Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Marathon Training and IP

I successfully finished IP in May and lost 28 pounds, then went a little crazy during maintenance and never recovered properly and gained some weight back. I would like to get back to where I was when I went into maintenance and lose the 7 pounds I gained , but my marathon training has started and I don't know if I can get by on the amount of calories and carbs in the regular IP. I'm averaging about 30+ miles a week.

I'm not sure what protocol I should do? The Alternative Protocol (3 additional food choices, not alternative products) or the athletic protocol I've read about. Has anyone had success doing the IP Alternative Protocol while maintaining a relatively strenuous exercise routine? Any thoughts, tips? What about the Athletic Protocol? Is there an protocol sheet for the Athletic plan? Sorry for all the questions. Just wanted to see what others have done and had success with.

Thanks!!!
waterbaby102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/160.5/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbaby102 View Post
I successfully finished IP in May and lost 28 pounds, then went a little crazy during maintenance and never recovered properly and gained some weight back. I would like to get back to where I was when I went into maintenance and lose the 7 pounds I gained , but my marathon training has started and I don't know if I can get by on the amount of calories and carbs in the regular IP. I'm averaging about 30+ miles a week.

I'm not sure what protocol I should do? The Alternative Protocol (3 additional food choices, not alternative products) or the athletic protocol I've read about. Has anyone had success doing the IP Alternative Protocol while maintaining a relatively strenuous exercise routine? Any thoughts, tips? What about the Athletic Protocol? Is there an protocol sheet for the Athletic plan? Sorry for all the questions. Just wanted to see what others have done and had success with.

Thanks!!!
I am also waiting to hear about the athletic protocol plan....since I need to start training for a marathon in the next month!
sonoio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I would also love to know what the athletic protocol is, if anyone out there has that info.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

Holy smokes! You are going to need an additional 400 cals/day (at the minimum) if you are running that much. Doesn't sound like a lot, but since IP is a calorie restricted diet, that is about 2X the diet!! It should probably also be in pure protein since you are carb restricted...otherwise you will be eating your muscle and bones right up.

I personally would absolutely not risk this. If you feel like you should go ahead with it, I would only do it under a physician's watch and have a diatician calc your LBM and figure EXACTLY how much more protein/fat/carb you should take. And then I would follow your diet very closely!

Can't you postpone IP? How about eating high protein, high fat, low carb (not to the point of ketosis) count cals, do your marathon and lose weight that way. You can always come back to IP.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html Here is just one article for you to read about the hormonal effects of calorie restriction and high intensity exercise. There are so many more...
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the link serendipity! Still figuring out a plan
waterbaby102 is offline   Reply With Quote