Old 03-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #1  

Default Allergies and IP

I know this is a long shot because I realize that not may people deal with unpredictable allergies like I do.
I have had great success wit IP so far but recently contemplated making some changes. Initially, I thought my allergy (inside the mouth) was caused by soy sauce, but now I think that it could also be the sea salt, or maybe soy products in general. Who knows.
I got a steroid shot over a week ago and stopped using soy sauce but my symptoms are not gone yet. So I stopped using sea salt a couple of days ago. We shall see.
For me giving up salt (especially Lawrey's Seasoned Salt) was the hardest part of going with IP but I did it
So how badly am I gonna mess up things by going back to regular table salt?
This is so upsetting! I finally found a program that works and those dang allergies are getting in the way
Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by shiipa; 03-24-2012 at 02:28 PM.
shiipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #2  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Wow...that's tough. Table salt has all the minerals stripped out. Minerals you need, especially on this diet. Are you able to find any sea salt alternatives? Also, what kind of salt were you eating? Was it the IP Real Salt or something else?

I am soy sensitive and so I cannot touch the bars even though I really like them. I get an immediate reaction. Also with the Mango RTD which I don't understand. Unfortunately, a lot of IP products had soy in them. I don't think the drinks do. Not sure about puddings. I know with allergies and food sensitivities it's so hard to figure out where to start. It's why I only add one thing at a time because I am so sensitive.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

if the sea salt is the problem, then just go with what you can use. it is the sodium that we need to maintain electrolyte balance. you can get the minerals in a supplement if need be. you've got to do what works for you!

good luck!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
Wow...that's tough. Table salt has all the minerals stripped out. Minerals you need, especially on this diet. Are you able to find any sea salt alternatives? Also, what kind of salt were you eating? Was it the IP Real Salt or something else?

I am soy sensitive and so I cannot touch the bars even though I really like them. I get an immediate reaction. Also with the Mango RTD which I don't understand. Unfortunately, a lot of IP products had soy in them. I don't think the drinks do. Not sure about puddings. I know with allergies and food sensitivities it's so hard to figure out where to start. It's why I only add one thing at a time because I am so sensitive.
I've been using the salt from IP. If my symptoms don't go away after a few days, I'll eliminate the bars, too. I wouldn't have a problem doing it with drinks, only.
If you don't mind, what are your symptoms/reactions with soy?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
if the sea salt is the problem, then just go with what you can use. it is the sodium that we need to maintain electrolyte balance. you can get the minerals in a supplement if need be. you've got to do what works for you!

good luck!
Thank you. I'll be looking in to mineral supplements.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #6  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiipa View Post
I've been using the salt from IP. If my symptoms don't go away after a few days, I'll eliminate the bars, too. I wouldn't have a problem doing it with drinks, only.
If you don't mind, what are your symptoms/reactions with soy?
I can't drink soy milk at all. Instantly become itchy. This sometimes happen with tofu but since soy is in everything I don't know exactly how sensitive I am.

With the IP bars and that Mango drink I get a funny feel. Maybe almost like a tingling. A feeling that feels like the precursor to the itching if that makes sense. I ate bars when I first started and my face was a mess, breaking out. And if you have had allergies that cause an inflammatory response and know what that feels like it's the best way for me to describe it.

I don't seem to have issues with the soy balls or chips or they pale in comparison. I tried a bit of a bar the other day just to test it out and while oh so yummy it was still a no go.

BTW, when I used to eat healthy and returned to breads (whites) or sugar, I had a similar reaction. Body didn't like it. Sensitivity. Don't know.

Now, I am actually allergic to seafood. But not super allergic. I will get itchy and if it becomes bad I get hives.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote