Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 191.5/170/140

Height: 5 ft 5 in

That I would be hungry, that my hair would fall out, and that I would get really grouchy around week 12.
shelleydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 215/158.3/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshell5488 View Post
So much differing information about do's and don'ts - my coach is so different - first off I have to have 5 packets per day with 1 restricted a must (since the day I started). In fact, if I don't have 5 I get yelled at because my muscle mass has decreased and have now been told that a person of my size may actually need 6 packets a day - and she's threatened to drop me from the program if I continue to lose muscle mass and not eat the required amount of packets. I've been told to eat extra veggies and proteins and eat an egg if I have to to insure I get enough protein in. And yes, my hairs been falling out - getting quite a thin spot on top of my head! I get so confused over what to do or not to do - everone's coach is so different - isn't there supposed to be one standard protocol? I can hardly afford the 5 packets a day, and now to add a 6th - why so much differeing information out there? I'm soooo confused! Wish there was some agreement to what was standard protocol for all coaches to tell us.
I'm thinking you need to find a different coach. My husband started at 370 pounds and was told to eat 4 packets a day, his choice. No mention of restricted or non restricted. In fact, the first 2 weeks all he had was the chocolate drink and mushroom soup, plus our meat meal in the evenings. in the third week, he added the caramel bars, once a day as a snack, to replace one of the chocolate drinks. In 11 weeks, he has lost almost 70 pounds and is doing fine. No sign of muscle loss. Good luck!
rox824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #33  

Quote:
In fact, if I don't have 5 I get yelled at because my muscle mass has decreased and have now been told that a person of my size may actually need 6 packets a day - and she's threatened to drop me from the program if I continue to lose muscle mass and not eat the required amount of packets.
Ummm, your coach yells at you? I think that might be acceptable behaviour from a drill sergeant at a military bootcamp, but an Ideal Protein "coach"? This "coach" needs to get her butt kicked from here to kingdom come.

Yelling and berating doesn't work. Don't they think we've yelled at and berated ourselves enough by now? And has it worked to keep us from doing things we know are sub-optimal?
If yelling and berating did work, imagine the world we'd live in:
  • children would always have their homework done
  • nobody would be overweight or addicted to substances
  • there'd never be any fights anywhere about anything because the yellee would always back down to the yeller
  • and, most importantly, people wouldn't cut me off when I'm driving!

Maybe this comment should go in a not-yet-existing thread entitled, "What your coach needs to know about coaching."

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 09-12-2010 at 01:20 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #34  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
So much differing information about do's and don'ts - my coach is so different - first off I have to have 5 packets per day with 1 restricted a must (since the day I started). In fact, if I don't have 5 I get yelled at because my muscle mass has decreased and have now been told that a person of my size may actually need 6 packets a day - and she's threatened to drop me from the program if I continue to lose muscle mass and not eat the required amount of packets. I've been told to eat extra veggies and proteins and eat an egg if I have to to insure I get enough protein in. And yes, my hairs been falling out - getting quite a thin spot on top of my head! I get so confused over what to do or not to do - everone's coach is so different - isn't there supposed to be one standard protocol? I can hardly afford the 5 packets a day, and now to add a 6th - why so much differeing information out there? I'm soooo confused! Wish there was some agreement to what was standard protocol for all coaches to tell us.
Quote:
I know it sounds fishy - but I've been averaging 3 pounds a week and with the threat of being told I can't stay on program, I'm worried. Its the only diet that's worked for me and I'm having a hard time affording 5 packs as it is - can't believe you guys are only having 3! what a huge difference in protocol.
Quote:
thank you - that makes sense doesn't it!
Quote:
Spoke to my coach more about it today-because of my make up she wants to insure I lose no muscle mass and with the decrease I had because of increased activities (and energy) thats what happened - fat went up and muscle mass went down. The big misconception (in my brain anyhow) was that I would lose more each week if I ate less packets, and thats absolutely not the truth - apparently the extra protein from the extra packet or two insures that I stay in ketosis and I burn the fat not the muscle - she wants to make sure when I reach my goal I have all my muscle mass because thats what will keep burning fat - does that make sense? I feel better. The number or packets really shouldn't impact anyone's weight loss staying in ketosis is important and insuring muscle mass stays intact as well - and I forgot, and as was pointed out, your heart is a muscle too! I think I understand a little better now. Thanks for everyone's input.

Hey Meshell! How are you? I know it has been almost 2 months since these posts, how is it going with your coach? How are you feeling with the added protein?
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #35  
here I am again :(

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Carla, thanx for the motivation U R so good on this that you should be a coach in the future, you have a lot of knowledge about nutrition, and know pretty much everything about the diet, probably more than my coach and yes the nightmares are crazy and when I wake up I just say Than God it was just a dream!!

Last edited by biggirl86; 09-12-2010 at 06:59 PM.
biggirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #36  
JKF
Beach Ready by February!

S/C/G: 101/189/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggirl86 View Post
Carla, thanx for the motivation U R so good on this that you should be a coach in the future, you have a lot of knowledge about nutrition, and know pretty much everything about the diet, probably more than my coach and yes the nightmares are crazy and when I wake up I just say Than God it was just a dream!!
-----------
I was just thinking how supportive and postive Carla is and how much I appreciate being able to learn from her... Thank you Carla. I'm an IP newbie and am so glad you're on this forum and share your knowledge so freely.

Last edited by JKF; 09-13-2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: forgot to add what I wish my coach would have told me... not to use restricteds, to drink my water early in the day.
JKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #37  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
She was probably lenient about the restricted foods because, AS OF THIS SUMMER, Ideal Protein changed its protocol for Phase1.

Restricted foods are allowable during week one if it is seen as necessary for the client. The are allowed for all clients beginning week 2.
Well, that would make sense then, Carla. I haven't been disappointed with the results at all and I haven't had as many of the negative side-effects as some seem to. I had already cut back on carbs for 4 months before I began IP, just not to this level so I suspect that made it easier.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #38  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
  • most importantly, people wouldn't cut me off when I'm driving!
I just put on my toque and I'm headed your way, eh. My plan is to find you and cut you off in traffic!
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 222/207/150

Today is my first day on the site. Showgirlaz, i find your posts so inspirational!
I started IP sept 1st at 222 and have lost 13 pounds as of today (209). I go tomorrow and did not know not having a restricted item per day was an option. My "coach" said one per day (bars, soy puffs, ridges). Tomorrow I will only get the drinks. I'm hoping to amp-up the weight loss.
I'm in great need of inspiration, my coach does not help at all. i walk in, weigh in, she measures and i pick out food and pay. end of story. I'm only 22 and while all of my friends are gathering for food and drink i'm holding back for the next 7-8 weeks in hopes of reaching my goal. Any Help would be appreciated, I NEED IT!
Thanks! I'm so glad i found this!
ChelseaKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #40  
here I am again :(

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/135

Hi Chelsea.

I am also new to this forum and to the diet (day11), and found a lot of help with the motivation end experience share by Carla (showgirlaz). My coach is the same way or even worst than yours, she doesn't meassure me. so I just go there every 2 weeks because is far from my house, and I get weigh pay for the food, and see you in 2 wks. But dont't worry Chelsea, this forum is the best! and you"ll find the support and information you need to keep going. GOOD LUCK!
biggirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 266/253.8/166

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Follow the mixing instructions exactly ...i.e. use cold water, mix, then heat the mix.

Little old smarty pants here thought she'd use a shortcut. I dispensed hot water from a coffee machine at work onto the cappucino drink powder. What I got was cappucino-flavoured hot water with cooked protein floaters! Not quite disgusting but close.
I thought I could shake with hot water... it blew the top off the shaker, (after one shake) and went all over the kitchen at work.... made for a laugh though

Carol
qwizardgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwizardgal View Post
I thought I could shake with hot water... it blew the top off the shaker, (after one shake) and went all over the kitchen at work.... made for a laugh though

Carol
Um, been there done that. Thought I'd skip part of the warming process. I had to toss that jacket -- it was fine, it doesn't fit anymore, anyway.
JessicaCourez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #43  
Choco-holic Expert

S/C/G: 165/158/140

Height: 5'3"

I find it so interesting how everyone's coach varies so widely. I am new to the IP program (starting my second week) and my coach is great. I work at a chiropractor's office that has one of the doctor's as the IP coach. I know I am lucky to have someone so close at hand throughout the day and most of the other doctors and staff I work with have been through the IP program in the past. She even told me about this forum which is awesome!

I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone hear, especially Carla, for all of their inspirational words and motivation to everyone who is a newbie. It makes it so much easier.... You guys Rock!
crimsonorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 222/207/150

Weigh in today....
I've lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks! 4 inches off of my waist, 2 in arms, 2 in chest and 1 in thighs!
I did ask my provider about cutting the 1 restricted item per day and she advised that research shows it has little to no effect except being much more hungry.
Also i asked about being SO thirsty and she said it was normal. Altoids makes a mint that has sucralose in it. they are called Altoids SMALLS. she said i can suck on those all day and they help a great deal with the thirst and with hunger but you must be carful when picking them out and make sure they're altoids SMALLS and have sucralose in them. May be helpful for some of you...
Hope everyone has a great day!
ChelseaKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #45  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

I'm hoping all of your coaches have shared the cd of Olivier Benloulou (he is Dr. Tiens associate and Director in North America...He takes you thru all the items in Dr. Tiens book BUT in front of a live audience, so he gives examples and thoroughly explains the why's and where's of the program....in plain English...(he's French so he pronounces some of the word a little differently)

It is soooo good I had to borrow the disk and have it copied.

Marilyn
pumpkyparry is offline   Reply With Quote