Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #1  

Default Should I exercise?

I've been told exercise may slow down the weight loss because of the muscle gain. But I want to exercise. I had been running but then I had a knee injury while running on the treadmill in May and I had surgery 2 weeks ago. My kids got me Wii Fit for my birthday just before my surgery so I have only used it a couple of times but I have been given the go ahead to use it by my physical therapist. Should I do it. Did anyone else have problems losing when they exercised? I would think it would help.

Traci
traciab710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Exercise plays a big part of dieting! I think they say it's 80% diet 20% exercise. It gives you energy, burns calories, makes you feel good afterwards! I say go for it! But start off slow to ensure your body is comfortable with what you are doing. Best of luck!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #3  
Dave - The Speedo King

IMHO, there's too much emphasis on simply shedding pounds when it comes to any diet. The more muscle mass you have, the more energy you consume. The more energy you consume, the more effective you'll be at burning fat. So exercise might slow you down temporarily, but adding muscle mass will increase your ability to burn fat overall.

The goal is to become healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle must include exercise.
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traciab710 View Post
I've been told exercise may slow down the weight loss because of the muscle gain. But I want to exercise. I had been running but then I had a knee injury while running on the treadmill in May and I had surgery 2 weeks ago. My kids got me Wii Fit for my birthday just before my surgery so I have only used it a couple of times but I have been given the go ahead to use it by my physical therapist. Should I do it. Did anyone else have problems losing when they exercised? I would think it would help.

Traci
First, you should listen to your coach or doctor... sometimes exercise makes us hungrier & we start craving more than is allowed on the diet... there may be other factors at work, too, so I can't really say, except for this: if your goal is fat loss, as mine is, exercise will eventually be beneficial... with exercise you build lean muscle & lean muscle burns calories, fat doesn't... I don't care what the scales say, I only care that those rolls of fat disappear, so I have been exercising all along... but I was exercising before I started IP, so that might have made a difference... like I said, your coach/doctor will know what's best for YOU...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #5  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traciab710 View Post

Traci
I have only been exercising since hitting goal and phasing off but looking back I probably should have been doing some since the begining but I was just lazy, Elizabeth is our exercise guru but I think if you keep your heart rate to 60-70% of your max heart and add in extra protein, it shouldnt slow you down, ChaplainsWifey, walked 6 times a week and lost I think 98 in 6 months....
WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #6  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
IMHO, there's too much emphasis on simply shedding pounds when it comes to any diet. The more muscle mass you have, the more energy you consume. The more energy you consume, the more effective you'll be at burning fat. So exercise might slow you down temporarily, but adding muscle mass will increase your ability to burn fat overall.

The goal is to become healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle must include exercise.
WELL SAID SALESGOD!!!!!
WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/138/128

Height: 5'5

I specifically asked this question before starting to two different coaches. That both said no exercise for the first two to three weeks ( I do tend to have intense exercises of 600-700 kcal burn with my trainer) but I could go back to it afterwards. I would imagine an hour walk at a regular pace etc should be okay at all stages from the beginning.
Zebra35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra35 View Post
I specifically asked this question before starting to two different coaches. That both said no exercise for the first two to three weeks ( I do tend to have intense exercises of 600-700 kcal burn with my trainer) but I could go back to it afterwards. I would imagine an hour walk at a regular pace etc should be okay at all stages from the beginning.
I think that would probably be ideal... you'll know how much you can handle... you can always go up or down from there...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote