Old 04-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #1  
in need of help!

Default I am mad!

I am mad at myself...been on IP for 1 week and tonitie, witouht thinking, out if stupid habit, I ate a chicken nugget!!! AND a mouthful of spaghetti. I was cleaning off the kids plates and juste ate it! Without thinking!
Am I in big trouble???
gigi1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #2  
in need of help!

ha! ha! I am so mad that I cannot write correctly...sorry for the mistakes!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/175/140

Height: 4'11"

don't be too hard on yourself, it was probably just out of habit you may have just set yourself back a bit but tomorrow is another day. Hang in there!
puddleduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'2

So frustrating!
Its hard I was making Peanut butter toast for my son and almost licked my finger then later making something for my daughter and same thing.
Hang in there!!
Aacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #5  
IP START: March 20th 2011

Height: 5'5''

I find that I am always tempted by my daughters leftovers. We used to share a bowl of popcorn ever once in awhile. She wanted some today so I air popped her a bowl, and she looked really confused as to why mommy wasn't sharing any. She came with the bowl to sit on my lap, then shoved (yes, shoved) some in my mouth and said "yummy mommy you like?" (shes only 18 months, so not able to understand my diet) I said "thank you" and spit it out without her seeing (so not to hurt her feelings)

I have also almost licked the peanut butter off the knife, I have resorted to smelling her Kraft dinner (figured if I could smell it, I could almost taste it)

Hang in there, tomorrow is another day. It probably did set you back some, but this is not a race. You will now learn from this and be more conscious of it next time.

It sure is hard to do this diet when you have to cook for your kids.
Shrinking Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 179/133.6/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1023 View Post
I am mad at myself...been on IP for 1 week and tonitie, witouht thinking, out if stupid habit, I ate a chicken nugget!!! AND a mouthful of spaghetti. I was cleaning off the kids plates and juste ate it! Without thinking!
Am I in big trouble???
I could be wrong, but it probably wasn't enough to do any damage. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Besides, tomorrow is a new day!
blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #7  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

hi Gigi,
in the spirit of full disclosure, let me say I have never had small children. My only daughter came into my life when she was 12 years old, so I have not ever had all the difficulties and pressures of raising children. I applaud you and the others on this board who have taken on the challenge of IP while raising kids.

That said, I'd just like to raise a question you (and others here) may want to ponder...why would you want to be feeding your kids something that you would have to be so worried about while on IP? Are you setting them up to be carb-addicted, overweight or diabetic later in life? I'm not sure what is in a chicken nugget, but it must be not-really-chicken? for other folks who have their kids eating popcorn, that is a great snack choice (as a "once in awhile treat") and there are lots of other high fiber/whole grain or veggie options like that which I have learned that kids can actually really enjoy.

I am always worried when I hear people on here who are regularly feeding their families foods that they simply cannot eat and/or needing to prepare totally different meals for themselves while on IP...Not at all trying to pass judgement and I hope it does not sound that way....I am trying to say that I hope you are able to use your time on IP to examine all your eating practices (and those of your family) and see what long term choices you might make differently for long term health...I just think in terms of long term success most of us need to make fundamental changes to what we eat, which means not just, "I'll eat this way until I lose the weight" but more like, "how am I going to eat and cook for the rest of my life to be sure I keep this weight off?". We will all always have cheat days (thank heavens!) but I urge you to think about how you and your family can eat "well" for the other 6 days a week for the rest of your lives, so you and they will be healthy and happy for as long as you live.

Last edited by Rocky Monarch; 04-13-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/235.4/Unoffical 222.7/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
hi Gigi,
in the spirit of full disclosure, let me say I have never had small children. My only daughter came into my life when she was 12 years old, so I have not ever had all the difficulties and pressures of raising children. I applaud you and the others on this board who have taken on the challenge of IP while raising kids.

That said, I'd just like to raise a question you (and others here) may want to ponder...why would you want to be feeding your kids something that you would have to be so worried about while on IP? Are you setting them up to be carb-addicted, overweight or diabetic later in life? I'm not sure what is in a chicken nugget, but it must be not-really-chicken? for other folks who have their kids eating popcorn, that is a great snack choice (as a "once in awhile treat") and there are lots of other high fiber/whole grain or veggie options like that which I have learned that kids can actually really enjoy.

I am always worried when I hear people on here who are regularly feeding their families foods that they simply cannot eat and/or needing to prepare totally different meals for themselves while on IP...Not at all trying to pass judgement and I hope it does not sound that way....I am trying to say that I hope you are able to use your time on IP to examine all your eating practices (and those of your family) and see what long term choices you might make differently for long term health...I just think in terms of long term success most of us need to make fundamental changes to what we eat, which means not just, "I'll eat this way until I lose the weight" but more like, "how am I going to eat and cook for the rest of my life to be sure I keep this weight off?". We will all always have cheat days (thank heavens!) but I urge you to think about how you and your family can eat "well" for the other 6 days a week for the rest of your lives, so you and they will be healthy and happy for as long as you live.

Very thought provoking. Thank you!
I've cooked the same thing for my husband as I ate when I have been done, just more for him except 1 night when he requested a special dish (chicken strips breaded with crushed cheese nips), but he ate the veggies I made. We stopped at whole foods last night and I got myself a halibut steak and he got a lobster tail which I am cooking tonight (need to find how to cook lobster tail)

We don't have kids yet, but my parents never made anything special for anyone--it was eat what I made or go hungry. I got over being picky quickly. My little brother, not so much. I plan to do the same to my kids-although a bit healthier since dad had to cook with Moms dietary restrictions in mind (nothing spciy, with garlic, onions, etc) so we had a lot of heavy food.
gaya2081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I also have thoughts like this about my kids, but they are still growing and active and can definitely handle more carbs than an adult.

Plus, they are extremely picky. I fed them everything until they turned around 4 and then wow! Full change where one only likes hot dogs and the other kraft dinner!

I try to get in as much real food as I can, but I am definitely not making anyone sit at the table until they are done! There are enough other hills to die on-tooth brushing, bed time, clothes choices, etc!

My sister was like this as a kid and in her 20's became a vegan! Sigh
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I have good news for you: today is a brand new day!

Get back up, dust yourself off and get back on that horse better and stronger than you were before!

You can do this!
Susie_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #11  
in need of help!

I would just like to say that the chicken nuggets were home-made with whole wheat bread crumbs. The spaghetti was, well, spaghetti.
There is nothing wrong with carbs! We need carbs!!!
However, my two young children did not just have 2 babies, are way more active than me, sleep 12 hour nights and can handle carbs once in awhile.
That being said...what am I supposed to give them: a protein shake and some raw brocoli??? They are kids!
I ate spaghetti before having kids, I ate carrots, I even had a hamburger too...and was NEVER overweight. But age, pregnancies, life happens and weight is gained...

Thanks to everybody for their answers!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #12  
09/15/10

S/C/G: 246.8/161.4/156

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
hi Gigi,

I have to agree with you, I have children and while I do make them different food is usually because I prepare all my meat a head of time and makes 5-7 oz servings for convenince, however, most ofthe time the kids end up eating the same veggies and salad as I do, of course they have some carbs, but they also need them. Also do to the fact that I go shopping If I can't eat it for a snack I usually don't purchases it, that way I am not tempted.

Gigi, most of us that have kids have experinced the licking of the finger I know that I did, it was a peanutbutter and Jam sandwich. It does get better with time, and the fact that you realized what was happening will allow you in the future to correct that habit. Good Luck.
ginBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

gigi, I think there was a period my son lived off of kraft dinner and pasta. When I was younger in collage with no money you live off of what you can afford. Thats a fact of life. Wasnt overweight then either, but as I grew up I wanted more goodies, less exercise, thats what did me in. I think young children need more carbs then us, they never stop.

Its rare you see a todler overweight. My son ate at Mcdonalds, chips, candies, and now he plays juinor hockey, no problem with weight. I think that as we age we need to adjust to what our body needs.

Thinking with our taste buds, is way to easy and well..............here we are on IP lol... now I am thinking about Kraft dinner, better make my lunch!

Last edited by locks; 04-13-2011 at 11:37 AM.
locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #14  
IP START: March 20th 2011

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
hi Gigi,

As you said, you have not had to raise young children. Just because I wrote that I have fed my child some popcorn (which is air popped with no salt or butter) and some kraft dinner does not mean this is what she lives off of.
I also feed her healthy foods, what I eat for dinner, she eats. This topic was about temptation, therefore my personal response would have something to do with my own temptations, which happen to be the foods my child eats.

Why should I deprive her of foods she likes once in awhile, just because I am on a diet. Again, with you not having raised young children, you might not know how irritating and stressful it can be when your child refuses to eat. My daughter likes fruit, and veggies, but some days she will refuse to eat anything so I give her something yummy like pasta, or KD in hopes she will eat.

Again, my little girl is a VERY active toddler is won't sit still (unless were reading before bed) she is go go go, and I have no issues feeding her things like air popped pop corn as a snack, you said that some veggies are better for her? well yeah, but she is a kid!
back to your original question of... "why would you want to be feeding your kids something that you would have to be so worried about while on IP? " This is kind of like telling a healthy wife that she shouldn't be allowed to eat a slice of her birthday cake because her husband has diabetes.
Shrinking Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1023 View Post
Am I in big trouble???
It takes 100 times of doing the same thing to become a habit, we can't change over night. we just keep on trying, don't give up just remember all the times you didnt eat the chicken nuggett or spagheti
justbecause is offline   Reply With Quote