Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/140/130

Height: 5'3"

Default 1st week on IP and had to travel - very hard

I just started IP on Monday and Tuesday evening I had to fly to Montreal for business for the night and all day today. I took my packets with me and was able to continue on for the most part but there were a few times I'm not sure I did the right thing. Last night I was able to have steak and avoid the fries (very tough for me by having green beans and mushrooms but never thought to ask what they were sauteed or grilled in. Oh and the house salad ended up to be caesar like so i'm sure the dressing was bad. We were taken to an Asian restaurant for lunch today and again I avoided the rice and had grilled pork and shrimp with lettuce but have no idea how it was prepared. Tonight I had a salmon on spinach salad with onions and mushrooms and had very little dressing. I didn't follow the protocol exactly but I did manage to avoid all obvious carbs (starch) and had 3 protein packs as well. I have to travel again next week and do this all over again!
I am guessing I won't get into ketosis with the possible "contamination" of carbs in the dressings or preparation of the meat/veggies but how harmful are these hidden carbs at this point?

Karen
kea66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/166/140 started: 5/25

Height: 5'5"

Karen ,
Can you take some veggies with you on your trip? pick veggies that don't need to be cooked like celery, cucumber, mushrooms. Wash them ahead of your trip, and take washed romaine lettuce with you in plastic zip lock bags. At the times you are away from your house/kitchen, take the zip lock bag filled with lettuce and your veggie, get a filled water bottle (16 oz size) and when you are ready to eat your meal, add the IP pack to the water bottle and shake the **** out of it. then you are ready for your meal without cheating. You can recycle the water bottle (no need to wash the IP shaker) and recycle the zip lock bag and you are done.

i do this when i go on trips or know that I will be away from a kitchen for a while and seems to work for me. good luck!

To be honest, if you don;t follow the protocol to the T, then I think you are wasting your moolah! and this protocol is quite expensive.
dietfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #3  

Thanks Dina, I did take my shaker with me and was able to wash it out and use it in various places (hotel, the office I was in) the problem was finding or requesting to be taken to a restaurant that would serve what I needed. I'll try harder next week and we'll see what WI# 1 shows this week to know how much it affected things.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #4  
Sandra

S/C/G: 210/168/145

Height: 5'7"

traveling can be difficult-especially when restaurants are involved! I also travel quite a bit and try not to stress about it. I take stevia, tea bags and lemon flavor packs along for drinks. I keep a protein bar in my purse as well -just in case I get really hungry or miss a meal. I order salads with dressing on the side and use only a tsp of it on the salad. Sometimes I get a chicken breast,grilled or fish, broiled. I usually ask for steamed or sautéed veggies and a double order of them instead of the potatoes. I try not to stress about it and so far I am still losing weight consistently.

Last edited by CheeseCake4me; 08-11-2010 at 11:06 PM.
CheeseCake4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #5  

Thanks Sandra, that makes me feel better. I think I still made pretty good choices and my coach seemed pleased too
Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/185/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi Karen, just curious what city you live in as I have not seen many people on here from Toronto. I live in Brampton.
Vicjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kea66 View Post
I think I still made pretty good choices and my coach seemed pleased too
You made great choices! Your total carbs were probably low enough that you'll be burning fat (in ketosis). Also, what you ate is probably a significant change from your previous routine. I bet you'll see a lower number on the scale at your next weigh-in.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicjul View Post
Hi Karen, just curious what city you live in as I have not seen many people on here from Toronto. I live in Brampton.
Hi, I live north of Toronto in Stouffville.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/153/140

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like you did great! I'm on my first week too; and I'm not sure I could have done that good traveling and eating out! WTG!
Cptswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #10  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

I was in the same situation--started IP and left on a business trip. This is hard, hard, hard. You made some great choices though!!

There are lots of good suggestions here already, and here are some more ideas...one note: most of these require checking a bag instead of all carry on...once I came to terms with that hassle, it made the whole rest of the trip much, much easier.

I travel about 2 weeks per month (and have the same problem going to lunch/dinner with the client so I don't have many choices). It has been hard, and I have not lost as quickly as some other folks but have managed to drop 37 pounds in just under 4 mos.

1. call ahead and see if your hotel has a fridge and/or microwave. If they do, take pre-packed mini-bags of veggies. Nuke them at night so they are lightly "steamed", refrigerate overnight, and put them in your bag before you leave in the morning. Take a lemon with you and squeeze it over the veggies in the morning. I usually eat them "room temp" or sometimes luck out and the place where I am meeting has a microwave. I also now travel with a pyrex bowl with lid, so I can nuke and carry them in glass rather than a baggie (which makes for a more aesthetically pleasing lunch!) but a baggie works too.

2. breakfast: make your shaker full of cappucino or vanilla pudding before you leave the hotel. stop at starbucks and get a large glass full of ice and 1-2 shots of espresso. pour the two together...looks like you are just drinking a starbucks "normal" drink.

3. carry some RTD drinks in your checked bag. Put 1-2 in your shoulder bag for the day. when everyone else is having their coffee (late morning) drink your RTD. This will keep you from being starving by the time you get to lunch, so you will feel ok if all you end up with is a somewhat unimaginative salad. Eat your pre-packed veggies for an afternoon snack.

4. going out to dinner: ceaser is actually your safest dressing carb-wise even if it is high calorie. It is the one you can count on to be sugar free, so if you cannot get something plain (a slice of lemon and some olive oil, or some vinegar and olive oil) stick with ceasar--that was a good choice!

5. if you are a fish eater, see if folks want to go have sushi for dinner. If not (I'm not!) stick with a plain steak, or roast chicken or some other "plain" cut (just ask them to leave the sauce off). If it says "marinade" give it a pass, there is at least a 90% chance it involves sugar.

6. you can "swap" your whole protein meal into breakfast, so go to breakfast and order a 2 egg omelette. no cheese, lots of veggies. Then have a shake/salad combo for both lunch and dinner.

7. depending on how long the trip is (and if you have a fridge) make some hard boiled eggs and take them with you for your protein.

8. when I eat at an asian place, I ask for plain steamed veggies and plain steamed chicken (avoids all the marinades). Then I ask for some wheat free (gluten free) soy sauce and some sesame oil and dress it at the table.

9. if you have any choice of where to eat, pick greek or middle eastern, you will find more menu choices that work (Greek salad, a chicken kabob, olives, baba ganoush, etc.)

you are already doing a great job and re-orienting how you think and that is 3/5 of this food plan. I am sure you will see a drop even in one week, so don't be discouraged!
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #11  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I was in the same situation--started IP and left on a business trip. This is hard, hard, hard. You made some great choices though!!

There are lots of good suggestions here already, and here are some more ideas...one note: most of these require checking a bag instead of all carry on...once I came to terms with that hassle, it made the whole rest of the trip much, much easier.

EXCELLENT ADVICE! There are a lot of really great tips here. Would you add this to the travel thread? I know it may duplicate a point or two but, there really are some wonderful new things that would make a great add to that thread too!

showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #12  

Thank you everyone! I feel I'll be better prepared next week. On the positive side (in a weird way) I won't be travelling with anyone and don't expect to have to go out for lunch or dinner with anyone, I can just go grab what I want...sort of lonely but it's only 2 days!