Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:53 AM   #31  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkahlunkah View Post
Baby steps are often the best kind. I'm a big fan of them. Will you be replacing the 3rd cup with a different caffeinated beverage like tea or simply going w/o?
Just going without. I'm trying to up my intake of water, instead. I probably don't drink enough water anyway.

How are things going for you these days?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #32  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Hey Dee. Slow and steady for me these days, with an emphasis on slooooow.

I got down to 140.0 just before my London vacation last fall. Then I stalled for a while, and then from around Nov to Feb (?, not sure) I went up 7 pounds!! That's when I was applying and waiting to hear back from PhD programs. They have an acceptance rate of under 10%, most of them under 5%, and I soothed my uncertain future by waaay overeating. I don't usually turn to food like that. Sigh. Anyway, once I got word of acceptances, I stopped that nonsense and started getting that 7 pounds off. Then I was stalled again at around 140/141 for ages. I'm finally dropping into the 130s. 138.8 today!
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 AM   #33  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Hey Dee. Slow and steady for me these days, with an emphasis on slooooow.

I got down to 140.0 just before my London vacation last fall. Then I stalled for a while, and then from around Nov to Feb (?, not sure) I went up 7 pounds!! That's when I was applying and waiting to hear back from PhD programs. They have an acceptance rate of under 10%, most of them under 5%, and I soothed my uncertain future by waaay overeating. I don't usually turn to food like that. Sigh. Anyway, once I got word of acceptances, I stopped that nonsense and started getting that 7 pounds off. Then I was stalled again at around 140/141 for ages. I'm finally dropping into the 130s. 138.8 today!
Wow, that is terrific! Congratulations on coming so far!

I was doing good the past few days- until today. I swear I ate everything in sight today. I have no idea what is causing me to have these cravings.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #34  
Shorty getting fit

I'm sorry about the cravings. I'd bet most, if not all, of us here can relate to days when our body demands all of the food. It's weird and, like you said, can be so hard to identify the reasons. For a while, I had a hard time consistently eating under 1400 calories a day. Now, consistently eating in the 1100s through the 1300s feels simple. Why? Who knows? It seems like a few things need to line up for me to reach that point, and a few things need to be off for me to feel the other way. But I don't really know, and it probably varies. I guess what matters most is waiting out the hard parts and never giving up. I know you'll stay strong and see it through. I hope things get easier though so not so much strength is needed. You've earned easier!

Congrats on the stretch of days that went well. An off day here and there won't negate all the good you're doing.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #35  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Congrats on the stretch of days that went well. An off day here and there won't negate all the good you're doing.
Yeah I was back down to 142 yesterday morning before eating the house. LOL.

I think part of it is I've begun eating more fruit, it's in season and it's cheap, and I think it's triggering cravings. Too much sugar, maybe.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #36  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Keep plugging away Dee you're doing really well. As Chunks says, we all have periods like that. The bad patches will come along, and it's how you pick yourself up afterwards that makes the difference and not the bad patch itself, so don't worry about house-eating yesterday lol.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #37  
Here to Learn

Thanks, Ange82much-

I see that you are also in maintenance- what have been your challenges, and what strategies do you use? You're exceeded your goal, even. Way to go!
Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #38  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi Dee, i'm a complete beginner really, or it feels that way, and have been in Maintenance mode about 7 weeks. So far it's been really easy, but i'm not fooling myself that it will always be that way. Whilst losing I was doing a Mediterranean type diet at about 870 cals per day, so recently I've eaten slightly more of the same sort of thing generally, but been a lot more lax on weekends, and I've definitely increased the wine quota! So I've typically gained a bit on weekends and lost it again during the week so far, which i'm happy with. I've wanted to lose rather than gain during this transition period, hence i'm below target, but very happy with the target, so once I figure out exactly what i'm doing, I may increase a little.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #39  
Shorty getting fit

Hey, Dee! How you doin'?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #40  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Hey, Dee! How you doin'?
Hi Chunkalunkah!

Exercise is going great- hiking and biking a ton. Diet still is too carby- it's like I simply cannot resist berries right now! Argh! I know berries aren't "bad" per-se, but I can seriously eat a 2 lb package of blueberries in one day, which is too many carbs.

How about you?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #41  
Shorty getting fit

Hiking and biking in AK sound amazing!

Things are going pretty well. I'm getting in exercise most days and eating at a small calorie deficit. The weight's coming off slowly, but I don't mind that because the process feels so natural. I end some days a little hungry, but that doesn't happen often and it's never been bad (knock on wood).

I move next week (halfway across the country!), so that may throw me off my game until I adjust. I'm ok with that though; it'll pass. I've gotten so ridiculously laid back with weight loss.

I've been thinking of getting Beachbody on Demand again. First I'm going to wait and see if the free wifi in my new place works well enough to stream. I always associate you with BoD because you're who I first heard about it from. Ahh, good times.

The site just logged me out before I could post, but I'm on to their shenanigans and always copy my post now before I hit submit. Just a heads up bc I think that got worse during your hiatus.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #42  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Hiking and biking in AK sound amazing!

Things are going pretty well. I'm getting in exercise most days and eating at a small calorie deficit. The weight's coming off slowly, but I don't mind that because the process feels so natural. I end some days a little hungry, but that doesn't happen often and it's never been bad (knock on wood).

I move next week (halfway across the country!), so that may throw me off my game until I adjust. I'm ok with that though; it'll pass. I've gotten so ridiculously laid back with weight loss.

I've been thinking of getting Beachbody on Demand again. First I'm going to wait and see if the free wifi in my new place works well enough to stream. I always associate you with BoD because you're who I first heard about it from. Ahh, good times.

The site just logged me out before I could post, but I'm on to their shenanigans and always copy my post now before I hit submit. Just a heads up bc I think that got worse during your hiatus.
I haven't used BOD in about 6 weeks. I still have my subscription active but once I started having shoulder pain I pretty much stopped all exercise except some yoga, hiking, and biking. I should get back into BOD again, at least for stuff that won't aggravate my shoulder.

Where are you moving to? Are you excited? Why are you moving? New job?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #43  
Shorty getting fit

I hope you find something in BoD that you like and doesn't aggravate your shoulder. It can be so convenient some days to just turn that on and get your workout in. Although I'd guess that during nice weather in AK, nothing can really compete with the joy of being outside!

I'm moving to TX for grad school. I'll also be teaching college courses as part of my financial package. (I teach, and they pay my tuition and a salary.) I'm getting more excited as it approaches! It's finally started feeling real lately as I've been packing and getting everything in order for the move. I'm going to miss living somewhere that has fall foliage. That's my favorite season! I'll have to (carefully) console myself with bbq and tacos.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #44  
Here to Learn

Quote:
I hope you find something in BoD that you like and doesn't aggravate your shoulder. It can be so convenient some days to just turn that on and get your workout in. Although I'd guess that during nice weather in AK, nothing can really compete with the joy of being outside!

I'm moving to TX for grad school. I'll also be teaching college courses as part of my financial package. (I teach, and they pay my tuition and a salary.) I'm getting more excited as it approaches! It's finally started feeling real lately as I've been packing and getting everything in order for the move. I'm going to miss living somewhere that has fall foliage. That's my favorite season! I'll have to (carefully) console myself with bbq and tacos.
Congratulations! That sounds amazing. What are your goals after grad school? Keep teaching, or...?

I've never lived anywhere with beautiful fall foliage. In Alaska, it turns yellow and quickly falls off the tree. Someday I'd like to see back east when it's fall time. Maybe even this year! My mom lives right on the edge of the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina, and if I time my visit right maybe I'll see the colors.

On BOD, I'm inclined to try Tai Cheng. That's got a good reputation for helping people regain mobility and recover from injury.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #45  
Shorty getting fit

I hope you can time your visit for the colors! It's gorgeous.

Tai Cheng sounds perfect for your situation. I'm considering getting BoD again. I'd love to, but I'd rather spare the expense right now, with moving and a lower salary than I'm used to. Another low impact workout that probably wouldn't hurt your shoulder is the dance workouts that Leandro Carvalho, the trainer for Brazil Butt Lift, made. I suspect they wouldn't be your style. They're very Richard Simmonsesque.

Yes, my goal when I'm done is to be a professor. Ideally I'd like a position that has a high research component (writing my own articles) because I find research and writing intellectually fulfilling. Those are more challenging to get than straight-up instructor positions though, so we'll see. That's definitely what would be the best fit for me though.