3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat Friday 2/17/12 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/253013-ip-daily-chat-friday-2-17-12-a.html)

mrsdavis55 02-17-2012 06:13 PM

Hi all! So, I officially had my WI#3 yesterday and was only down 2 lbs. I know I should be happy, but 2 pounds sucks since I stayed away from going out to a restaurant for Valentine's Day and did not touch anything from a potluck my work had. I was hoping a bigger number and am a little discouraged. I have a busy day tomorrow (2 birthday partys) cake, food, chips, it's all gonna be there. WI#1 was -7, WI#2 was -4, I know I should expect high numbers. Im just hoping next week will be worth me staying strong!! And, in total 13 lbs in 3 weeks IS great!!:p

bethanym 02-17-2012 06:15 PM

Maybe I should really look for a local clinic. I am using idealtogo, and I haven't even received a reply to the email question I asked this morning. :( But I will say that their shipping is fast!

NavyMommy 02-17-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethanym (Post 4220172)
I'll go back and see exactly what he said about timing tonight. But the more I read about IP and the threads where people are losing more when they add more oil, the more it sounds like IP is morphing into the New Atkins plan with more veggies and moderate fat (instead of people drinking whipping cream shakes all day). IP may have started using Dr. Tran's plan as a basis, but that is not what I see on this board or how the 'coaches' are advising people.

I think I will philosophically struggle to continue to purchase IP products if that is the case, because whole food is healthier (and cheaper). But I am going to stay OP for the next 2 weeks and gauge my progress before making any premature decisions. Basically, I'm for whatever works at getting this weight off me sooner rather than later! :D

Honestly, I think there are a lot of differences between IP and Adkins (and I've done both). This is a much lower calorie diet and the protein you're getting (from the packets) is a much higher quality, and easily accessible to your body. I would have to do some searching to find the correct reference, but something like 70%-90% of the protein in the packets can be easily used by your body whereas if you eat a steak your body is only able to access 20% of the protein (and you have all that added fat!). I was all about whole, natural, organic food (and still am for my family) but I decided that being obese is more of a health hazard than eating from packets for a fixed period of time. I feel different (in a good way!) on IP than I did on Adkins which I am enjoying because with two toddlers I need the extra energy!

I'm glad you're giving it two weeks to see if it's the right diet for you. I have to admit, the very first time I went in (last August) I decided it wasn't good enough and sold all my packets on e-bay (this was before I found you guys!!). Where in FL are you located? I'm doing Ideal to Go at the moment because we're moving, but I went to a clinic where I'm at, and I know Ideal to Go is based in FL. Who is your coach? Mine has always been really great about getting back to me ASAP with any questions. If you need an answer faster though try calling, they were really helpful one time when I messed up my online order and I got it straightened out in no time. Hope this helps! Good Luck to you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsdavis55 (Post 4220180)
Hi all! So, I officially had my WI#3 yesterday and was only down 2 lbs. I know I should be happy, but 2 pounds sucks since I stayed away from going out to a restaurant for Valentine's Day and did not touch anything from a potluck my work had. I was hoping a bigger number and am a little discouraged. I have a busy day tomorrow (2 birthday partys) cake, food, chips, it's all gonna be there. WI#1 was -7, WI#2 was -4, I know I should expect high numbers. Im just hoping next week will be worth me staying strong!! And, in total 13 lbs in 3 weeks IS great!!:p

Just think that's more than 4lbs a week. You ROCK! I know the third week is generally harder because people are used to bigger numbers, but your body has to settle down and catch up with itself. Also, if you want to go out to dinner, go out to dinner! There are things you can order at almost any restaurant that are completely OP. I'm actually going out tomorrow night, and anticipating lots of eating out in the next weeks as we prepare to move and stuff starts getting packed away.

purple sky 02-17-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethanym (Post 4220172)
I'll go back and see exactly what he said about timing tonight. But the more I read about IP and the threads where people are losing more when they add more oil, the more it sounds like IP is morphing into the New Atkins plan with more veggies and moderate fat (instead of people drinking whipping cream shakes all day). IP may have started using Dr. Tran's plan as a basis, but that is not what I see on this board or how the 'coaches' are advising people.

I think I will philosophically struggle to continue to purchase IP products if that is the case, because whole food is healthier (and cheaper). But I am going to stay OP for the next 2 weeks and gauge my progress before making any premature decisions. Basically, I'm for whatever works at getting this weight off me sooner rather than later! :D

Those were some of my concerns. First of all, I did not understand ketosis. It sounded like an illness or something bad. Then, I was concerned about the packets with splenda and soy and other things. And then after a month my labs results were really good. And this diet has really retrained me on how to eat. So then I realized that later this year I will be eating all whole foods but knowing that my body is used to and likes veggies, it won't be a chore to make them and eat them. And I will be happy to get some fruits, nuts and yogurt back in my life. Maybe bread if I can do that.

I think getting a coach is a good idea. If you have been on these boards long enough you will see that different coaches give different information.

Plus, you will have to experiment. IN the beginning I was tossing my veggies with the required amt of oil and roasting them. For some reason that was not the best for me so I try to get in a serving of raw something like spinach with olive or flaxseed oil (not sure if the latter is allowed but I do it for Omega 3's). That seemed to help me with elimination as it was a problem early on. But, everyone is different. Some eat the same thing every day and do very well.

Also started using a mister. I pour my own olive oil into it and it really helps. That and a good non-stick pan.

But, you are wise to do your research. This diet is a serious commitment.

WingnutandMe 02-17-2012 07:17 PM

Help!
I am glad I had a loss, but I've only been on the program barely a month. I started out okay, but now my last two WI were only two pounds each. I'm strictly OP. Last week I really felt I was retaining water and was figuring it would be gone and I would have a nice weight loss. I can't begin to figure out what to change. Maybe some of you have some ideas. I have too much weight to loose to stretch this out forever. I will not give up, but I'd like to figure out the path to better results. Thanks for any advice.

lkp888 02-17-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4220178)
Just to clarify about the oil issue. I am probably the one most excited about this. But I didn't add extra oil. I am just measuring out the 2 teaspoons allowed. I was using it for cooking before now I put it on my salad.

I was just reading another post where someone had been to a workshop at her clinic and they were told to put the oil on food, not for cooking.
I was likely told that too but forgot.

Pat

I didn't know we were suppose use the oil on the food and not for cooking...i don't think I really wasn't told either way. Not that it has affected my weight loss..I've been on IP just a little over 4 months now and I'm so happy to say that i've lost 60 pounds and i'm out of the 180's, woohoo...

Welcome to all the newbies and to everyone who had losses and NSV's...Have a great IP weekend everyone!!

gs463 02-17-2012 07:53 PM

I had WI #6 today and was down a half pound. I was hoping for more but it's better than nothing. I finally got to try the lemon soy puffs today and they were soooo good. Almost too good.

mrsdavis55 02-17-2012 07:54 PM

Thanks NavyMommy,
I know its great to have lost this much. I can already feel the difference in my clothes. I try not to go out to eat unless its with my husband, who is also OP because its much easier. Going out with friends seems to be a struggle because I end of drooling at their potato choice and bread!
Plus.. I really hate the people who insist "Just one bite, wont hurt!"
Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyMommy (Post 4220195)

Just think that's more than 4lbs a week. You ROCK! I know the third week is generally harder because people are used to bigger numbers, but your body has to settle down and catch up with itself. Also, if you want to go out to dinner, go out to dinner! There are things you can order at almost any restaurant that are completely OP. I'm actually going out tomorrow night, and anticipating lots of eating out in the next weeks as we prepare to move and stuff starts getting packed away.

gs463 02-17-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanCo (Post 4219415)
I had weigh-in #6 on Wednesday and was only down 1.2 lbs. I am pretty boring about my food, pretty much the same thing every week and absolutely no cheating...but I feel like I'm stalling on my weight loss. I still have a lot of weight to lose so I'm a little disappointed, my body just seems stuck at 260...I keep getting on the scale hoping to see something in the 250's and it's not happening.....did anyone else seem to hit a plateau this early on? I limit myself to only 2 restricted's per week and am absolutely not eating anything off plan. Help???

I just had WI#6 and was only down a half pound. I have lost 15 lbs in six weeks so in comparison you are doing fabulous.

mrsdavis55 02-17-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gs463 (Post 4220255)
I had WI #6 today and was down a half pound. I was hoping for more but it's better than nothing. I finally got to try the lemon soy puffs today and they were soooo good. Almost too good.

I agree!! I had the lemon puffs last week for my snack. I took it with me to the movies, and they were SOOO good. I definitely did not miss the popcorn after that little treat. Have you had the Cookies n Cream bar? Its pretty good too. I leave them in the fridge so the 'frosting' doesnt melt.

wuv2bloved 02-17-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimrme1 (Post 4220049)
My IP Center had a 2 hour workshop last night and I'm so glad I went! The guest Coach was awesome, answered my questions and cleared a few things up for me. For example, the 8 oz. of meat for dinner is the pre-cooked weight of the meat. Here I've been gagging down 8 oz. of cooked meat (Lord knows how many pounds it was before it shrunk haha) and making my bf make something else for himself when I had to take his portion to add to mine to make 8 oz! :nono: Relief! lol

Also, I didn't know that the olive oil (or whatever oil you are using - flax, etc.) should not be cooked but taken raw. No more sautéing my shrooms with oil in the frying pan. Total Newbie mistakes. :devil:

Well here I am on Day 11 and so far so good! I do have to say I've been in a pretty bad mood for the last couple days though. I'm not sure if it's IP related or not. My poor bf. :frypan:

Have a great day everyone.

:dust:

The oil thing is news to me, I was never told that it had to be used raw. I have been using it both so I guess I have been doing ok with it.....lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingnutandMe (Post 4220226)
Help!
I am glad I had a loss, but I've only been on the program barely a month. I started out okay, but now my last two WI were only two pounds each. I'm strictly OP. Last week I really felt I was retaining water and was figuring it would be gone and I would have a nice weight loss. I can't begin to figure out what to change. Maybe some of you have some ideas. I have too much weight to loose to stretch this out forever. I will not give up, but I'd like to figure out the path to better results. Thanks for any advice.

You just have to go with it and let the program do what it has to do. There is not specific things that you can do to get the weight off faster. You just have to let the program work, Your body has a mind of its own. You may have slow weeks but it averages out, In the last 10 months I have had slow weeks...... .06lbs...0lbs ....then I had 6lbs...3lbs....Hang in there, in 10 months I have 131lbs gone WITH slow weeks......TRUST ME......There is nothing you can change ...just follow the sheet!

gs463 02-17-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsdavis55 (Post 4220180)

13 lbs in 3 weeks is fabulous!

gs463 02-17-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsdavis55 (Post 4220261)
I agree!! I had the lemon puffs last week for my snack. I took it with me to the movies, and they were SOOO good. I definitely did not miss the popcorn after that little treat. Have you had the Cookies n Cream bar? Its pretty good too. I leave them in the fridge so the 'frosting' doesnt melt.

No I haven't tried them but will at some point.

gs463 02-17-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimrme1 (Post 4220049)
My IP Center had a 2 hour workshop last night and I'm so glad I went! The guest Coach was awesome, answered my questions and cleared a few things up for me. For example, the 8 oz. of meat for dinner is the pre-cooked weight of the meat. Here I've been gagging down 8 oz. of cooked meat (Lord knows how many pounds it was before it shrunk haha) and making my bf make something else for himself when I had to take his portion to add to mine to make 8 oz! :nono: Relief! lol

Also, I didn't know that the olive oil (or whatever oil you are using - flax, etc.) should not be cooked but taken raw. No more sautéing my shrooms with oil in the frying pan. Total Newbie mistakes. :devil:

Well here I am on Day 11 and so far so good! I do have to say I've been in a pretty bad mood for the last couple days though. I'm not sure if it's IP related or not. My poor bf. :frypan:

Have a great day everyone.

:dust:

It's funny how different coaches/clinics give you different information. I was told olive and grapeseed oils only and can be used raw or for cooking.

salmongirl 02-17-2012 08:21 PM

I have to chuckle when about getting the weight off quickly. It took awhile to get it on and we all know it takes longer to take it off. This is about changing your lifestyle and retraining your food addiction into something that will not kill you. I guess I have age on my side, and experience. I have lost 50 lbs a couple of times and gained it back and then some. Slow down, enjoy the process and don't let the scale dictate your mood.
This time I am in for the long haul.

WingnutandMe 02-17-2012 08:32 PM

You just have to go with it and let the program do what it has to do. There is not specific things that you can do to get the weight off faster. You just have to let the program work, Your body has a mind of its own. You may have slow weeks but it averages out, In the last 10 months I have had slow weeks...... .06lbs...0lbs ....then I had 6lbs...3lbs....Hang in there, in 10 months I have 131lbs gone WITH slow weeks......TRUST ME......There is nothing you can change ...just follow the sheet!

Thanks, Wuv, you always help with good support. My coach told me to stop eating restricted items. I'm not sure that would make any difference. I had been eating restricted items at night during the previous week. I then read where they need to be digested, so I moved them back to mid-day. I guess, just to see, I may take one week off. She is also not pleased with me using the recipes or what she considers "experimenting." I have always enjoyed cooking, so I love to try what I read here. I even find things that can be shared with my "never been overweight in his life" husband. Though he doesn't understand what it's like to have to lose weight, he's very supportive. Thanks again for telling me it's just part of the program.

idalana 02-17-2012 08:44 PM

I love reading the advices/stories on this thread , i Love this page , it motivates me everyday

Slimrme1 02-17-2012 09:11 PM

Well I did bake my veggies in the oven with olive oil on them tonight. If cooking with my oil is my biggest sin I think that's ok. :dizzy:

Tripmama 02-17-2012 09:31 PM

WI#4=-6lbs yay! It has been a month and 18 pounds lighter AND 20 inches lost! IIIIIIIPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!

omgzitsmiranda 02-17-2012 10:17 PM

Just wanted to stop by and say hi :)

bethanym 02-17-2012 10:28 PM

All these losses are so motivating....thanks to everyone for sharing!

Well, I made it through Day 1 with only 1 mistake....I had a very stressful work day, and took a nap once the day was over. However, I woke up later than expected and it was really to late to eat more protein before heading back to bed (and then digesting all night). So I skipped it, but will be making a concerted effort to get it ALL in tomorrow.

If you are wondering how I managed to skip a meal, I unfortunately do that a lot and I directly attribute some of my weight gain to not eating regularly (and hypothyroidism). That is why ketosis is a double-edged sword for me. But I WILL eat breakfast and dinner every day going forward...if I am going to invest in the program, I need to do it correctly.

Tomorrow I will be heading to the grocery store to stock up on more veggies and get ready for my first WI next Friday. :)

bethanym 02-17-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyMommy (Post 4220195)
Honestly, I think there are a lot of differences between IP and Adkins (and I've done both). This is a much lower calorie diet and the protein you're getting (from the packets) is a much higher quality, and easily accessible to your body. I would have to do some searching to find the correct reference, but something like 70%-90% of the protein in the packets can be easily used by your body whereas if you eat a steak your body is only able to access 20% of the protein (and you have all that added fat!). I was all about whole, natural, organic food (and still am for my family) but I decided that being obese is more of a health hazard than eating from packets for a fixed period of time. I feel different (in a good way!) on IP than I did on Adkins which I am enjoying because with two toddlers I need the extra energy!

I'm glad you're giving it two weeks to see if it's the right diet for you. I have to admit, the very first time I went in (last August) I decided it wasn't good enough and sold all my packets on e-bay (this was before I found you guys!!). Where in FL are you located? I'm doing Ideal to Go at the moment because we're moving, but I went to a clinic where I'm at, and I know Ideal to Go is based in FL. Who is your coach? Mine has always been really great about getting back to me ASAP with any questions. If you need an answer faster though try calling, they were really helpful one time when I messed up my online order and I got it straightened out in no time. Hope this helps! Good Luck to you!!

NavyMommy, I was never a fan of the original Atkins with the high fat (can you say unlimited bacon?), but was still very successful when I dialed the fat back to a more manageable level. Too bad I eventually resorted back to my old carb-loving ways and regained the lost 40lbs, sigh.

