Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #1  

Default Can't kick the Coffee!

So I'm used to having two to three lattes a day. And I've changed the milk to either non-fat or 1% depending on what I have. I know that IP allows only a little of dairy/milk per day but I'm sure that I'm totally going over. It never slowed down my weight loss in the beginning, but I'm trying to figure out what has slowed it down with the last 20lbs to go. And I'm guessing that might be it! I've tried really hard to drink it black, but I don't like the taste.
On top of that, my IP coach told me to STAY away from Equal! Not sure if that's an IP restriction or if that's because she personally doesn't believe in artificial sweeteners. But I've tried stevia and its just too sweet! Me no likey!

What have you all done to try and kick the coffee habit?
mymooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7'

I drink two cups of coffee every day (at least!) and always did a very healthy dose of 1% milk and splenda....being on this diet made me change my coffee and I really do love it.

Now, I use the RTD vanilla shake as a 'creamer'...it's sweet, creamy and makes the coffee fabulous. Now, they are $5 each instead of $4 so I am experimenting with the carb control EAS RTD shakes and do like they quite a bit. They are sweetened with splenda so they are fine.

Equaly is not 'ok' on this diet at all. If you can't do stevia, do splenda.

Hope this helps.
stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Equal is aspartame and we shouldn't be using aspartame. I use one packet of french vanilla splenda or hazelnut splenda. I've tried a few things, ie WF syrups and Torani Syrups but I keep going back to the one packet of french vanilla splenda.

I used to really doctor my coffee, I think that's probably where I gained most of my weight now that I'm not. So even when I'm done I'll just use that splenda packet. It took a while for me to be 'ok' with it...I am now. Keep trying different things.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #4  

Talking

If you have to have milk (like I do) try unsweetened almond milk. It has 40 calories for a whole cup!! So using it in your coffee is at least 1/2 the calories of skim milk which is 80-100 calories a cup. This may help?
cjungrl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #5  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

Try the choc RTD or mix a cappoccino packet and add it to your coffee.
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #6  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

I also always had my coffee with cream and sweetener and to be honest, I'd sooner have it black than to have it with skim milk. Surprisingly the day I started IP I just took it black with splenda and struggled through. Now I'm actually enjoying it.

But by far, my fav breakfast is a RTD vanilla shake with a big spoonful of instant coffee blended with ice. Just like an ice capp. I don't know what it would be like warmed up.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I drink coffee every morning with a vanilla shake and a tiny bit of WF caramel because I had a serious Starbucks obsession. I use a 16oz cup and do half coffee half shake two times. My first cup is the only one with caramel because I put that in my cup before I leave home. I do that because then I only have the 1 serving of WF a day and I also don't want a bottle of WF caramel at work. Who knows who would use it. Yes, they do that at my job. Love the 1st cup but the 2nd is good too. I will do this while maintaining because I love it and it's easy. I don't have time for breakfast during the week nor am I a huge breakfast fan. I may throw a couple pieces of turkey bacon with it or something but I find just this keeps me totally satisfied until lunch.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #8  
On my last diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime View Post
I drink coffee every morning with a vanilla shake and a tiny bit of WF caramel because I had a serious Starbucks obsession. I use a 16oz cup and do half coffee half shake two times. My first cup is the only one with caramel because I put that in my cup before I leave home. I do that because then I only have the 1 serving of WF a day and I also don't want a bottle of WF caramel at work. Who knows who would use it. Yes, they do that at my job. Love the 1st cup but the 2nd is good too. I will do this while maintaining because I love it and it's easy. I don't have time for breakfast during the week nor am I a huge breakfast fan. I may throw a couple pieces of turkey bacon with it or something but I find just this keeps me totally satisfied until lunch.
that sounds really yummy. Do you reheat it after putting the shake in? I use the chocolate shake in my coffee sometimes but not much because it makes my coffee cold.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Nope. I use the rtd shakes and I don't put them in the fridge so they are about room temp. I don't mind it on ice either though.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #10  

for breakfast I mix 6 oz of coffee with the IP Cappuccino mix and a packet of splenda in a blender with ice ....frappacino fantastic
eskrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #11  
Started IP on 7/15/2011

S/C/G: 184/161/130

Height: 5ft4in

I like coffee too...I don't mind stevia (a little goes a long way) but my coach said to cut back on caffeine so I picked up the "1/2 the caffeine" kind that Folger's makes. I haven't noticed a difference yet, but there's been other things going on that I think messed up my weight loss, such as starting to have a high carb item every day after 3 weeks of not having one each day.
Travel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I don't drink coffee too often but when I do, I use some of the RTD vanilla in it. If you are interested in seriously kicking the coffee habit, I have done it. I only, very occasionally, have a cup of coffee now, and when I do, it is decaf. Here is what I suggest:

1). Pick a weekend where you do not have any commitments and if you spent the whole weekend on the sofa, it would not be a big deal
2). Start on a Thursday, and do not have any coffee. Drink lots of water to help keep you busy. You should feel ok on this day.
3). By Friday morning, you will probably be jonesing for some coffee and start to feel a little head-achy, but it shouldn't be too bad. You should be able to get through work without an issue. Keep drinking lots and lots of water.
4). By Saturday and Sunday, you will be full blown into withdrawal. You will feel headachy and fatigued, and most likely crabby This is why you need to have a weekend that you can just go through the motions. When I did this, I pretty much slept the weekend away. Continue with as much water as humanly possible.
5). By Monday morning you will be on the upswing. You still won't feel 100%, but you will be functional. Each day from this point gets better and better.

Once you are off coffee, it is the most amazing feeling! You will feel energized without "needing" your caffeine boost.

Good luck!
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #13  

I totally forgot about the RTD shakes! I've done that before but then stopped once my hours were cut at work because the cost was hard.
I have the Kureg frother and would put the RTD Vanilla in. It works! And makes it nice an frothy just like a latte or cappuccino. Thanks for reminding me!
I also didn't realize that equal was a no no.
I'll change to splenda. I didn't know spleda came in flavors too so that makes me hopeful!
Ive tried putting some of the IP cappuccino or chocolate drink mix in with coffee but the consistency grossed me out.
I've tried Almond milk and even unsweetened coconut milk to add to my coffee and it still grossed me out.
I think its the cream texture that I'm missing. That's why frothing up the RTD vanilla worked for me so well.
What's tuff is when I'm not home to make my coffee and I have to stop at Starbucks to get my fix!
mymooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #14  
On my last diet

Keurig has a frother? I've got to get me one of those! I have a Keurig coffee maker that I absolutely love but making froth with my shake would make it amazing.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 159/150/129

Height: 5'2

I am a coffee fan as well
If you go out for coffee what I get is a decaf ( I don't drink caffine) americano with sugar free vanilla from star bucks
I add my own 1 oz of milk... very close to the latte without all of the dairy

I also make coffee shakes with my keurig, and mix with vanilla pudding, vanilla RTD or the capp mix.
I make a cup the night before and put it in the fridge for my morning shake making

There are also TONS of sugar free splenda sweetened syrups by Torani that you can add to your coffee with your 1 oz of skim milk to make your own almost latte's at home... Walden farms sugar free carmel drizzled over a cold iced coffee is also a great hot day treat
Thefireresides is offline   Reply With Quote