Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #1  
Started IP March 2012

Height: 5'5"

Question Preventitive Measures

Hello all...

I was looking online (sometimes thats not such a good idea!) and I saw so much information on SKIN...

There are tons of articles talking about weight loss and loose skin. Does anyone have any advice about what someone can do to AVIOD this?

Some say lotions and creams while dieting, some say age...

I'm sure the amount of weight loss is a factor too though

Any feedback is welcome
TransformingMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I was wondering this too. I'm 39 and lost 68 lbs. I noticed more lines/wrinkles on my face when I smile. I just started using a retinol cream, which I never needed before. I've read on this site that the skin does tighten a little after the weight loss.

Can't wait to see what others have to say!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I posted on another thread about this. Sorry if you are the person who started that one and my info is a repeat...I can't remember squat!

Anyway, I have a good 20 pds of excess skin now, and my doctor has said that given time and exercise, the body has a great ability to reabsorb at least some of that skin. I am also doing strength training on my gut and walking/elipitical/rebounder for my legs and gut, and will start doing other routines as I can. I also created a concoction of argan oil, aloe jelly and burts bees baby cream for my skin, as all of those things are good for elasticity of the skin, and at 59, I need all the help I can get!

I believe collagen is also helpful and that's why the IP raspberry jelly is used, but you can take a supplement as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sewmam; 04-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #4  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I also did some research on this... I have been taking som extra strenght Biotin... Mainly because my hair was falling out like crazy, but its good for Hair and skin...

Spanx are my Friend!! Until I firm up!
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: restart: 212/196.4/150

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I am willing to risk loose skin for less fat.

But I do eat a lot of the raspberry jelly. I think I will look into the Biotin, too.

Last edited by ChaloJ; 04-04-2012 at 05:15 PM.
ChaloJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5'3"

Stretching and yoga, I guess. I've been doing it long before I've started the diet. For face - I just got the book "Facercise" (http://www.amazon.com/Carole-Maggio-.../dp/0399527834) and am planning to start doing that.
zoyaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Anyone have any thoughts on strength training to avoid loose skin? I was told not to exercise on P1 but I remember when I did the 6 week body makeover a few years ago (chronic dieter here) they recommended specific exercises you had to do in order to keep from getting loose skin...I wonder if a combination of light lifting, eating the collagen protein, and skin creams would help...? Don't want to tax my muscles and throw off my fat burning in P1 either...
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJ100 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on strength training to avoid loose skin? I was told not to exercise on P1 but I remember when I did the 6 week body makeover a few years ago (chronic dieter here) they recommended specific exercises you had to do in order to keep from getting loose skin...I wonder if a combination of light lifting, eating the collagen protein, and skin creams would help...? Don't want to tax my muscles and throw off my fat burning in P1 either...
I thought you could do strength training and walking while on IP. They just didn't want real aerobic exercise, as it either hinders weight loss, or it disguises the fat loss because of muscle gain...can't remember. I think there are a couple of threads here somewhere with a link to an article. geeze...I'm not real with it this morning....sorry.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Have done a ton of research on this and the only thing that will help is strength training and collagen. From all that I have read it's not the skin that won't bounce back, but rather the fat that is still left over under your skin. I know IP's line is retain muscle and loose the fat. Well I have found from experience that isn't necessarily true, especially when you are older and body fat is harder to loose. You must get your body fat really under control. I started strength training about 3 months ago and I also add Great Lakes gelatin (protein collagen) to my food 2x per day. It's a much more effective collagen then what you will find in the Rasberry jelly.

My coach checks my lean muscle mass and body fat every week. It wasn't till I started strength training did I see my body fat move down effectively. Before that it had been a painfully slow decline.

Forgot to add, you can exercise while on P1, but I would concentrate on strenght training and light cardio such as walking. Just make sure to have an extra 1/2 a packet of IP before you work out and the other half after you work out. Your body will need that extra protein on your workout days.

Last edited by DanafromAustin; 04-07-2012 at 12:07 PM.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Thanks for the tips!
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #11  
Started IP March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
I also did some research on this... I have been taking som extra strenght Biotin... Mainly because my hair was falling out like crazy, but its good for Hair and skin...

Spanx are my Friend!! Until I firm up!

OMG!! I feel like my hair is thinner than before!! Biotin? Does it really work?? Please tell me what you took and if there are any risks associated with it...

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #12  
Started IP March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Have done a ton of research on this and the only thing that will help is strength training and collagen. From all that I have read it's not the skin that won't bounce back, but rather the fat that is still left over under your skin. I know IP's line is retain muscle and loose the fat. Well I have found from experience that isn't necessarily true, especially when you are older and body fat is harder to loose. You must get your body fat really under control. I started strength training about 3 months ago and I also add Great Lakes gelatin (protein collagen) to my food 2x per day. It's a much more effective collagen then what you will find in the Rasberry jelly.

My coach checks my lean muscle mass and body fat every week. It wasn't till I started strength training did I see my body fat move down effectively. Before that it had been a painfully slow decline.

Forgot to add, you can exercise while on P1, but I would concentrate on strenght training and light cardio such as walking. Just make sure to have an extra 1/2 a packet of IP before you work out and the other half after you work out. Your body will need that extra protein on your workout days.
Thank you for the advice... I have dizzy spells (usually, without IP) and sort of a history of low blood pressure... I am in P1 and have been nervous about working out because of how I would feel... I will try what you said and take something right before and directly after and see how it works.

I know I sound cheap, but adding extra packets adds to me weekly bill! OUCH!! but I gotta do what I gotta do!!

Last edited by TransformingMeg; 04-10-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Oh i'm really interested in hearing what everyone has to say about this. I'm ashamed to say that i have done nothing yet as far as helping myself. I saw last night that my moisturizing cream has collagen in it so i thought maybe i should put some at least on my stomach and legs. So my next question is is collagen better when asborbed orally or in creams and rubbed on the specific areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Anyway, I have a good 20 pds of excess skin now, and my doctor has said that given time and exercise, the body has a great ability to reabsorb at least some of that skin. I am also doing strength training on my gut and walking/elipitical/rebounder for my legs and gut, and will start doing other routines as I can. I also created a concoction of argan oil, aloe jelly and burts bees baby cream for my skin, as all of those things are good for elasticity of the skin, and at 59, I need all the help I can get!
Sewman, would you mind PMing me your routine and also your concoction, i really would like to try that and i'm starting yoga at work at the end of the month but its only once a week. I really want to start doing strenght work but i'm clueless as to what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I started strength training about 3 months ago and I also add Great Lakes gelatin (protein collagen) to my food 2x per day. It's a much more effective collagen then what you will find in the Rasberry jelly.
Again, would you mind PMing me your routine? Also, what is great lakes gelatin? Is it something your ordered online? Can you get any gelatin supplement at any drugstore to add to your food (is it liquid?).

Thanks, the skin is really REALLY bringing me down and as bad as my stomach is...my legs are upsetting me more as i was looking forward to wearing shorts and dresses/skirts this summer but my legs "giggle" so much when i walk that its disgusting.
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #14  
threenorns

the number one factor in how your skin will respond after you lose weight is genetics - look around at your female relatives, both on your dad's and your mother's side. if you see a fair amount of blown skin, then you probably inherited a taut, inflexible structure. if the majority do not have stretch marks or pregnancy pouches, then you probably inherited a flexible, responsive skin.

if you've got stretch marks or are prone to them, the amount of shrinkage will be less bec stretch marks are scars and scars are nonresponsive. they fade over time but they don't go away and the skin there does not shrink. think of a rubber balloon after it's been stretched too far and gets that wobbly, flubbery texture to it - same thing.

re creams, lotions, and potions: save your money and just invest in a good moisturizer to keep the surface of your skin smooth and fresh. none of them penetrate to the middle layers of the dermis where the damage happens and keeping the top layers moisturized doesn't do anything to pervent damage at the lower levels. it'd be like cleaning the attic to try and keep the livingroom free and clear of clutter.

retin-A and laser are the only therapies that have any degree of success and unfortunately, the expense and side effects and hassle are usually not worth the results. retinoic acid, in particular, is a pita - you can't go in the sun, your skin becomes uber-sensitive, and if you stop using it, the marks revert to what they were.

the best way to help your skin is a good, clean diet high in antioxidants; lots of exercise - both cardio and strength training; swimming or aquarobics; lots of water (keep very well hydrated!); and, above all, time. it can take 2yrs or more for your skin to shrink as much as it's going to.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
the number one factor in how your skin will respond after you lose weight is genetics - look around at your female relatives, both on your dad's and your mother's side. if you see a fair amount of blown skin, then you probably inherited a taut, inflexible structure. if the majority do not have stretch marks or pregnancy pouches, then you probably inherited a flexible, responsive skin.

if you've got stretch marks or are prone to them, the amount of shrinkage will be less bec stretch marks are scars and scars are nonresponsive. they fade over time but they don't go away and the skin there does not shrink. think of a rubber balloon after it's been stretched too far and gets that wobbly, flubbery texture to it - same thing.

re creams, lotions, and potions: save your money and just invest in a good moisturizer to keep the surface of your skin smooth and fresh. none of them penetrate to the middle layers of the dermis where the damage happens and keeping the top layers moisturized doesn't do anything to pervent damage at the lower levels. it'd be like cleaning the attic to try and keep the livingroom free and clear of clutter.

retin-A and laser are the only therapies that have any degree of success and unfortunately, the expense and side effects and hassle are usually not worth the results. retinoic acid, in particular, is a pita - you can't go in the sun, your skin becomes uber-sensitive, and if you stop using it, the marks revert to what they were.

the best way to help your skin is a good, clean diet high in antioxidants; lots of exercise - both cardio and strength training; swimming or aquarobics; lots of water (keep very well hydrated!); and, above all, time. it can take 2yrs or more for your skin to shrink as much as it's going to.
Threenorms,
You always have great info.
thanks,
Chloe
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote