loss has changed the ones around me but didn't expect this so soon and not from my good friend.
enr20707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 / see ticker / 140

Height: 5'4"

Because Atkins is so healthy? Wierd choice of a diet to recommend as I eat so much healthier on IP than I did when I was on Atkins years ago. Either way it is none of either of their business and I would tell them both exactly that And as far as you leading your daughter towards anorexia? Please ... my daughter told me yesterday that she hopes I never stop doing this diet because she would miss the kale chips - she loves all the veggie stuff I make now. If anything my entire family is eating healther - a larger variety of veggies for sure - lean protein for dinner. Yes I make them a carb side dish that I don't eat but for the most part what I eat they eat. People are judgemental ... one of the best parts of this board is there is always somewhere to vent with no judgement
Cole3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174.8/170.4/130

Truly amazing how some people think and feel the need to "voice" their ideas. I have chosen to tell very few people other than close family about my IP journey. Weight has been a struggle for me for a long time, and I don't feel the need to be sabatoged by those who think they know what's best for me. Perhaps with time this will change, but for now this is how it is. Sometimes others insecurities come out with comments as the neighbours; just know you are making good healthy decisions daily that will make you a happier and healthier person long term. Be proud of yourself for challenging to live better!
Lisa4025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #4  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole3 View Post
Either way it is none of either of their business and I would tell them both exactly that
BINGO and it's really none of their business. Take their advice for what it is worth, Nothing. Take your advice from people who are successful. Just like golfing with friends. When they start giving advice it is often easiest to tell them you'll take advice from them when they turn pro, until then they should keep their advice to themselves. It can be really irritating.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/150

thanks you guys, I'm feeling better and love the comment from cole3, I forgot how much "bad fats" you get on the Atkins program. It really puts things in perspective. ;>
enr20707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225-213/159/130

Just remind yourself of what you know...people are judgmental and often times it is when they are jealous that their judgmental side comes out. This is a very restricted diet and not everyone can do it. be proud of yourself for doing this and ignore those comments. I once read a quote hat I think fits here..."Those who discourage your dreams are likely to have abandoned their own". So true!! I have had people tell me that I will gain it all back in the end and that this is so unhealthy...to them I say, really? Because I have lost 53 pounds, probably increased my life span by many years and all my numbers including cholesterol and triglycerides have come down drastically!!! Not healthy?? hmmm....Keep it up enr20707!!! You are on the right track!!
jag2B40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #7  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

I have to agree with everyone. Friend or not, you may have to just tell her to butt out...see men can do this and nobodys feelings get hurt, or if they do then we get to make fun of that guy lol.

Your doing this for you, so chin up and carry on. Who gives a crap what others think. There may be some underlying jealousy there, but im no doctor...
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I'm not even following this plan and I want to tell them to mind their own business. If it is working for you, and you are not endangering your health, then it is nobody's business but your own. I personally think that everyone roots for somebody to fail and stay fat, because that means they don't have to evaluate their own life and make changes. Keep up the good work, and tell your friend (nicely), not to share so much of your biz.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/199/140

Height: 5'0

I agree with everyone. I have chosen to be quiet about this journey finishing day 5) and have only told select people. What I have learned from the past is to tell people that this is something between you and your doctor. This weekend was a Jewish holiday as well so I was at many meals and was very subtle about it. One family friend took me aside and told me that she picked up on what I was doing and she was proud that I found something for me. It was so classy and wish other could be like her!
instantmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #10  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantmama View Post
I agree with everyone. I have chosen to be quiet about this journey finishing day 5) and have only told select people. What I have learned from the past is to tell people that this is something between you and your doctor. This weekend was a Jewish holiday as well so I was at many meals and was very subtle about it. One family friend took me aside and told me that she picked up on what I was doing and she was proud that I found something for me. It was so classy and wish other could be like her!
You're right that was classy and I am sure very helpful for you. You can be like her. Welcome and good luck!
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

There is no such thing as bad fat. This is just misinformation we have been brainwashed to believe by the people whe endorse a high carb low fat diet and wonder why everyone is fat....

Atkins is a good alternative to ip, but ip works fast and well. People believe the mainstream nutritional guidance, never questioning that those doctors could, and are proving to be, wrong.

Removing fat from food and replacing it with sugar has been a very bad mistake.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #12  

Isn't it interesting how so many people feel compelled to push their opinions on others? It is one reason I have told very few people about my food plan.

Good for you for navigating your holiday successfully! I find social outings trying because I haven't figured out what to substitute while eating in public.
allnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #13  
Just keep swimming!

S/C/G: 216/196/140

Oh, I eat way way more veggies on this diet philosophy than on Atkins philosophy. Veggies take up so much precious carb amount in the 20g allowed in the induction phase that I tended to just add a little bit of mushrooms to a chicken dish rather than bothering with a solid side dish or two of veggies. That's one of the things that appealed to me right away for this over Atkins is the fact I could eat a lot of vegetables which seems like a more sensible way to achieve diet sustainability for lifetime IMHO.
ferrousgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #14  
start IP 5/9/12

S/C/G: 235/195/175

Height: 5'8"

I was on Atkins and lost a lot of weight but after stopping I gained some of it back. This program is so much better I get to have veggies, etc. I know that this will be my last "diet" and will be able to maintain much better than when I stopped Atkins.
cupcakecathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 180.6/161.4/130

Height: 5' 3"

I am off to a bachelorette in a couple weeks for 3 days. I don't want to tell anyone that I'm on this diet for the exact reasons above. Any suggestions for me? I'm worried I will get nagged when I just have a shake and veggies for lunch while everyone else eats mcds, etc.
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote