Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Default Elevated liver enzymes?

**Apologies if this has been posted before - I did do a search but didn't turn up much, so here goes.**

Uh oh. Just got a call from my doctor - apparently I have elevated liver enzymes. She gave me two choices. Go off IP or do more testing to rule out other potential causes. I told her I have no desire to go off the diet so we're going with plan b. She did say that it wasn't an emergency kind of situation but that she wants to monitor it closely. I go for more blood work next week then I go to see her again in 3-4 weeks. I'll make it 4.

Have any of you had blood work of this kind done and had any unusual results? If so, did you have to go off the diet? I'm paranoid that I won't be able to continue on the one program that actually works for me.
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I had this when my gall bladder was going bad.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #3  

My enzymes were high just a couple months ago and I had an ultrasound, nothing turned up. My doctor said to stop taking OTC pain meds, I'd been taking them pretty often for migraines.
Euphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I get them tested every 6 months. Mine actually went down on IP. I believe they reflect fat deposits on the liver, which is a stresser, and over time, the liver can get rid of it, given a low fat, low carb diet, which we have. Do you know what the levels were before you started IP?
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/209/180

Height: 6'0"

Are you on any meds for blood pressure? My husband was on Benecar several years ago and had this happen. Switching the meds took care of it, but that was long before IP.
wendyquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #6  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I have had elevated LFT's way before IP, and they haven't changed since I have been on it... They were just thinking after coutless visits that I just have a fatty liver from being over weight for so long... Who knows... I guess its a good thing I am not a drinker and not a pill popper
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #7  

I honestly am not sure if they've been tested before, that's what's getting to me. Another question to ask her when I chat with her again!

I'm not on any medication other than metformin but I do know that I have something of a fatty liver from an ultrasound I had in November (which doesn't surprise me at all given how long I've been overweight).

I do take pain meds from time to time but not all that many. And I wasn't a really big drinker before IP and obviously I'm not drinking at all now!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #8  
Started IP 8.02.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
I honestly am not sure if they've been tested before, that's what's getting to me. Another question to ask her when I chat with her again!

I'm not on any medication other than metformin but I do know that I have something of a fatty liver from an ultrasound I had in November (which doesn't surprise me at all given how long I've been overweight).

I do take pain meds from time to time but not all that many. And I wasn't a really big drinker before IP and obviously I'm not drinking at all now!
What are you on Metformin for?? Are you Diabetic or is it for PCOS??
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
What are you on Metformin for?? Are you Diabetic or is it for PCOS??
Both. Started out as being for PCOS then became type 2. Was on insulin but thanks to IP I'm completely off it.

But yeah - PCOS for sure.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #10  
Started IP 8.02.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
Both. Started out as being for PCOS then became type 2. Was on insulin but thanks to IP I'm completely off it.

But yeah - PCOS for sure.
I was Diagnosed with PCOS as well, My coach stated that I wouldnt need to take it anymore... I was happy to stop taking it! But every coach is different... as we know that from being on this forum!!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #11  

Yeah, the order to stop that one will have to come from my doctor as my coach really advises me to get the doctor's final say on anything medicine related. I suspect I'll be on it for a while mostly because of the PCOS, even if I have somehow reversed the diabetes, but I'm not too sure about that.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I've had it on and off -- I seem to do better with less fat in diet.

Hang in there -- and keep monitoring with the labs.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Did they test your blood sugar too? I was on metformin for pre-diabetes and was told, by my doctor, after the first month of nausea and misery on IP, to stop the metformin because it was now making my blood sugar too low. Within a day, I felt better.

It may take some time, but the liver enzymes/fatty liver should improve with the weight loss. That's the exciting part, that despite what we've done to our bodies with the weight, they have an amazing ability to recover.

Last edited by Sewmam; 04-06-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #14  

Yes, I get my blood sugar tested quite often because of the diabetes. I test at home daily and it's perfect now that I'm off the insulin but I am still on the metformin. My next big test will be the A1C at the beginning of June, three months after I started this. Only then if it's a bit low can I see them even thinking of taking me off metformin but I don't expect that.