Idealtogo is based in Tampa, and I am right outside of Jacksonville. I probably just should have called, because what if she actually took a day off? One can't keep an eye on email 24/7. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple sky (Post 4220216)
Those were some of my concerns. First of all, I did not understand ketosis. It sounded like an illness or something bad. Then, I was concerned about the packets with splenda and soy and other things. And then after a month my labs results were really good. And this diet has really retrained me on how to eat. So then I realized that later this year I will be eating all whole foods but knowing that my body is used to and likes veggies, it won't be a chore to make them and eat them. And I will be happy to get some fruits, nuts and yogurt back in my life. Maybe bread if I can do that.

I think getting a coach is a good idea. If you have been on these boards long enough you will see that different coaches give different information.

Plus, you will have to experiment. IN the beginning I was tossing my veggies with the required amt of oil and roasting them. For some reason that was not the best for me so I try to get in a serving of raw something like spinach with olive or flaxseed oil (not sure if the latter is allowed but I do it for Omega 3's). That seemed to help me with elimination as it was a problem early on. But, everyone is different. Some eat the same thing every day and do very well.

Also started using a mister. I pour my own olive oil into it and it really helps. That and a good non-stick pan.

But, you are wise to do your research. This diet is a serious commitment.

Purplesky, the high quality protein was one of the reasons I decided to try this plan....I am all for sparing my very limited muscle mass!

I think the one thing I may definitely experiment with is adding chia seed to my drinks. It is high in omega 3's, high in protein, very high in fiber (no Big C!), yet is low in carbs/calories/fat. I think the benefits way outweigh any cons.

And I got new non-stick pans for xmas, so I am in good shape! :D

QHLover 02-17-2012 11:02 PM

just ordered some miracle noodles online. the starter package. anyone know how long it takes to get them?

bethanym 02-17-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHLover (Post 4220419)
just ordered some miracle noodles online. the starter package. anyone know how long it takes to get them?

Where did you order from? Them directly, Amazon, etc.? I am thinking about trying them as well.

Journey36 02-17-2012 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info- I am looking forward to starting this journey next week! I see there is a lot of support and opportunity for q&a on this site- illl be checking in frequently!! I work part time as an RN and I have 2 young kids so I know the convenience of the meals will be fantastic. My hubby is starting the program as well- I'm nervous but excited to get started!

JellyMae87 02-17-2012 11:22 PM

Well after 6 months on the plan. I finally tried kale chips.... They were pretty yummy Nummy in my tummy... LOL

QHLover 02-17-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethanym (Post 4220427)
Where did you order from? Them directly, Amazon, etc.? I am thinking about trying them as well.

miraclenoodle.com and chose the country canada

just downloaded their recipe book - it is free for February

love chinese noodles - hopefully these are tasty

have been looking in the grocery stores but can't find them anywhere

QHLover 02-17-2012 11:42 PM

at Jelly :"like" had them yesterday, they were yummy

Samba 02-17-2012 11:43 PM

hmmmm...now wanting some more kale chips!!

After two weeks on the IP diet....14lbs down! Hurray!

I have to say it is so great to come and read here. Since the people in my family are not on IP, I sometimes feel a bit alone. It makes me feel not so "special" to hear from others who are doing this too.

patns 02-18-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimrme1 (Post 4220315)
Well I did bake my veggies in the oven with olive oil on them tonight. If cooking with my oil is my biggest sin I think that's ok. :dizzy:

It's not a sin but if you only use it in cooking you are might not be getting it all in.

bethanym 02-18-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHLover (Post 4220438)
miraclenoodle.com and chose the country canada

just downloaded their recipe book - it is free for February

love chinese noodles - hopefully these are tasty

have been looking in the grocery stores but can't find them anywhere

I thought the Spinach noodles looked interesting, but they weren't in the variety pack, darn it.

Quote:

Spinach Angel Hair is our latest noodle. It is also rapidly become our favorite as a direct Italian pasta substitute. The spinach added to this does change the texture to one that is more al dente pasta like.

Whereas some of our other noodles are often used as side dishes, we are finding that this one is being used increasingly as the main dish. This noodle also holds onto sauces better than the others which also makes it great for simple pasta dishes.
I think I am going to go ahead and order some anyway!

bethanym 02-18-2012 12:36 AM

I just ordered the Spinach Angel Hair Miracle Noodles, and got a 10% off coupon (code 210) by signing up for a newsletter.

But I did not get a link to a recipes guide?