Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #1  
Taking it day by day =))

Height: 5'6

Default Skin =((

I could just CRY!! I am enjoying the program && loving the weightloss, however the skin on my arms is starting to sag and my tummy... Any suggestions on what I can do to firm my arms and tummy?

Any input is appreciated ladies
AvaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #2  
ALM
Started IP 12/01/2010

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/175

Height: 5ft 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaLynn View Post
I could just CRY!! I am enjoying the program && loving the weightloss, however the skin on my arms is starting to sag and my tummy... Any suggestions on what I can do to firm my arms and tummy?

I'm interested in seeing responses for this one because this is something I definately worry about. Do you lift weights at all? Mabye a good toning program could help??
ALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #3  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

not sure how old you ladies are, but I am 52, and I have had a hard/wild life, so you can bet my skin is pretty slow to respond....

I started IP in April and lost 40+ pounds in about 4 months...by then I was feeling ok with my clothes on, but oy! things were a little scary otherwise!

I did not use the IP jello (hate the jello texture) and I have read so much about how drinking/eating collagen does not help so I pooh-poohed any idea of it helping and did not eat/drink those products...

By November 1st, I have to say that however it happens (what the heck do our bodies know that we do not???) I had less extra "skin" than before I started. My body is tighter now than when I was 35. And this all happened with no working out, no exercise, no nothing. WTF? (and btw: at 35 I was headed to 2 weeks in the Andes for mountain climbing, also spent a week in the yucutan at mayan ruins and a year later went to Costa Rica for white water rafting and several other crazy trips, so I was doing aerobics 4 times a week and serious weight training for most of my 30's to be able to do all that! oh, right, and then I married a guy who was 24 and practically ran him into the ground! )

so, on Thanksgiving weekend, I joined a club and have now begun to work out twice a week for the past 3 weeks. And I can already see a difference in my definition and further tightening of skin, etc.

all I can say:
--drink more water
--get to the healthy weight your body wants

and your body will take care of the rest.

depending on how much you have to lose, my doctor said it may take 6-12 months for your body to catch up, but it WILL (your body is not interested in supporting a bunch of extra cells, so it will absorb anything extraneous eventually).

Don't let this be an reason to let up on your resolve. honestly? I look better naked than I have in at least 15 years, and THAT is saying a lot!

Last edited by Rocky Monarch; 12-15-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaLynn View Post

Part of this answer is, your genetics play a role in how quickly and to what extent you regain elasticity of skin. Also, your skin can take up to 18 months to recover after losing weight. Many plastic surgeons won't do skin reductions until at least 6 to 12 months after you stop losing.

What can you do to help? Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated helps with skin quality and tightness.

“Your intake of food and fluids before, during, and after losing weight is a factor for your skin,” says Harry Pino, Ph.D., director of exercise physiology at the Obesity Consult Center of Tufts-New England Medical Center.

First, Pino advocates maintaining a lower fat diet and eating lean proteins to help minimize the extra skin, even after you’ve lost the weight. Second, hydration is crucial. That means drinking plenty of water [64 ounces or eight cups per day].

Eat foods high in vitamins A, E, C. Also use supplements in addition to your diet that supplies you with these vitamins. These vitamins help form collagen - the supporting fibers in the skin.

Zinc - Eat foods high in this or use a supplement such as ZMA. This vitamin helps form collagen - the supporting fibers in the skin.

There are many reasons we are encouraged to have our OMEGA OIL on this diet. One great reason is EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids), help make cell walls. Essential fatty acids can be found in many vegetables, vegetable oils and fish oils. If you don't regularly eat these try supplementing your diet with them.

Exfoliating skin will help improve circulation and balance of skin growth.

The loose skin will get tighter as your body fat gets lower. Over time the skin gradually tightens up, at least partially, after a one or two year period where the weight loss is maintained and exercise continued.

Tone and build muscle to create a tighter appearance of the skin. Read the exercise thread for many suggestions on exercise. You can also google or look on you tube for area specific exercise; some examples - arms (bicep, tricep), shoulders, back, abs, core, neck, face (yes, there are micromovement exercises to work those areas), butt (glutes), legs (hamstrings, quadriceps, knees, calves).

I was recently discussing loose skin with a friend, a lucky man whose lost 160 pounds in a year and has ZERO loose skin! He has learned that loose, saggy skin is saggy in many cases because it still has a layer of fat attached. In many cases, it isn't until a person's body fat gets to a proper level that the skin begins to restore its more tight appearance.

AND, talk to your coach. This is not an uncommon problem and there are medical grade collagen supplements available that really help, more even than the jello or pomegranate drink to aid in helping with improved skin quality.

A SIDE NOTE TO ROCKY:

I want to have your life!! You made it sound so exciting. THERE IS NO WAY from your pictures I would have guessed you are in your 50's. You look wonderful!!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 12-15-2010 at 01:23 AM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #5  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Carla,
first, thanks for such kind words!

great points all around (and all the exciting travel is all work related, oh, except the marriage part...but it only lasted a few years and now we are just very good friends...oh, right, and I just found out TODAY that my DH and I am about to meet my x's new wife who is 30! holy crap, good thing I look fabulous due to IP! anyhoo...)

I had some professional "headshots" taken last January and I am about to have some new ones done for work and I will then post them all, which may make my age more apparent!

but as you said.....water is so KEY!

so are supplements...I have been in phase 4 since September and I am still taking the IP supplement regimen--it makes both me and DH feel much better!

and exfoliating...in early May I bought a pumice stone. I thought, "if I am going to go through all this, I freaking well better have amazing skin when I am done!"

I started using it on the backs of my arms, then on my thighs, then on my ('ahem") buttocks and just about any place I could think of every time I took a shower. At first it was a bit rough, I was used to a loofa, but this was much more abrasive. But I used some body wash, etc, and in about 2-3 showers, it felt GREAT (maybe even AMAZING!!) to get my blood going.

After about 2 weeks, I could really see a difference in my skin! HUH! who knew?? and I do it at least twice a week now (and use a soft loofa on my face 2-3 times a week too)

So, I think there is definitely a relationship between stimulating your skin (through exfoliating, massage, accupressure, etc) and waking up your metabolism.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #6  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

The skin issue was a large factor in why I decided to phase off and slow up my weight loss a bit. I kind of wanted to give my body(and mind) time to catch up with my weight loss. Instead of losing an average of 3 pounds a week, I'm losing about 1 pound a week and that seems to be working well.

I am taking supplements from GNC for hair, skin and nails and trying to stay hydrated, but I admit is is much harder to drink large amounts of water when it's really cold outside.

My new doctor said she'd look into this for me as well and see if she could find any options so I'll let you know if she comes up with some.

I do think it will work itself out in the end and if it doesn't I may consider a surgical option for removal, but we'll see.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
The skin issue was a large factor in why I decided to phase off and slow up my weight loss a bit. I kind of wanted to give my body(and mind) time to catch up with my weight loss. Instead of losing an average of 3 pounds a week, I'm losing about 1 pound a week and that seems to be working well.

I am taking supplements from GNC for hair, skin and nails and trying to stay hydrated, but I admit is is much harder to drink large amounts of water when it's really cold outside.

My new doctor said she'd look into this for me as well and see if she could find any options so I'll let you know if she comes up with some.

I do think it will work itself out in the end and if it doesn't I may consider a surgical option for removal, but we'll see.
Sorry I missed the beginning of this thread. I was going to post something about my own skin today as my facial skin is becoming rough and blotchy and it looks as if I'm having some skin breakdown on my elbows. What's happening with yours? Thanks for any information you may have on this and for sharing your story with us.
sunnymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Sorry I missed the beginning of this thread. I was going to post something about my own skin today as my facial skin is becoming rough and blotchy and it looks as if I'm having some skin breakdown on my elbows. What's happening with yours? Thanks for any information you may have on this and for sharing your story with us.
I have had a little of the same. A good friend of mine is an esthetician so stopped by to see her. She says in my case I need more exfoliation and gave me some products to try and after only 3 days I notice a difference. Worth a try.
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #9  

For a bit I was getting blackheads and breakouts on my face which I've never had to deal with before. I used some oil (saw it in a post) and also honeymasks to help deal with it. It's gotten better, but I almost wonder if it was my body's way of adjusting?

This is a little off topic, but wondered if anyone knows from experience good ways to lessen stretch marks? I've tried various methods over the years with minor success. Now that I'm losing, kinda hoping to 'fix' that problem too.
100ButterflyKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #10  
Jess

S/C/G: 282.4/228.1/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ButterflyKisses View Post
This is a little off topic, but wondered if anyone knows from experience good ways to lessen stretch marks? I've tried various methods over the years with minor success. Now that I'm losing, kinda hoping to 'fix' that problem too.

Love to hear the answer to this one!
tbf410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #11  
Started IP 7/7/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
I have had a little of the same. A good friend of mine is an esthetician so stopped by to see her. She says in my case I need more exfoliation and gave me some products to try and after only 3 days I notice a difference. Worth a try.
What were the products called? My daughter is actually starting school in June to study esthetics and I can't help but thinking that it will a helpful thing to have in the family!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ButterflyKisses View Post
For a bit I was getting blackheads and breakouts on my face which I've never had to deal with before. I used some oil (saw it in a post) and also honeymasks to help deal with it. It's gotten better, but I almost wonder if it was my body's way of adjusting?

I have heard several things people have tried on the board. Some worked well for a few. BIO OIL is a product available at walmart, cvs, and walgreens in the USA or online. It had good support from the group last fall and spring. Many others were very happy with coconut oil. And, some used coconut butter creams. TRILASTIN is a product talked about on the Tyra Banks show that seemed to get good feedback.

You can also try this homemade recipe: Mix one ounce of carrier oil ( try avocado, sweet almond, jojoba, they are the best ) with seven drops of lavender and five drops of chamomile.

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/susan-e...-stretch-marks

Or you could evaluate some of the suggestions on this page:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2081141AAJRO0m
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Here is an interest article on loose skin. I'm doing the exfoliation and cocoa butter daily and I am starting to see a difference after 5 weeks. It does take time, but I believe it works.

http://www.fitnessthroughfasting.com...ight-loss.html
Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #14  
Started IP 7/7/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Sunny, I'm now at the 80 pounds lost mark and the skin on my belly and thighs is ummm... sagging. Add the sagging to the stretch marks I already had and it's not a pretty picture. I think I'm less likely to want to be in a swimsuit having lost the weight than I was beforehand because of how bad my legs look.

I'm not really having breakouts on my face or anything. The only other issue I have is with really dry skin, but I've had that problem since I moved to Iowa years ago and I don't think it has worsened.

I began taking the supplements from GNC because my nails were splitting and that was a new problem. The supplements have helped some on my nails and slowing up my weight loss has helped a bit with the skin. I think I work on exfoliating more and see if that makes any difference.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Default More on skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
Sunny, I'm now at the 80 pounds lost mark and the skin on my belly and thighs is ummm... sagging. Add the sagging to the stretch marks I already had and it's not a pretty picture. I think I'm less likely to want to be in a swimsuit having lost the weight than I was beforehand because of how bad my legs look.

I'm not really having breakouts on my face or anything. The only other issue I have is with really dry skin, but I've had that problem since I moved to Iowa years ago and I don't think it has worsened.

I began taking the supplements from GNC because my nails were splitting and that was a new problem. The supplements have helped some on my nails and slowing up my weight loss has helped a bit with the skin. I think I work on exfoliating more and see if that makes any difference.
Thanks Marion! I"m going to go to the health pharmacy and start taking liquid silica (biosil)which stimulates collagen formation (helps with nails, skin and hair too) and for medical grade fish oil. It came highly recommended from a friend of mine in the skin care industry and she looks amazing.
From what I'm reading on the posts our skin will start to reshape itself as time goes by. There are all kinds of laser http://www.vitalaserspa.com/triactivelaserdermology.htm and non surgical alternatives to surgery as options for skin tightening and so on. Not cheap, but maybe something to save up for in a year from now after your skin has had time to adjust. BTW...your weight loss is truly amazing and inspiring. Congratulations to you!!! Have a great rest of the day
sunnymae is offline   Reply With Quote