Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #1  
Former Fat Guy

S/C/G: 242/185/165

Default Phase 4 Belly pain

Hi all. So I started phase 4 on Friday or so. Sunday (after a typical phase 3-type breakfast) I began having pretty bad abdominal pain after each meal (always breakfast and dinner, sometime lunch). I did the full 2 weeks of phase three with no problem. In Phase 1 and 2 I had no problems. Anyone else experience the same thing? I'm not prone to stomach troubles, just seeing anyone else has had problems with jumping off the wagon.
Newfie Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

I am not an expert by any means but you have re-introduced food to your diet that you have not eaten in while. Sounds like a food reaction. To find out what you are allergic to you will have to do an elimination diet (where you introduce foods one at a time on a weekly basis) or have testing done by an allergist.
cmsgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Dad View Post
Hi all. So I started phase 4 on Friday or so. Sunday (after a typical phase 3-type breakfast) I began having pretty bad abdominal pain after each meal (always breakfast and dinner, sometime lunch). I did the full 2 weeks of phase three with no problem. In Phase 1 and 2 I had no problems. Anyone else experience the same thing? I'm not prone to stomach troubles, just seeing anyone else has had problems with jumping off the wagon.
Can you share what you ate at those meals both days? Maybe we can help you spot something or offer a suggestion.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #4  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Hi Newfiedad,
welcome to phase 4! please join us in Life after phase 1, it's been a bit lonely there!
I agree this sounds like a food allergy reaction. Are you still journaling? Wheat (and gluten) is a pretty typical problem food. Maybe you can try the "big breakfast" with some corn tortillas instead of toast? or some oatmeal? I would suggest something gluten free.

congrats on making it to phase 4!
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #5  
Former Fat Guy

S/C/G: 242/185/165

Thanks for the insights! On the first and most offensive day I had shredded wheat with yogurt and berries; because I felt so bad, I didn't really each much else the rest of the day;

Day 2:
Breakfast: Kashi cereal (high fiber), greek yogurt and fruit (horrible symptoms, I blamed the fiber (though I have eaten this before without problem)
Lunch: deli turkey and salad -- no symptoms;
Dinner: 5oz hamburger (on a bun); salad and veggies -- horrible symptoms

The light bulb is starting to come on!

Day 3:
Breakfast: Toast (whole wheat but not high fiber), cheese, and berries - ++ symptoms
Lunch: 1/2 turkey sandwich and some soups (whole wheat bread) - no symptoms
Dinner: 5oz meatloaf (made with minimal oats); veg -- symptoms not as bad but did come on later than usual;

Today:

Toast (some people never learn); greek yogurt and berries -- bad symptoms all morning -- resolved by lunch time;

I like the gluten idea -- I'm going to cut that our for now and see if it helps. I'm a little disheartened by all of this because I'm ready now to be a little more liberal with eating and this is cramping my style (literally); I was very excited for the hamburger the other day (the first in months) and it nearly killed me.
Newfie Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Thanks for the insights! On the first and most offensive day I had shredded wheat with yogurt and berries; because I felt so bad, I didn't really each much else the rest of the day;

Day 2:
Breakfast: Kashi cereal (high fiber), greek yogurt and fruit (horrible symptoms, I blamed the fiber (though I have eaten this before without problem)

Day 3:
Breakfast: Toast (whole wheat but not high fiber), cheese, and berries - ++ symptoms
Dinner: 5oz meatloaf (made with minimal oats); veg -- symptoms not as bad but did come on later than usual;

Today:

Toast (some people never learn); greek yogurt and berries -- bad symptoms all morning -- resolved by lunch time;

I like the gluten idea -- I'm going to cut that our for now and see if it helps. I'm a little disheartened by all of this because I'm ready now to be a little more liberal with eating and this is cramping my style (literally); I was very excited for the hamburger the other day (the first in months) and it nearly killed me.
I can definitely see a gluten or wheat possible intolerance or allergy. By chance did you use any mayonnaise or cheese on your burger? Did you use any egg, bread crumbs or milk in the meat loaf?

I am finding it interesting that at the one meal you had wheat bread and no symptoms you don't mention having dairy.

Could you have a compound allergy to wheat and lactose? It might explain why some meals are worse than others. I also asked about the mayonnaise because some people are allergic to real eggs. You would likely have used eggs in mayonnaise or in the meat loaf.

Are you taking any enzymes? Try that. It has been awhile since your body has been producing enzymes for all types of food. It may need some assistance. I like a brand called source naturals. They have a good essential enzymes blend. IP clinics offer their own too and I am sure there are many other good ones.

You can also try testing just one new thing at a meal. So, only wheat, no dairy or eggs, and mix it up. Then try dairy with wheat, eggs with wheat, eggs with dairy. See what your body responds to and stop using it.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #7  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

it does look like dairy may be a compound in the issue. If it is dairy, don't despair yet! It could be that you can build up your enzymes to be better able to support your digestion, and/or buy lactose free dairy if need be.

Maybe try eliminating both gluten and dairy for a couple meals, then try one, then the other. Be sure to look for "milk solids" or other hidden dairy in any pre-made foods.

let's see...big breakfast with neither gluten nor dairy...how about some version of
huevos rancheros: eggs, sausage, tortillas, black beans (no cheese or sour cream, of course! but the fat from the sausage will count)

oatmeal/fruit/bacon combo of some kind...

Carla and others: other ideas?
btw: .we could move this over to the life after phase one thread so it is not lost for future readers....
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #8  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Today:

I would say the culprit is the Kashi! That absolutely tears me up, so I stay far away. The effects of Kashi also last a couple of days. I would remove that and see what happens. That's what I had to do.
carlasherea is offline   Reply With Quote