Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

Default Hungry!

So I am (and have been) struggling with hunger. Some days are better than others but today, for example, I am sitting here at 10:15 and just ate a Vanilla Peanut Butter bar after trying to avoid a 4th IP item today. I had 3 romaine stir fries, over 4 liters of water (lots of hot tea tonight!), and all the other items i am required to have. I don't sleep well on a hungry tummy, so I caved. In hindsight, I should have just had a 4th packet rather than make my 4th item a restricted one, but it's too late for that now.

I was trying so hard to do Phase 1 bootcamp after having given in to temptation (for the millionth time), but am legitimately hungry. I am sitting here waiting my 20 minutes hoping the protein and fats will help signal my brain I am full.

In the meantime, anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #2  

You have fed your body so now it must be emotional hunger. CAn you find something to do like clean out some drawers, try on some clothes, organize something? Watch "FAthead" on hulu.com or any of the extreme weight loss edition shows on hulu.com.
sandyh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #3  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Sometimes even when I have eaten, it's not quite enough to take away the "real" hunger. I'd assess for the emotional component, but when I really feel I am hungry I will have additional protein, either in a packet or a real chicken breast, and although I do not have staggering losses each week I am steadily losing.
having a restricted, and for me on occasion an extra one, is a far better option than losing it for a real binge. I think you're doing GREAT.

Oh...brush your teeth!! That can help alot!
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

For me it is not the hunger, it is just a craving thing. I sit here and think about those damn bars. Like right now I would just kill for something like that especially this time of night but I know I'm not technically hungry I just want it. I'm no help I guess I can just relate..sometimes I try to save my restricted for right now but it always ends up going at 3pm or so!
wildflower613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #5  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Find something else to do besides THINK of the hunger you are having! I agree with sandy watch hulu.com, try on clothes, read a book or something but STOP thinking about what you can't have!!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #6  

Lol, I can totally relate to planning to wait on the restricted but having it early! They are pretty tasty little treats!

I am feeling less hungry now as the bar is settling in, fortunately. I am downing another 16 oz bottle of water as well (yep, I will be up peeing all night!). Ahhhhh, relief! The cravings are dissipating as I type and my tummy is no longer rumbling!

I guess having some additional purer protein is something that might be an option when needed. It wouldn't alter ketosis, and might fill be more than the lettuce (and without the stomach aches that 3 hearts of romaine in a day have caused)!

Thanks =)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #7  

Never even heard of hulu.com! I will check it out!

I am satisfied after the bar, so no worries there (thanks WUV)!!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

[QUOTE=coliep;3968188]So I am (and have been) struggling with hunger. Some days are better than others

You are at a pretty good weight for your height and I noticed in some of your other posts that you seem to be very physically active. You likely are experiencing real hunger. Why not try having more "real" protein in the evening like the chicken breast?
I'm sure you know the reason they don't recommend more than light exercise on the plan is because on such low calories your body will pull energy from wherever it can including muscles. Maybe your body is trying to avoid that.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #9  

Thanks Pat - I am considering this, now wondering when would be the best time. Should I spread it throughout the day or save it for evening? When I get too hungry, I make poor choices and my decicion making tends to suffer at night as well. Sitting down and eating a chicken breast or an egg at 8pm seems kind of weird, so maybe if I have that with some lettuce (i.e. a grilled chicken salad) instead of the IP snack in the afternoon and save the 3rd IP for post-dinner, pre bedtime? I could see having a pudding rather than an egg at night! That and from a $$ perspective, not having a 4th (or 5th) IP would make things easier . . .

Last edited by coliep; 08-01-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #10  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

You can experiment and see what works. You are my height; I'm getting pretty comfortable at my current weight, and think that getting near the 140 mark should do it.
BUT...I know that I have the mind set of "just a few more pounds" and always like to strive for more.
i find I have cravings too. It's almost always not because of hunger. I want those to go away, that would be real success. Not having to fight the mental war.
For now...stay the course. You are so close.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Not sure what is the best time to add it in, I was hungry at night too, I changed my IP snack to evening from afternoon. But I'm not terribly hungry having a huge salad at lunch helps. I am much shorter than you, have a much higher BMI and not very active at this time so the foods as outlined are fine. But I think once you throw even moderate activity in it changes the balance. Also with a normal BMI you will be more muscular and muscle burns calories faster.
I think I'd try the extra protein in the afternoon and the IP snack in the evening. Good luck with solving this.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #12  

Purrrfect - I agree, always wanting to lose 1 more pound! My goal is to look / feel good and I don't know what weight that will be wtih my post-baby body. I have been as low as 130 as an adult and loved that, I was comfortable at 135 too. In the end, I want to weigh no more than 137 with a full belly, at night, on my period lol!

I will experiment, thanks for the thoughts! I am struggling because I have fallen off the wagon and have not seen scale movement in over a week yet there are nights when I am still hungry. I know there are people who pushed passed plateau's (and did't have themselves to blame for no movement), and I need to draw strength from them!!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 135.6/127/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliep View Post
So I am (and have been) struggling with hunger. Some days are better than others but today, for example, I am sitting here at 10:15 and just ate a Vanilla Peanut Butter bar after trying to avoid a 4th IP item today. I had 3 romaine stir fries, over 4 liters of water (lots of hot tea tonight!), and all the other items i am required to have. I don't sleep well on a hungry tummy, so I caved. In hindsight, I should have just had a 4th packet rather than make my 4th item a restricted one, but it's too late for that now.

I was trying so hard to do Phase 1 bootcamp after having given in to temptation (for the millionth time), but am legitimately hungry. I am sitting here waiting my 20 minutes hoping the protein and fats will help signal my brain I am full.

In the meantime, anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
Coliep, have you considered moving to phase 2, maybe w/lunch and dinner proteins if your own you'll feel more satisfied. You can still lose weight on phase 2. For me I know upping my 1 protein a day to about 7oz. has defiantly helped w/feeling better and less hungry, less cravings. Good luck.
niknakjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #14  

NikNak - I have thought about it and some days (when I have more time), I do. I am actually contemplating to switching to Phase 3 and phasing out because I am struggling so much with sticking to the diet, but I keep telling myself I will do 1 week of Phase 1 (or 2) until I lose a few more pounds . . . but then I never make it a week without a slip up and the scale isn't moving at all (well, at least not in the right direction). So, I am wishy-washy and keep waffling . . . and feel shifts in my appetite as well (not really hungry in the mornings anymore but hungry in the afternoon/evening instead). I might try supplementing Phase 1 with a salad and an egg white or something in the afternoon (esp on workout days) to see how I feel with that . . .

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!