Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #16  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

The ideal protein protocol Phase 1 sheet we all receive when we begin the program says in the breakfast box:

" optional coffee or tea with 1oz skim milk"

Coffee is permitted. Anything over the first cup needs to be followed (sometime in the day) with an equal amount of added water.

The program suggests the use of skim milk but limits it to 1oz per day.

I have been told you can use cream but it does have more fat although no carbs. I was told not to use half and half. In either case, cream or half & half aren't written on my protocol sheet.

It is hard to say if the coffee could slow some people down. It might but, you would really need to test it on a personal basis. If you want to see how it effects you, eliminate it a week or significantly reduce it. It does have an impact on adrenals, thyroid, and other parts of the body that can interact with metabolism so, there could be a unique few people that are benefited by having less or not using caffeine.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 10-01-2010 at 01:33 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #17  
just Rhonda please!

S/C/G: 276/274/145

Height: 5'6" Started IP Diet 7/25/11

We can have iced tea with no cream in it, correct?
RhondaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #18  
here I am again :(

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Fat free half and half has carbs, lots of carbs. Did your coach really suggest this? Have you considered another coach?
Skim milk has way more carbs and calories than fat free half and half. read the nutrition labels on both and compare I just did.
biggirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #19  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggirl86 View Post
Skim milk has way more carbs and calories than fat free half and half. read the nutrition labels on both and compare I just did.
I'm glad you found half and half that has fewer carbs and, I hope, calories than skimmed milk. According to the USDA, this is how they compare:

SM H&H
calories 10 17
protein .95 .73
fat .05 .39
carbs 1.36 2.52

I compare 28 grams of each; a hair less than an ounce. Essentially H%H has almost twice as many carbs.
I hope the format holds up. Here's the source for skimmed milk: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl

Last edited by Linden; 10-10-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 164/152/125

Height: 5'2

I love to buy flavored coffee (vanilla, hazelnut or caramel) and instead of water, I use the coffee (about 8 oz or so) to mix with my chocolate IP shake powder. I add ice and put it in the blender. YUM. I drink it every morning.
If I crave a chocolate/coffee frozen drink later in the day, I use the IP chocolate pudding powder instead, it has less carbs than the shake. Very filling too. I'd add about 10 oz of coffee instead of 8 oz.
Also I have used the Vanilla IP Boxed Protein Shake as creamer in my coffee. It's so good. You don't even have to add Splenda or Stevia since the shake already is sweetened.
Also I tried to do my coffee frozen drink with a pack of vanilla (instead of chocolate) IP pudding mix (blended cold with ice) and I didn't like it at all. I thought I could add some vanilla extract and cinnamon, but I didn't enjoy it.
I love being able to still have my coffee on IP. You just have to become a bit creative in different ways to enjoy it. I LOVE lattes, but I can't have the milk that goes along with it, so I've just learned to enjoy my coffee in other ways.
Does anyone else have any ideas???
navy mom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #21  
here I am again :(

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I'm glad you found half and half that has fewer carbs and, I hope, calories than skimmed milk. According to the USDA, this is how they compare:

SM H&H
calories 10 17
protein .95 .73
fat .05 .39
carbs 1.36 2.52

I compare 28 grams of each; a hair less than an ounce. Essentially H%H has almost twice as many carbs.
I hope the format holds up. Here's the source for skimmed milk: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl

Hi Linden I am glad you replied back to my comment. It seems interesting even though is a little confusing, this is what I have:

SM fat free H&H

calories : 80 calories: 20
fat : 0 fat:0
carbs : 13 carbs:3
sugars : 12g sugars:2g

for some reason that is what I have thanx.
biggirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #22  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I've lost at a fairly fast rate, and have a double (or triple) espresso each day, as well as a venti iced unsweetened black tea.
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #23  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Hi Linden I am glad you replied back to my comment. It seems interesting even though is a little confusing, this is what I have:

SM fat free H&H

I'm not disputing your figures and I don't know what brands you're quoting, but I wonder if you are comparing cups to cups? 1C of skimmed milk is 80 calories and by USDA figures one ounce plus of H&H is 20 calories. Could that account for the discrepancy? I'll have to admit, you've stumped me.

Last edited by Linden; 10-11-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #24  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

SM fat free H&H

That is one cup of skim milk compared to a smaller amount of fat-free HH...can not remember serving but is significantly smaller
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajen88 View Post
How your body responds to coffee will depend on the individual. Coffee can be an issue for some people and not for others depending upon physiologic status (ie: degree of insulin resistance/sensitivity).
I drink 1-2 cups of coffee everyday. I add flavoured sweetner and half & half (or milk). My weight loss has not stalled. My morning coffee makes me very happy. If my weight loss would go faster without it, I still would not give it up. It keeps me sane, which allows me to stick to the plan for the long haul.
Great topic! Can someone explain to me how one's degree of insulin resistance/sensitivity and coffee/caffeine would interact to interfere with weight loss? Thanks!
Traveling Stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #26  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I drink about 3 cups of coffee a day. I have found my favorite way to "cream" it is with a RTD vanilla drink. YUMMY! I add a bit of vanilla creme stevia drops and it tastes DEEE-licious!

It has not slowed me down at all AS LONG as I drink lots of water. For me, the dehydration from too much coffee and not enough water is the biggest impact.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #27  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
That is one cup of skim milk compared to a smaller amount of fat-free HH...can not remember serving but is significantly smaller
I guess that explains it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/164/144

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Stitcher View Post
Great topic! Can someone explain to me how one's degree of insulin resistance/sensitivity and coffee/caffeine would interact to interfere with weight loss? Thanks!
For some people, especially those who have insulin resistance, caffeine may cause the body to have an insulin surge. Insulin encourages the body to store fat. Caffeine can also induce cravings and encourage the release of cortisol (stess hormones....think fat storage again). But every person is different. Some people have no issues with caffeine whereas for others caffeine will stall weight loss.
mommajen88 is offline   Reply With Quote