Old 03-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/208/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Day 4, needing some answers

Hello everyone, I've been stalking this forum for about a month now lol, this forum is actually part of why I made the decision to go with Ideal Protein, so I am on day 4, and doing pretty good for the most part, I'm able to cook food for my family and not feel deprived. My biggest issue seems to be that I work a variety of different shifts, I work at a hotel, so we are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, so my schedule changes all the time, in the last 4 days I have worked one afternoon shift (3p-11p), that was okay, I just got up that morning and ate, I put my snack off until a little later so I wouldn't go to bed feeling hungry, but than I got put on the graveyard shift and its totally messed me up, my coach said she wants me to eat every 4 hours or so to keep my blood sugar from dropping, but its not really working. I got home from work at 8am today, laid down, feel asleep for a couple hours, woke up straving so I jumped straight to lunch and had some statueed veggies and 2 oz grilled steak and a an IP drink. I feel back asleep around 2 and didn't wake up until 7, so I had dinner, I had my snack about an hour ago (that woulda been about 1230a here). So if you're still following me lol, technically I'm supposed to eat another IP packet because I didn't have "breakfast" today. My days are running together and its really confusing me on how and when to eat. So if anyone out there has been through this, I'd really love some advice. OH! I'd also like to mention that I got on the scale today and it says I'm down 5.5 pounds already!
CReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 172.2/153/140

Height: 5'4''

Good question- I was just wondering this myself. I am an RN and I just happen to be working the night shift tonight. I wasn't sure how to work things out without being starving. I ended up bumping everything up a couple hours today so my night snack was around 2200- brought my breakfast with me which I ate at around 0200. Go home at 0700, sleep till 1200 and eat lunch- so back on normal schedule.

This shift definitely throws a wrench into things...
Teden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

I work a night shift also working with computers. I work 3:30 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and I only go to sleep about 6:00 a.m. and am then asleep until about noon or 1:00 p.m. And you're right, it really plays havoc with eating. I count my eating day from when i get up for a 24 hour period until I get up again......so my "morning" is 2:00 P.M. count my night as midnight to 6:00 a.m. I try not to eat from midnight until I go to sleep. Here lately I've been snacking late at night, and that isn't good, so I'm going to cut that out. We just have to find ways to adapt eating to our night owl life. Good luck to you both.
Elizabeth779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 231/218/1??

Height: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CReed View Post
Hello everyone, I've been stalking this forum for about a month now lol, this forum is actually part of why I made the decision to go with Ideal Protein, so I am on day 4, and doing pretty good for the most part, I'm able to cook food for my family and not feel deprived. My biggest issue seems to be that I work a variety of different shifts, I work at a hotel, so we are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, so my schedule changes all the time, in the last 4 days I have worked one afternoon shift (3p-11p), that was okay, I just got up that morning and ate, I put my snack off until a little later so I wouldn't go to bed feeling hungry, but than I got put on the graveyard shift and its totally messed me up, my coach said she wants me to eat every 4 hours or so to keep my blood sugar from dropping, but its not really working. I got home from work at 8am today, laid down, feel asleep for a couple hours, woke up straving so I jumped straight to lunch and had some statueed veggies and 2 oz grilled steak and a an IP drink. I feel back asleep around 2 and didn't wake up until 7, so I had dinner, I had my snack about an hour ago (that woulda been about 1230a here). So if you're still following me lol, technically I'm supposed to eat another IP packet because I didn't have "breakfast" today. My days are running together and its really confusing me on how and when to eat. So if anyone out there has been through this, I'd really love some advice. OH! I'd also like to mention that I got on the scale today and it says I'm down 5.5 pounds already!
First congrats!
Second. I know what you mean I travel for work and am all over the place. I use the ready to drink (RTD) drinks a lot because they are quick and make an easy break fast when I am not really hungry. You can switch anything around too. Maybe a drink on the way home from work then your ready to hop in bed
Lettuce wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Wow, I am totally impressed by you ladies! You are finding ways to do this, even with crazy schedules! That is awesome and speaks to your determination. You are a real inspiration to me.

All I know is that I tend to be hypoglycemic, so if I don't eat every 4 hours I get pretty pathetic and that's when I grab the wrong stuff. It's still tricky when I am going out or my meal timing is not in my control. I'm in Phase 4 now, but in Phase 1, I took to having a container of peanut puffs or chocolate puffs around so I could eat a few. Not the whole bag, but a few. I also tried having a container of the salt/vinegar chips, as they were very satisfying.

Good luck to you all!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/208/160

Thank you everyone for all the advice, I feel like I have a better idea of what to do now!
CReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Oh the joys of shift work! I’m a social worker and I work 2 jobs in 2 different towns. My days are a mess during the week it works ok because I have a ‘normal’ day shift schedule until Fridays come, where I work during the day at my normal job then in a different town on the night shift (Fridays and Saturday nights), sounds VERY confusing! For me Fridays are the worst since I normally end up being awake for over 24 hours if I can’t take a nap in between jobs. I have talked to my coach about this and I will do either one of two things, either eat a second dinner OR an extra IP pack, this was my body is not starving. I also increase me veggies by 1-2 cups during shift switch over’s, I have yet to see this effect my weight loss. Salad with ¼- ½ cup of veggies and lots of lettuce really helps to keep you full during those LONG days. I found the first 2 weeks OP the hardest to figure out eating, once you find what works for you, it will stick! Best of luck!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

And if you are starving allow yourself an extra packet. It is all protein and under 100 calories. If that keeps you going it it the best solution.

Otherwise, pickles and salads are free!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Hey all, I just posted on another thread and forgot this was the one I had wanted to update. Anyway, I went to the IP presentation and a lady said she had odd work schedules and sometimes could go all day without stopping for lunch, and what would that do to the diet? He said you don't want to have all 3 meals at one time, but once you are in ketosis, the body uses ketones for energy, so as long as you get your 3 packets, 4 cups of vegees and animal protein in, you should be okay. You could carry vegees in baggies with you, or the bars or snack packets, to help you get through a long day, but make sure you get all the program requirements in, every day.

So, I guess you just do the best you can and what works for you, but don't worry that the timing will screw up the diet/ketosis.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote