Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201.8/180.8/140

Height: 5'6

Default Hypothyroid and IP

Hi, I'm hypothyroid. I did a search to see what came up on IP but couldn't find anything. So I thought I'd start a thread for those of us on IP who have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed about 9 years ago and am taking Levothyrosine. I would like to hear from those of you who have thyroid problems and have had success on IP. Or those doing the program now.

I have read and heard recently it is more effective to take your medicine before you go to bed than first thing in the morning, like the doctors tell you. So I have started doing that and I have moved up the time I take my other supplements because they recommend at least 4 hours of no calcium supplements before or after taking your thyroid medicine. I've also heard you are supposed to stay away from soy and soy products, but, I'd like to see if anyone still uses them with a thyroid condition and what the effects have been. Thanks so much. I really appreciate all the support on this forum.
GettingItOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/257/150 HW350

Height: 7/15/15. Restart. Reached 1st goal 10/14/15

I have hypothroid and having been taking medication for 20 years. I began this journey on Jan 20th and have lost 40 lbs so far. I did not adjust anything. I continued to take my med in the morning and then had my IP for breakfast. I use all the IP products. I dont wait any length of time between eating and taking the med. I had my blood work done a few weeks ago and no problems... I will be having my blood work done in about 3 months again because of the improvements in my blood work concerning my cholesterol, sugar, and high blood pressure. But that is just me and my results.
Slimbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbound View Post
I have hypothroid and having been taking medication for 20 years. I began this journey on Jan 20th and have lost 40 lbs so far. I did not adjust anything. I continued to take my med in the morning and then had my IP for breakfast. I use all the IP products. I dont wait any length of time between eating and taking the med. I had my blood work done a few weeks ago and no problems... I will be having my blood work done in about 3 months again because of the improvements in my blood work concerning my cholesterol, sugar, and high blood pressure. But that is just me and my results.
Thanks so much Slimbound for sharing your story with me. That is so encouraging! Congrats on a job well done! I can't wait to get my blood work done again too! It will be a while though.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/188/125

Height: 5'0"

I was Dx with Hypo 20 years ago. I've posted a few times my history - but in short...i was taken off my meds 10 years ago which caused a severe hormonal imbalance over the years. I just got back on meds about 2 yrs ago and started IP in Jan. NOTHING has worked except this diet.

I did switch and take my Synthroid at night. I also take Cytomel 2x/day and I'm still struggling to find the 'right' time. I don't eat raw broccoli. But I don't take any special precaution regarding soy. Most IP products have soy in them - and still this is the only diet that has ever worked.

I loose slow - but that's ok.

Feel free to ask any questions and good luck!
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickmouse View Post
I was Dx with Hypo 20 years ago. I've posted a few times my history - but in short...i was taken off my meds 10 years ago which caused a severe hormonal imbalance over the years. I just got back on meds about 2 yrs ago and started IP in Jan. NOTHING has worked except this diet.

I did switch and take my Synthroid at night. I also take Cytomel 2x/day and I'm still struggling to find the 'right' time. I don't eat raw broccoli. But I don't take any special precaution regarding soy. Most IP products have soy in them - and still this is the only diet that has ever worked.

Feel free to ask any questions and good luck!
Thanks for sharing your story slickmouse. Do you wait the 4 hours after taking your supplements before taking your pill at night?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/??/150

About 10 yrs ago, I used to work all day, then come home and nap. I could not make it through the day without a nap. My kids will remember Mommie sleeping on the sofa. It never occured to me that something was medically wrong with me. In my early 40's, my doctor decided it was time for routine blood work and my thyroid was low. He put me on synthroid and the naps stopped. I never nap now. I take .112 a day.

If I start taking it at night will it affect my sleep?
mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I was diagnosed Hypothyroid about 17 years ago. I have just compoleted my 2nd week of IP and, so far, I feel that it is going very well. I lost 5 lbs my first week and my second WI is supposed to be tomorrow but I don't think that I will be able to make it. I am pretty sure that I've lost 4 or 5 lbs this week.

I take Synthroid (I think it is .100 - the tiny yellow pills) and I take them first thing in the morning. I was advised to wait 2 hours before taking supplements or IP packets, so I do.

I am lactose intolerant, so I have been using soy products for quite a while (but not in large quantities). I have not noticed any issue with my thyroid and the soy products. My MD has never warned me against soy products either.

I think IP is suiting me very well. I am feeling very good. I am seeing a big reduction in: mood swings, depression, anxiety, irritability. My skin is clearer and my husband says that my complexion is more "rosey". I am wondering if my anemia is getting better. I have to have my blood pressure checked. It was a little high at my last appointment (before starting IP). Since starting IP, I have also noticed that I have more energy in the evening. I seem to be less "worn out".

Last edited by Susie_Bee; 03-27-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Susie_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
About 10 yrs ago, I used to work all day, then come home and nap. I could not make it through the day without a nap. My kids will remember Mommie sleeping on the sofa. It never occured to me that something was medically wrong with me. In my early 40's, my doctor decided it was time for routine blood work and my thyroid was low. He put me on synthroid and the naps stopped. I never nap now. I take .112 a day.

If I start taking it at night will it affect my sleep?
It hasn't affected mine at all. I think I've been sleeping better. I would probably check with your doctor first before switching. The latest studies have shown though that taking it at night has better results.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidd.../a/bedtime.htm

Last edited by GettingItOff; 03-27-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieB View Post
I was diagnosed Hypothyroid about 17 years ago. I have just compoleted my 2nd week of IP and, so far, I feel that it is going very well. I lost 5 lbs my first week and my second WI is supposed to be tomorrow but I don't think that I will be able to make it. I am pretty sure that I've lost 4 or 5 lbs this week.

I take Synthroid (I think it is .100 - the tiny yellow pills) and I take them first thing in the morning. I was advised to wait 2 hours before taking supplements or IP packets, so I do.

I am lactose intolerant, so I have been using soy products for quite a while (but not in large quantities). I have not noticed any issue with my thyroid and the soy products. My MD has never warned me against soy products either.

I think IP is suiting me very well. I am feeling very good. I am seeing a big reduction in: mood swings, depression, anxiety, irritability. My skin is clearer and my husband says that my complexion is more "rosey". I am wondering if my anemia is getting better. I have to have my blood pressure checked. It was a little high at my last appointment (before starting IP). Since starting IP, I have also noticed that I have more energy in the evening. I seem to be less "worn out".
I haven't seen a difference in my energy level yet, but I'd sure love to have more! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingItOff View Post
It hasn't affected mine at all. I think I've been sleeping better. I would probably check with your doctor first before switching. The latest studies have shown though that taking it at night has better results.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidd.../a/bedtime.htm
I switched to night at the suggestion of another IPer about a month ago and I noticed a difference almost right away. AND, when I had my TSH level checked last week it was .23 down from almost 2.0+. Big difference. Taking it at night also distances the synthyroid from the calcium for hours longer.

Edit: Should have said I take synthyroid at 10:00 although I don't go to bed then. It has not affected sleep. And I don't take Mag/cal after midafternoon.

Last edited by Linden; 03-28-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/182/150

Height: 5'7"

I am hypothyroid too, I was told to wait only an hour before eating and taking vitamins. After a couple weeks on IP I was still more tired than normal, so I started waiting a little longer to take my vitamins, and it seemed to help some (or maybe it was just me adjusting to the diet). I have read alot of people taking their thyroid meds at night, I think I will try it for a few weeks. I have a sinus infection/bronchitis right now and am on a antibiotic in which calcium and magnesium can interfere with, so timing on taking all these vitamins has been trying.

Like some of you have mentioned, this is the only diet I have gotten good results from. I think my losses are slower than others and that may be a result of me being hypothyroid. I hope I will be able to keep it off once I am done.
brandam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

I'm doing this diet through my doctor's office, and they know that I have hypothyroidism. They didn't seem worried about the supplements or the soy products. The whole doctor's staff went on this diet, and one of them has hypothyroidism and she's lost almost 50 pounds in 3 months.

I decided, just to be on the safe side, is I take half the daily supplements at lunch time (which gives more than enough time after taking my thyroid medicine first thing in the morning), and then I take the other half with my IP snack around 8 at night.

I'm new to IP - this is my 9th day (yay!) - and things are going well for me so far (down 6 pounds at my first WI ). I'll email my coach, who is the doctor's wife, and see if she can find out anything else. I'll post her response if so.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 193/165/140

Height: 5'1"

Unhappy

[QUOTE=slickmouse;3778068]I was Dx with Hypo 20 years ago. I've posted a few times my history - but in short...i was taken off my meds 10 years ago which caused a severe hormonal imbalance over the years. I just got back on meds about 2 yrs ago and started IP in Jan. NOTHING has worked except this diet.

Feel free to ask any questions and good luck![/QUOTE

Hi, quick question! Thyroid and broccoli--what's the connection?? forgive me for being ignorant of this fact--I too have low thyroid
calival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 249/162/154

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickmouse View Post

!
Hi

would you please tell me if we are not supposed to eat raw broccoli if we have hypotiroidism?

Thanks
Siki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #15  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siki View Post
Hi

would you please tell me if we are not supposed to eat raw broccoli if we have hypotiroidism?

Thanks
You're not supposed to eat any goitrogenic foods raw. If you don't know Mary Shomon's website, this will be very helpful: http://thyroid.about.com/
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote