Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #1  

Default Cheating with Atkins?

I did Atkins a few years back.. ok, well, 7 years to be honest. I lost 30 lbs in about 3 months. Definitely not as fast as Ideal Protein, but the weight loss was pretty consistent. A bad week would still be 1-2 lbs lost.

I've had a few moments.. ok, being honest again.. a couple moments a week, where I just feel like I need to gnaw on something. I've been cheating, and I've been doing it following what I remember with Atkins.
I am OP a good 5 days per week, it's the weekends where I get in to trouble.

Here is an example, and a similar situation is coming up for me. I was at a cookout and it was a meat cookout. Hamburgers, Chicken, Sausages, Hotdogs. I had one of each!!! Later, when people were eating chips and drinking beers, I went to the cooked meat plate and gobbled up another sausage. I felt bad afterwards, but when I weighed in 3 days later ( 2 days OP), I was down a pound.

Has anyone else cheated with Atkins? Have a butter chicken day, an extra sausage, some extra oil on top of your soup packet?

Any health issues to be concerned about? If I eat a large meat meal, I get a little tired afterward. I thought the opposite would happen and I'd actually have some energy for once (I don't have a lot while OP in Phase 1. I typically need a midday nap).
TC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

when i first started IP- i cheated with atkins stuff..like peperoni bacon and hot dogs..i did it for the first 4 days until my body went into ketosis..cause it felt like it was the only way to stay full..no i didnt gain weight..i in fact lost weight..about 5 pounds.. so it wasnt bad..but its not healthy though to eat that kind of high fattning food..however.. i switched right over to strict IP and did away with that stuff once the hunger issue was over with.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

It's funny, in my mind I never "cheated" on IP because I never ate off program carbs. However, DH and I went to a buffet probably every third week or so and ate meat and veggies until we were stuffed. We would go a day or two after weigh in so we had plenty of time to be strictly OP before the next WI. I'm sure it didn't help us lose, but I honestly don't think it slowed down our losses much if any. And it helped us mentally to have a fun meal once in a while.
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #4  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

To be honest, if I WAS going to cheat, I hope I cheat with Atkins so I stay in ketosis. I also lost 50 lbs about 8 years ago on Atkins. I'm not planning to cheat but next week I'm going away to visit my son for my grandson's birthday and I hope if I have problems I choose to eat protein rather than go into the carbs.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #5  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

All that I have to say about cheating, is you are not being honest with yourself and it is your money.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 326.8/see sig/190

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
All that I have to say about cheating, is you are not being honest with yourself and it is your money.
I would have to slightly disagree with you. If you acknowledge that you have cheated than you are being honest with yourself. You may not have stayed on program but what is better, to have a cheat day every 2-3 weeks or completely give up and go back to old habits. If cheating helps you to stick to the plan in the long run that is what matters. It just might take a little longer to get to goal, but as long as you get there does it matter. To each their own on how they work the plan, no one should feel guilty in how they get to goal as long as they get to their goal.
bludolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/137/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludolphin View Post
I would have to slightly disagree with you. If you acknowledge that you have cheated than you are being honest with yourself. You may not have stayed on program but what is better, to have a cheat day every 2-3 weeks or completely give up and go back to old habits. If cheating helps you to stick to the plan in the long run that is what matters. It just might take a little longer to get to goal, but as long as you get there does it matter. To each their own on how they work the plan, no one should feel guilty in how they get to goal as long as they get to their goal.
How can cheating help you stick to the plan if cheating is NOT part of the plan? The OP didn't just have a little cheat, she had a hamburger, hot dog, chicken and sausages...this is exactly the kind of mentality that got most of us to the point where we needed to lose weight in the first place. IP is a successful weight loss plan, no question...but it is also about taking control of your life so that you are not eating by compulsion or emotion. I agree with 2RIDE, when you cheat, you let yourself down (and you are throwing money away)
brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't cheat for a couple of reasons"
1. I am a very slow loser and I really want to lose the weight
2. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ this is an expensive program, don't care what others say for our budget, it is expensive. I feel guilty over the money, so I certainly am not going to cheat!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

I have some cheese sometimes. It is a food that I have a struggle with. It is not ideal protein but in my mind I rationalize it because of the lack of carbs. I know it has slowed my weight loss down but I am still so happy with my results so far. Going onto phase 3 on we'd. And probably could have done that a couple of months ago had I not gotten into the cheese like a rat!
Determinedat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #10  

IMO, everyone is different and whatever works for you is the best way to go about it. I haven't looked at the different stages and I am taking it one stage at a time. I have considered looking into Atkins for maintenance. Also, we are going on a vacation in 4 weeks. I told my coach about it before I started and she said it would be fine. She said a lot of people who go off plan for a short time are pleasantly surprised with a small gain or, even better, a small loss. She hasn't given me vacation instructions--maybe she will not---if not, I will brush up on Atkins diet and go that route.

TC40, how are you doing now? Bigpassport/Lee how are you doing?
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #11  

So I ended up doing Atkins for about a week while on vacation. I can't really say Atkins, because I don't know what that diet is anymore. There is a newer version than when I did it last. My focus when eating out was just to avoid all carbs. The only area I didn't care as much was with my salads, but I made sure to get the lower carb dressings (used sparingly) and I avoided any salads that had carb adds like candied pecans, dried fruits (or I asked them be omitted).

When I weighed in the following morning after the vacation, as expected, I was up several pounds, but I knew I had entire meals floating around in my digestive system. So one day pack on program, once I felt my digestion (and regularity) were back on track, I weighed in. I ended up losing a pound on vacation. I know a 1 lb loss over 8 days isn't what most people want on this program, but all in all I was quite pleased with myself. I even bought some new clothes while on vacation and after a single use and a normal wash - they still fit (not that I buy clothes that shrink a lot, but I am used to going on vacations and all my clothes feeling overly snug).

I also got a bunch of compliments from people I haven't seen in awhile. That always feels good.
TC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #12  

TC40, that is great! Compliments are good for the soul and you have earned them! Thank you for sharing how vacation went. That is exactly what I am going to do. The difference will be that I am drinking alcohol on this vacation but I hear that I will be a cheap date, lol. Apparently, it takes very little alcohol to feel a buzz while on this diet so I will have to sip carefully.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
IMO, everyone is different and whatever works for you is the best way to go about it. I haven't looked at the different stages and I am taking it one stage at a time. I have considered looking into Atkins for maintenance. Also, we are going on a vacation in 4 weeks. I told my coach about it before I started and she said it would be fine. She said a lot of people who go off plan for a short time are pleasantly surprised with a small gain or, even better, a small loss. She hasn't given me vacation instructions--maybe she will not---if not, I will brush up on Atkins diet and go that route.

TC40, how are you doing now? Bigpassport/Lee how are you doing?
I am getting ready to head out for vacation in 2 weeks and my vacation plan is as follows:

1 week (starting tomorrow) at Phase 2
1 week (starting next Wed.) at Phase 3
Vacation- follow maintenance / Phase 4

This is the protocol that my coach came up with and she said that if I can follow this, I should not have much more than a couple pounds gain on vacation. And that will probably just be glycogen stores.

Either way, I am prepared for up to 5 pounds gain and coming back and jumping back on Phase 1 to finish the job and phase off again for maintenance.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #14  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
I am getting ready to head out for vacation in 2 weeks and my vacation plan is as follows:

1 week (starting tomorrow) at Phase 2
1 week (starting next Wed.) at Phase 3
Vacation- follow maintenance / Phase 4

This is the protocol that my coach came up with and she said that if I can follow this, I should not have much more than a couple pounds gain on vacation. And that will probably just be glycogen stores.

Either way, I am prepared for up to 5 pounds gain and coming back and jumping back on Phase 1 to finish the job and phase off again for maintenance.
Hi...I am back from my extended work/vacation of 3 weeks! Here's how it went:

I did one week of phase 2 to prepare.
2 weeks of phase 3 (heavenly diet!)

Then I left. I found it easy in the beginning to stay roughly on a phase 3 plan, mx plan; eating with awareness and making choices to enjoy but minimize the damages. I had a "cheat" meal and followed it with a phase 1 day and it all felt fine.

BUT...as time went on, I absolutely struggled more and more. I wound up eating days in a row, all sorts of things completely indulgent. I did not beat myself up, as I planned to allow myself to do this, but with other people around and entertaining, etc. it became really hard for me to stay as true to the mx plan as I had hoped to do.

I did exercise nearly every day, even did some spectactular hiking up steep mountain trails that took hours. I'm sure that helped to offset some of the food, but I was drawn into the temptations and ate with abandon. Yes, it was yummy...but at the same time there was a different awareness. Often I noticed that I truly feel/felt better eating more streamlined, and if I had to use an alka-seltzer...lol...oh my, I was confronted so straightforward with the absurdity of overeating!!!!

I THINK what helped me is that I knew without question that I could come back and return OP and get back on track. Yesterday I started OP and it felt GREAT and familiar. I feel confident to buckle down, finish the program properly.

Obviously, the challenge will be to find how to maintain. For me it's not likely to be a problem unless there is vacation time, as I'm pretty disciplined other than that. Will deal with that issue as it comes up.

THE DIRT: I was down to 147 pounds two days after I left (I bought a scale!!!! helped me to keep track!).
My weight varied while gone but stayed around 153-155 most of the time.

Upon arriving home, the next day, I weighed in at 158.8. Today after one day OP, I weighed in at 157.0.

It's more than I had wanted to gain, but I have a feeling that the pounds are not solid and that by the end of the week (I have a formal weigh in on Friday) I'll be closer to the 155 which was my "acceptable" planned weight not to exceed.

The lesson: I'm disciplined, but food is still my drug of choice. It's not over, but the IP diet is a tool to help me find a way to utilize self-control and manage my life better.

For those who are critical, self-control is vital to happiness BUT I believe that self-correction is just as powerful, and exercised with kindness, holds the balance that we all crave.

JENNY: I hope my experience helps you while you are gone. Please keep us informed as to how the next few weeks go! How long are you going away for?

Happy to be back!!!!!!!!!
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Thanks Purr. It definitely helps to know how things went for you. I am a touch nervous that I will start out strong and then eat with reckless abandon towards the end of the trip, as that is my typical vacation protocol! I wouldn't worry too much about it, because it is vacation, afterall. And I am also very disciplined on day to day eating, but I usually get a little out of control on vacation.

I am excited to start P2 today! I am going to be away for 10 days, so it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote