Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

I also tried them just a few days ago (after Steve posted the chill fries recipe) and I loved them! As others have said, boil for 5 minutes in salt water and then bake. After I boil them I put them in a ziploc bag, add olive oil, sea salt, a bit of garlic powder and a bit of chilly powder, shake shake shake, bake, and enjoy!
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #17  
Started IP Oct. 17, 2011

Yum. I am hitting the store this week so I am looking forward to trying them again. I also want to try the Chili Fries he posted. Thanks everyone.
Mickeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 201.8/180.8/140

Height: 5'6

I noticed the turnips have a bitter taste when they are not cooked long enough. If you cook them a little longer, the bitter taste goes away and they taste more like potatoes/fries. What I do is spray them with a non-stick butter flavored spray on a cookie sheet. I usually line it with foil first so the clean up is easier. Then I use a seasoning mix. I use the 20 Season Salute from TJ's, but any all seasonings will probably taste great too. I sprinkle it on top and bake at 425 for around 20 min. You can taste first too to make sure the bitter taste is gone. Mine never get real crisp, but they are delicious none the less.
GettingItOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 298.8/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

I make turnip fries about 3x/week. In Canada you can buy them in bags already cut up into sticks, right next to the baby carrots. I toss them in some EVOO and add Mrs. Dash Southwest blend for a little kick. Cook them @ 425F for 20 mins then turn them and cook another 20 mins. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt.

I have them everytime I make Big Mac in a Bowl. Had them last night with Roast chicken and broccoli slaw. Even have them with steak on the BBQ, my whole family likes them and better for you than potato fries.

Enjoy!
alexandallismom is offline   Reply With Quote