Can you supplement a packet for lean meat? - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #1  

Smile Can you supplement a packet for lean meat?

Hello!!

I have been on IP for 2 weeks and lost 11 lbs. The past few days I have been eating meat 2 times per day and only eating 2 packets of ip. I am doing this because I crave meat soooo bad. I am curious if anyone else has done this or if they have been told not to!
Thanks
Liz

Last edited by lizzie0988; 05-23-2011 at 12:11 AM.
lizzie0988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #2  
Started IP May 1, 2011

S/C/G: 200/186/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie0988 View Post
Hello!!

I have been on IP for 2 weeks and lost 11 lbs. The past few days I have been eating meat 2 times per day and only eating 2 packets of ip. I am doing this because I crave meat soooo bad. I am curious if anyone else has done this or if they have been told not to!
Thanks
Liz
Hi - Ive been on the program for 3 weeks now. I did this too (ate lean meat for lunch and dinner) last week, and yes was told not to. Your body is able to absorb a lot more of the IP protein (90-95%) than you do lean meat protein (30-35%) plus you have added calories and fat with lean protein. I didnt lose as much last week as well so maybe it had to do with that?
SamanthaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #3  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

I'm not sure where IP gets their data, but everything I've read shows digestibility of meat and fish at around 94%. Egg protein is the highest at 97% and soy (which is a major component of many IP packets) at around 78%.

That being said, IP wants you to use packets instead of meat because they SELL packets... not meat.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #4  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

I too am a meat junkie (daughter of a cattle rancher and niece to sheep ranchers). I ALWAYS eat 8 oz of protein for my meat meal (I am not one of those who when in ketosis isn't hungry- I have been in ketosis since day 5 and find myself hungry often). I sympathize with the craving (and all things considered you could be craving worse) But... Not to sound to harsh(so I am sending you a big hug so as not to seem uncaring or unsympathetic - the opposite is true--- I want to see you succeed because I know how good that success feels and I want it for everyone on this forum including you)- but you are not following phase 1 protocol. You really need to eat your 3 packets a day - the packets are more then just protein. The packets contain carbohydrates your body needs while in phase 1. If you crave meat eat 8oz at dinner or split up your 8 oz into 2 smaller 4 oz servings for lunch and dinner. While your body is adjusting to this diet it is really important to try and stay as true to the protocol as possible. Making tweaks and substitutions early on is going to get you in trouble. I have been doing this for some time now and I can tell you that if you follow the diet, don't cheat, and don't make tweaks until you are well established in this diet, have made critical observations of how your body utilizes food, figured out your triggers, dealt with cravings, food pushers, and temptation you will lose weight. I always cringe a little when I read that those who are relatively new to the diet are already making modifications. Your body is still trying to work through ketosis, detox etc...and it needs some time but trust me... the results and the struggles are soooooo worth it--trust the program, it works (and I don't tend to trust much--so with that said, this has changed my life). Good luck to you -- please post more, ask questions, we are all here to help and watch you succeed. -- a big huge hug is coming your way!!!
CheekyWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #5  
Started IP May 1, 2011

Thank you so much CheekyWit - I needed to hear this! Im terrible at sticking to something so strict but I can see from these boards and from my results that it works.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Replacing a packet with meat is phase 2. I expect doing this occasionally wouldn't make a huge difference, but read dr. Tiens PDF and see why no to...
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #7  
Started IP May 1, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
Replacing a packet with meat is phase 2. I expect doing this occasionally wouldn't make a huge difference, but read dr. Tiens PDF and see why no to...
Is that on the website?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #8  

Smile

Thank you very much for all of your support!! It sure is nice to have the site to go to for help and support during such a difficult time!
lizzie0988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #9  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaF View Post
Is that on the website?
Yes...it's on the first post of every daily thread! HTH
MInewgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie0988 View Post
Hello!!

Thanks
Liz
I don't know the precise content of the IP packets but there is nothing wrong with eating real food and in my opinion you're far better off consuming your calories with whole foods than liquid. The only thing to be cautious of is if you're not eating very lean meat than you're getting a lot of extra calories through fat. Dispite what you may have heard or read calories dictate fat loss or gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurdnerd View Post
I'm not sure where IP gets their data, but everything I've read shows digestibility of meat and fish at around 94%. Egg protein is the highest at 97% and soy (which is a major component of many IP packets) at around 78%.

That being said, IP wants you to use packets instead of meat because they SELL packets... not meat.
You are absolutely correct.

If the IP people are suggesting that IP packets digest better or are somehow a better source of protein than lean meat it is a lie.

If the IP people are suggesting that your body needs more IP packets so it can "adjust" somehow before later consuming more meat it is another lie.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote