Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5'

Default Waffles?

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew if the crepes or pancake mix could work in a waffle maker? I was just at my favorite waffle place in town, and managed to resist temptation, but now the craving is KILLING me. Anyone know if either of the restricted packets would work in a waffle iron?
emily88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily88 View Post
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew if the crepes or pancake mix could work in a waffle maker? I was just at my favorite waffle place in town, and managed to resist temptation, but now the craving is KILLING me. Anyone know if either of the restricted packets would work in a waffle iron?
I've never tried that, actually, but I think I might now that you mentioned it!

One of the many things I've learned on this diet is to not be afraid to explore and be creative. So... try it out, and let us all know how it is!!

PS. I'd recommend the pancake mix, since it's thicker, but that's just what I would do.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

I'm curious about this. I think you'd need a bit more water than the packet suggests- and it would only work in a small waffle maker. Now I want to trade my big Belgian waffle maker for a small one to test it!
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #4  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
I'm curious about this. I think you'd need a bit more water than the packet suggests- and it would only work in a small waffle maker. Now I want to trade my big Belgian waffle maker for a small one to test it!
ooh. Let me know how it turns out!
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #5  

mmmm That sounds good! I picked up some plain crepes this week and I make it a bit thick so its more of a pancake...I think that would work out great in a waffle Iron...I think it would cook really fast.
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #6  

What do you guys eat with your pancakes?
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post
WF Maple, Blueberry or Strawberry syrup.
blkbmr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #8  

Quote:
I bought the IP maple syrup, I drizzle some on top, taste pretty darn good actually. I am also going to try cooking some rhubarb up with a some splenda to sweeten it and use that as a fruitlike syrup.
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5'

I ended up just doing regular pancakes, but will be trying this next weekend in my circus-shaped waffle maker (thus luckily a smaller size).

Quote:
For mine, I combined some of the WF maple & caramel syrup, delish!
emily88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #10  
Started IP March 29, 2011

S/C/G: 220/IP:177/**ticker**/140

Height: 5'5

Default mine didn't work

I tried to use the chocolate pancake mix and turn it into waffles a couple of weeks ago, it didn't work at all. The mix didn't have the right cinsistency to hold itself together when I opened the waffle iron. The waffle was fully cooked, but the batter stayed sticking to both sides of the waffle iron and tore right down the middle. It came out as an unusual consistency, VERY crispy...I had to pull it off the waffle iron in almost individual squares it was so fragile and crispy. I've wondered if maybe I should have added an egg?
cwphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #11  
Started IP March 29, 2011

S/C/G: 220/IP:177/**ticker**/140

Height: 5'5

Default success!

I tried to make a waffle again this weekend and it worked this time!
Here is what I did...

IP chocolate pancake mix
3 oz water
1 egg white
~1/8 tsp guar gum

It cooked faster than a typical waffle, but it worked! It came out thick and slightly crispy on the outside and best of all, it didn't stick to the waffle iron! I had it with DaVinici SF pancake syrup and ICBINB spray, it was heaven on a plate! I'm going to do it again with the IP orange pancake mix this week and eat it with WF apricot jam!
cwphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwphy View Post
I tried to make a waffle again this weekend and it worked this time!
Here is what I did...

IP chocolate pancake mix
3 oz water
1 egg white
~1/8 tsp guar gum

It cooked faster than a typical waffle, but it worked! It came out thick and slightly crispy on the outside and best of all, it didn't stick to the waffle iron! I had it with DaVinici SF pancake syrup and ICBINB spray, it was heaven on a plate! I'm going to do it again with the IP orange pancake mix this week and eat it with WF apricot jam!

That sounds delicious! I don't have guar gum (I'd never heard of it ), what does it do (make it stick together?) - any suggestions on alternatives that could be used?
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #13  

YUM! I am going to try it with the egg. Hopefully it will work w/o the guar gum because I don't have it or know what it is.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #14  
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 203/188/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
YUM! I am going to try it with the egg. Hopefully it will work w/o the guar gum because I don't have it or know what it is.
I found this on Google about it.

Guar gum can best be described as a natural food thickener, similar to locust bean gum, cornstarch or tapioca flour. Guar gum is said to have significantly more thickening ability than cornstarch, at a fraction of the cost. This has made guar gum a popular additive in products such as puddings and ice creams. Until recently, guar gum was also an ingredient in non-prescription diet pills designed to create a sense of fullness.

The use of guar gum as an ingredient in non-prescription diet aids was officially banned in the early 1990s by the FDA. The guar gum would bind with liquids in the stomach and swell, causing a feeling of satisfying fullness. However, this mass of swollen guar gum would also cause dangerous intestinal and duodenal blockages. Guar gum was declared unsafe and ineffective for use as a non-prescription diet aid, although it is still used in small amounts as a food thickener and binder.
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post

Will you please post how this works for you? I'm in the same spot
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote