Old 10-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #1  
started IP Oct. 15, 2010

S/C/G: 286.5/168/??

Default PCOS anyone?

Does anyone else here have PCOS? Have you noticed changes to any symptoms (example: some with PCOS have excess hair) as you've lost weight? I'm hoping to beat this; I will be 30 next year already and still have not been able to get pregnant yet.
ShannaSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #2  
Ideal Protein 5/20/14

S/C/G: 204/195/130

Height: 5'4"

I have PCOS and I have noticed that some of my symptoms have gone away or have lessened. Unfortunately the hair is not one of them. I plan on getting laser hair removal soon.

I do think having PCOS makes weight loss very difficult but not on this plan! I have lost 47 lbs. I have tried every other plan out there and could not lose.
any weight.

I think the reason IP works for those with PCOS is because it gives your pancreas a rest which is a big factor in PCOS due to ineffective insulin regulation.

My blood sugar levels are within a normal range, my triglycerides are within a normal range and my cholesterol is the lowest it has ever been.

There have been many pregnancy success stories here after being on the IP program. Look for Jordanna's posts.

Last edited by Kristin135; 10-19-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Kristin135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #3  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I was first diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 20 years old. I've had 3 children and several miscarriages along the way, so it hasn't been easy. I suspect that now that I'm 44, I'm at rather a different place in my life for a good comparison of symptoms though I am not menopausal. I take a bio-identical progesterone which has been rather weird with the irregular cycles caused by IP, but it still seems to help other symptoms. As far as hair growth, that has definitely minimized. I even find that I don't need to shave my legs as frequently. I'm also not getting those lovely strays that show up on my chin or cheek.

I wish I had been able to do IP when I was younger because I think the way it works to help reset the pancreas would have been helpful with some years of insulin resistance.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/221/135

Height: 5'6"

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 and I have noticed that the symptoms have gotten worse when I gained weight. When I got pregnant with my 2nd I started getting skin tags so I really hope that it gets better with weight loss
tblassingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #5  
Jess

S/C/G: 282.4/228.1/165

I have PCOS. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I am hairloss as well. I have the skin tags and am getting more. No idea about getting pregnant as that isn't a place I'm at in my life right now. So far, I can't tell that this diet is making it better or worse.
tbf410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #6  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I didn't think about it, but the number of skin tags I have has decreased as well. I only seem to have one now.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/153/138

Height: 5'3"

I was also diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 18 (Ugggh 30 years ago). I had two skin tags that are now gone! I still pluck chin hairs! But, this is the ONLY diet that has helped me lose weight! Others alway would work at first and then just stop. Every time I would start a diet again, it wouldn't work! IP works and doesn't quit!

My TOM's have been unpredictable. First month was very light. Second was terrible. Had to take large doses of Ibuprofen for the pain in both ovaries. Totally skipped the third! What will next month bring?
JollyCrewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 236/221/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannaSchueller View Post
Does anyone else here have PCOS? Have you noticed changes to any symptoms (example: some with PCOS have excess hair) as you've lost weight? I'm hoping to beat this; I will be 30 next year already and still have not been able to get pregnant yet.
Are you on Metformin? My gyn put me on Metformin for the 2nd time and I ended up getting pregnant within a couple of months. After I had my son my new gyn(we are military so we always have new docs) told me that since I was not wanting to have another baby and was not IR that I did not need to be on it.
tblassingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #9  
started IP Oct. 15, 2010

S/C/G: 286.5/168/??

I was on Metformin and Yasmin before, but am not taking either. I'm not actively trying to get pregnant, just not preventing. I really need to lose weight first.

Last edited by ShannaSchueller; 10-20-2010 at 11:19 PM.
ShannaSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #10  

Height: 5.8

Hi there

I have PCOS and have had amazing sucess on IP, I lost over 60 pounds in a little over 3 motnhs and am now back on it to finish up my weight loss.
we just got married and are trying to concieve. We are going to try for 4 months and if we have no luck we will go back to our gyn and ask about chlomeid. I now have regular periods because of the weight loss so for anyone who has PCOS, belive in the program, it works
sassykimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #11  

I, too have PCOS. You should be taking the metformin even while on this diet. It will add to your weight loss and regulate your menstrual cycle. Many women get pregnant while on metformin. The usual dose is 1000 mg twice daily, but you may have to work up to that. The most common side effect (I am certain you remember) is diarrhea. Usually this is not associated with stomach cramps, but you will know where bathrooms are at all of the places you frequent. This side effect will pass after about 2-3 weeks. I also had some facial hair growth and acne. I was started on aldactone and these symptoms subsided; but, aldactone is not OK if you are trying to get pregnant. On a side note, I started IP yesterday and all I have done is think about FOOD! The chicken soup was gross!!!! Good luck. Please see your gyn or endocrinology about your PCOS.
LeDouxRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #12  

Sassykimann, congratulations on you recent vows!
Just a few suggestions about taking clomid. My experience on clomid was a painful process and I just urge you to keep that in mind. I suggest a couple of days of rest if you experience abdominal pain (a normal side effect of the medication).
Also, noting that a regular cycle does not conclude ovulation, have you considered or are you taking Metformin? LeDouxRN provides a sound suggestion. Metformin is known to stimulate ovulation in women, particularly if they are achieving a regular menstrual cycle. Minus the side effects that last approx. 1-2 weeks, it's a safe drug to begin with in the conceiving process.
dreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/156/140

Height: 5'0"

I too have PCOS. I have had definite success on IP. I successfully had two children with a little help from the OB. I don't really know how IP will affect it because I no longer have menstrual cycles. I had a uterine ablation since I am done having children. Many people have success getting pregnant with PCOS after losing weight. I at one time was on Metformin also and Clomid to get pregnant. Clomid worked for me!! I have the dreaded hair problem too. It grows in places I don't want and falls off my head!! LOL Good Luck and much success in your quest!!
lobolexus is offline   Reply With Quote