Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #1  

Default Gyro meat?

Is gyro meat allowed on the Ideal Protein diet?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

no idea, but I would think it is too much fat? If you can get nutrition info, maybe it's okay?
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #3  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I would think that if you were at a greek rest. it would be ok, Usually it's shaved Lamb.
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #4  

Hi Everyone, I went for my first weigh in last night and hit 8lbs with an inch off my hips, an inch off my belly and 3 off the chest/back!

I walk everyday and do a bit of biking. I wanted to add in something else. I am only on week 2 now. My coach is not very chatty...I was thinking Yoga? Also a different coach told me I could do the Beach Body Insanity Workout. However it gets your heart rate up...Does anyone know about this?
My coach said cardio is fine...I did look at the link here that says to stay in the fat burning zone.

I would really like to tone myself...be have vacation soon. I do not want to set myself back. But I would love to tighten my core, glutes, legs, arms.

My coach said no lunges or squats etc Anyone know about this?!?!?!? So many different views.

I started at 180 and am now 170 in 8 days!
girlpower79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlpower79 View Post
Hi Everyone, I went for my first weigh in last night and hit 8lbs with an inch off my hips, an inch off my belly and 3 off the chest/back!

I walk everyday and do a bit of biking. I wanted to add in something else. I am only on week 2 now. My coach is not very chatty...I was thinking Yoga? Also a different coach told me I could do the Beach Body Insanity Workout. However it gets your heart rate up...Does anyone know about this?
My coach said cardio is fine...I did look at the link here that says to stay in the fat burning zone.

I would really like to tone myself...be have vacation soon. I do not want to set myself back. But I would love to tighten my core, glutes, legs, arms.

My coach said no lunges or squats etc Anyone know about this?!?!?!? So many different views.

Congratulations ! There's a great thread on exercise - not supposed to do aerobic stuff at first, at least. I agree, it is confusing with different coaches giving different advice, and each person being at such a different place in terms of what their body is used to, how much they have to loose, etc.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Is gyro meat made like a meatloaf, i.e., are there carbs in there from binders like breadcrumbs. If so, I would say it's a 'no.'
Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

If lamb is allowed I say yes...I don't know how much fat it has in it...probably more so allowed in P4...

Gyro (correct pronunciation is "year-o", not "ji-ro") is a kind of sandwich of Greek origin. The meat is traditionally ground lamb. Mixed with spices and cooked on a vertical rotisserie. As the meat cooks it is sliced off in thin strips put on Pita bread.Then the customer gets to pick what he or she wants in it, (onions, fries, ketchup, mustard,tomatoes and a sauce made of Cucumbers and yogurt with garlic and olive oil called tzatziki. You won't be getting anything like the original anywhere else but Greece, because people change it around, adding lettuce and not a lot of the original. But if you ever go to Greece you will love them. (from Answers.com)
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/218/1??

Height: 5

Quote:
Per livestrong website there are 2 carbs in 4.4 oz of gyro meat
Lettuce wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hey that made me think about my Donair meat which would be sortof similar and I'm thinking if you substituted the crackers with the spicy curls it would turn out quite good - I didn't include the sauce recipe as it contains milk. Also we would have to do a lettuce wrap but this would be a nice change!

DONAIR MEAT

2½ lbs. ground beef (lean)
½ cup crackers
2½ tsp. oregano
1½ tsp. pepper
2½ tsp. garlic salt
1½ tsp. cayenne
2½ tsp. paprika
2½ tsp. onion salt

Mix together, kneading a lot. Form into a ball. Put on cake cooler rack with sheet underneath to catch grease. Cook at 250º for 2 hours or cook for 1½ hours at 300º. Slice very thinly. Place slices of meat in centre of heated pita bread with thin slices of tomato, lettuce leaf and onion rings. Pour sauce over top of ingredients and roll up pita bread. Meat may be frozen.
thin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/225/140

Height: 5'3.5"

Here is a link to another receipe for the meat and the sauce, I have tried it and it is really good, it hit the spot. Of course I ate it w/o the bread, had it wrapped in lettuce leaves.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ml#post3666033

Last edited by rissimo; 03-23-2012 at 06:39 AM.
rissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlpower79 View Post

Read Dr. Chanh's book (free download in the last link in the first message under the Daily thread). You don't want to burn muscle and your organs are muscles...you can harm your organs if you don't have enough protein. Play it safe and please take a little time to read the book.

Quote:
Lamb may have few if not zero carbs, but it has a lot of fat and calories. I'd steer clear.

Last edited by Chloe222; 03-23-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote