Old 11-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 273/273/180

Great thread - thanks for the advice! I am looking at getting back into my BodyPump DVD's and weights that I have at home, but am thinking I will wait until week 3 to start - do you think that's ok or should I start now? I am on week 1, day 5.

Thanks!
TeagsC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #32  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeagsC View Post
Great thread - thanks for the advice! I am looking at getting back into my BodyPump DVD's and weights that I have at home, but am thinking I will wait until week 3 to start - do you think that's ok or should I start now? I am on week 1, day 5.

Thanks!
Definitely wait until your body has settled into ketosis first. You don't want to completely shock your system And by week 3, you are pretty in tune with your body and will be able to tell very quickly whether or not you will be able to sustain the exercise on P1.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 145/124.8/120

Height: 5'2.5"

I've been trying to remember how long I waited last go round to add exercise (which I've alwa done regularly). I think it was three weeks. I recall enjoying it, easing back in and adding an extra packet.
locopollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 273/273/180

Thanks girls!
TeagsC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #35  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/hea...tent.aspx?id=7

This is also a pretty good one and has several other useful calculators.

It is important to hit the right "zone"...and there is a good grid on the exercise calculator here for that. It IS so important not push to a heart rate that is more than moderate while on IP. Many gym equipment built in calculators actually show the fat burning/weight loss zone is BELOW the more intense cardio levels. It's all related!
Thank you for this one, I hadn't seen it on my googling results.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #36  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
I have a question for the experts / wise ones ...

I typically exercise in the morning before eating.

I take a 1 hour (2.5 mile) walk in my neighborhood up and down a few hills. (I weigh 298 pounds, so I am about 100 pounds overweight.) If I get tired or winded going up the few hills, I slow down or stop, so I pace myself well. Most of my track is either downhill or level.

Is that bad to do that on an empty stomach? Will I burn muscle? Or will the 80g protein I ate the previous day and evening still be floating around in my system at 7am the following morning.

Thanks for any advice / info!
You've already gotten good information but I wanted to tell you that for sure, 100%, you're totally fine to exercise in a fasted state. The only thing you will want to avoid is very intense exercise fasted and then not eat for a long time after.

The 80g of protein you ate yesterday is completely digested but it doesn't make any difference. Your body can run almost entirely off of fat and the CNS that needs glucose gets it from liver glycogen.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #37  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You've already gotten good information but I wanted to tell you that for sure, 100%, you're totally fine to exercise in a fasted state. The only thing you will want to avoid is very intense exercise fasted and then not eat for a long time after.

The 80g of protein you ate yesterday is completely digested but it doesn't make any difference. Your body can run almost entirely off of fat and the CNS that needs glucose gets it from liver glycogen.

This is great info! Thanks!! Puts my mind at ease.

(By the way "CNS" in the response post above means central nervous system ... I had to Google it)

Last edited by Avalon1957; 11-08-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #38  
Fat melting NINJA:)

S/C/G: 141/130/115

Height: 5.2

After reading all your posts, I am now motivated to start adding my gym routine slowly back!! Week 4 ends this Tuesday. I want to start jogging 2-3 miles 1-2 a week and/or lift (full body) twice a week. ((I used to run 3-4 miles 3 times a week and lift heavy 3-4 days before i started IP)) I will drink my Jay Rob whey shake post workout and take BCAAs pre-workout. Try this for a week and hope i get awesome results like u guys..
Please advise.
Aria05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #39  
Serial Dieter

Walking every day has really helped me increase my weight loss rate.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 11-22-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #40  

Quote:
Exercise is KEY to maximizing your losses (IMHO)
It really isn't. It's really diet for losses & exercise for toning.
Exercise can actually cause temporary inflammation (the muscle soreness) which is reflected in water weight on the scale.

Is exercise a hugely healthy part of lifestyle change? Absolutely.
Does it improve mood and help regulate blood sugar? Yes!
Does good muscle tone help with sagginess? Oftentimes, yes, especially after some time.

But diet (food intake) is responsible for most of our weight loss journey, especially the speed at which we drop lbs.

I've read research that showed a sum loss for exercise being helpful in weight loss. It actually increases appetite and may cause some to eat more.
So, keep exercise light during the weight loss phase and ramp up when a few hundred more calories are added to the day in maintenance.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #41  
Serial Dieter

I guess the bottom line is everyone and every body is different.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 11-22-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #42  
Fat melting NINJA:)

S/C/G: 141/130/115

Height: 5.2

I have lost weight with just exercising (~1300cal diet) before and I am losing weight with just IP now. So i kinda agree with you both. Homo Sapiens are weird like that
I want to start adding gym routine this week and see how it goes coz i will be traveling soon and i need my strength back. SO this will be a warm up for my travel and an experiment to see how my body does with both ketosis and gym routine.
Thank you Avalon and Lisa!! I appreciate it so much when you guys take out time to advise or and caution newbies like us. It really helps us to not go crazy and stay cautious. You guys are awesome!!
Happy OP day to y'all!!

Last edited by Aria05; 11-10-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Aria05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #43  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I guess the bottom line is everyone and every body is different. And everyone needs to figure out what works for them!

Maybe some lose great with little to no exercise.

I know for me, I was struggling to drop pounds and my losses seemed slow as molasses. It was very frustrating. There were some weeks where I would lose 1 pound in a week. AGGGHHH!!!

Then I started walking in my hilly neighborhood for an hour every morning and now I am losing 3/4 of a pound nearly every day -- and I've lost nearly 2" from my waistline in the past 18 days.

The truth is I don't know if walking for an hour in the morning will work for anyone else -- it might not. All I can say is it's working like a charm for me. I think it's kicking up my metabolism and burn rate first thing in the AM -- and I burn better all day as a result.

But certainly people need to experiment and find their own keys to success -- I am sure they are different for everyone!

Peace and Love!
I wonder how much of the helpfulness exercise gives towards weight loss is directly related to the amount of weight we NEED to lose, and the individual basal metabolic rate.

I know that my weight loss can be fairly consistent with no exercise at all, just the diet; but I have so much energy that I feel antsy just sitting around. I've been active all my life (barring the last 5 ish years) so exercise is something that my body knows, and enjoys.

I have noticed that diet alone loses the weight, but it doesn't lose the inches. Exercise is changing my shape.

So, there are benefits to both sides - exercise or not exercise.

Exercise for me releases endorphins, doesn't make me hungrier - or, at least, not in a manner that I will act on now that hunger is just a sensation and not a driving need to shovel food into my mouth! - and it makes me happy because my day is kickstarted doing something I enjoy.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 189/162.5/168

Quote:
I guess the bottom line is everyone and every body is different. And everyone needs to figure out what works for them!

Peace and Love!
I did Walk Away the Pounds videos most days on P1 ----- light exercise helps my mood!

Lisa--I also get hungrier when I do heavy exercise and it seems to derail my progress when I am on P1.

Everyone is different
Taye168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

What do you think about research on carb/protein ratio of 3-4:1 for optimum muscle recovery? Eg.

http://www.coachtroy.com/public/456.cfm

Since our last convo on this (if you recall on another IP thread), I've been taking 20-30g protein after my hard/long sessions. But then I've been reading about the need for carbs too to preserve muscles.
magical is offline   Reply With Quote