General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Eating for Life (Bill Philips)

Most of you have probably heard of Body for Life, by Bill Philips. He's just released a new book called Eating for Life. It's designed as a companion to BFL, and is an eating guide and recipe book. It is useful to anyone that wants to live a healthy lifestyle, and is not necessarily just for dieters. You can use it with BFL, or use it as a stand-alone eating plan. I've found myself flipping through it every time I've gone to the bookstore, so I finally made the plunge and bought a copy

Helpful links:
Chat with Bill Philips on WebMD about the EFL plan
Eating for Life official site which includes sample recipes and program basics. Make sure you read the Q&A.

EFL Basics:
You eat 6 times a day. This is generally small balanced meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner, two snacks (which usually are a meal replacement bar or shake, or a nutrition shake from book recipes) and a healthy dessert. You can enjoy fruits, breads, etc, and it can be adapted to fit a vegetarian lifestyle. You follow the plan 6 days a week, and then you enjoy a free day.

The recipes in the book look heavenly, including Santa Fe Chicken Soup, Balsamic Salmon Salad, Turkey Bacon Quiche, Pumpkin Cheesecake, and many more. If you already have Body for Life, you'll notice that Eating for Life includes more food choices.

Exercise is recommended, as it should be included in ANY weight loss plan. However, you don't have to follow the weight lifting routine recommended in Body for Life, unless that is your goal.

I'm planning to start the plan on Thursday, April 1. I would like to invite anyone that is curious about the plan to join me, and let's see how well we do together I'll post primarily in this thread, but will also look forward to joining the Ladies who Lift in their weekly support thread, for their experience in weight lifting and previous BFL expertise We've chosen to do this in the Diet Plans forum, though, since it can focus on the diet and many people may want to try it without making the Body for Life plunge
Old 03-29-2004, 10:56 PM   #2  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hey Suzanne,

Thanks for starting the thread. I have just started a new challenge this past Wednesday and look forward to sharing the experience w/ some others. Since I am dieting I will be approaching this with the recommended exercise as well. I actually see the exercise as the biggest challenge.

I completed a challenge about a year ago and found it a really freeing approach to eating. It is very satisfying in terms of not getting hungry. As far as EFL, well I have tried the turkey meatballs and like them a lot. I have also tried a couple of the shakes with good results.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:31 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

well. hi there folks!!!! just dropping in... 6 meals a day??? not yet!!! i still can't manage to eat 60 grams of protein plus 60 calories of carbs in a day!!!!! i can manage up to about 80-90 grams of protein, but that means almost no carbs. <sigh:> it's always SOMETHING.

so i'm looking forward to seeing how other people are doing.... it'll be fun!!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #4  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hi guys - I've been eating this way for just a year now, and I love it! It's become so ingrained that I can't imagine any other way! Hopefully I can help answer any questions you might have.

I have the EFL cookbook, and love it! My personal fave is the Lettuce Wraps, but instead of wrapping the filling in lettuce, I mix it with 1/2 cup of brown rice. I like it better than going out for Chinese! Other faves include the Singapore Shrimp, the Shrimp Scampi and the Chicken Enchilada's. I've started leaving the jalepeno out of the recipes though - obviously Bill likes things hot!
Cindy
Old 03-30-2004, 10:55 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Hi! Just wanted to add my 2 cents that IMO you've made a great choice. BFL really helped me about a year ago when I'd started to regain and stopped exercising. I never really completed the 12-week challenge but my eating and lifestyle (not to mention my body) improved a lot. I need lots more cardio than the original exercise program calls for, though, so I don't follow that part of it. I kind of do a modified version of the food program now ... modified mainly because I can't stick with it (yet) and when I manage to do well on it, my energy, mood, blood sugar, and weight start feeling much more stable. I have all the books, including the new cookbook, which I carry in the car when working just so's I can look through it for motivation. Both my doc and personal trainer approve of this way of eating ...
Old 03-31-2004, 07:28 AM   #6  
Chick

Hey ladies. Amaranth and Cindy, great to hear your testament on the effectiveness of this WOE. Amaranth I know what you mean about looking at EFL, it has a really nice format. Also about how following the eating plan makes you feel. I describe it as a "sense of well being". Today marks the end of my first week following BFL strictly, after not following it so strictly in a while. It wasn't hard at all and I am happy to have that little success tucked in. Cindy, I look forward to being able to make your claim of a year - WOW! You need to share your story here, I know it but others might not and it is a great success story! Amaranth, your stats are very impressive - I'd love to hear your story of weight loss. Suzanne, hope your planning is coming along for your start date.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:14 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Ledom, after typing that post last night I decided I'm going to a more strict EFL today, too!!!! Although I do use items that aren't on the "authorized" list ... there are a lot of good whole grains products and proteins that the plan doesn't even consider, so my definition of "authorized" is a bit different than Bill's.

I usually post on the miscellaneous clubs forum but will be following this thread with interest!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:52 PM   #8  
it's always something

Thanks, everyone! I'm excited about starting this. It looks like the most balanced diet plan I've seen in a long time, and it can work for any goals from getting in better shape to losing weight. I hope to see you all here, and we can share tips and support, though I suspect this will be very easy to follow

Ledom, everything is planned and ready, thanks! I've dusted off my dumbbells , been to the grocery store, and according to UPS tracking, my Myoplex Lite will be delivered on Thursday. I have to admit that I considered not using the Myoplex, as I've never been a fan of buying special products for a diet, and I do have budget concerns. However, I really need to focus on building and toning muscle and it appears the extra proteins will be helpful. I have a lot to learn about it. Anyway, Vitaglo is having a big sale on Myoplex Lite, and this is part of what encouraged me to go for it. A 42 packet variety pack is $39.19 and a 20 pack is $21.40, with free shipping over $50. That's the cheapest price I've found anywhere, even cheaper than ebay. I'll probably order more, to stock up before the sale ends. Do you all use the Myoplex?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:31 PM   #9  
Lovin' Zumba!

I've actually answered this before on another thread, so sorry for the repeat to some of you.... But yes, I use Myoplex Lite - twice daily. Cappuccino Ice for meal one, after working out, and a flavor from the variety pack for my fourth meal of the day.

I agree Suzanne - without using it, I'd never get enough protein in. And, just fyi, I also have added protein in my last meal of the day - it's usually old-fashioned oatmeal, prepared, with chocolate protein powder mixed in. Yummy!
Cindy
Old 04-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #10  
Empress/Queen

Unfortunately, I got so inspired yesterday I bought some of my favorite Myoplex Lite bars (cinnamon roll) and the package rose up to attack me at about 9:30 p.m., so I had a really high cal day ... but these are better than the candy bars that have been slipping in daily. My whole day was EFL, although I do seven official meals instead of six. I use a spreadsheet divided into seven sections to log in the meals and automatically count the calories for me, as I need to know how many calories I'm eating.

I used to order the bars online but sometimes they ended up sitting outside in the Arizona sun for a few hours before I got home, so now I get them at the health food store. I use a different kind of protein powder, though, and love adding it to muffins, etc. Was looking at the cookbook yesterday and saw the recipe for french toast using the powder ... what a great idea for Sunday morning!!!!

I'm sure everyone is also aware there are some good software products out there for keeping track of BFL in your handhelds if you use them.

Suzanne, thanks for posting this thread. It's kind of pumped me up to go back on the program!!!!

Let's go out there and make this day a fabulous day ON PROGRAM!!!! Every day counts!!!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #11  
it's always something

I'm glad you are here with us! Don't worry about the bars. That's probably the sort of thing you usually just do once, lol. I don't think I'll buy the bars because I'll find them too tempting. I'd rather have something that I have to take the time to prepare, so it's not an easy grab.

The french toast recipe sounds yummy! I don't have vanilla flavored protein powder, but I do have some pure soy protein powder. I guess I could use that, add a packet of Splenda, and a drop or two of vanilla. Darn, now I'm wishing I had that this morning I had the egg enchiladas, and they were pretty good!

Now I'm off to exercise. I can't exercise on an empty stomach.

Good luck everyone!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 AM   #12  
Chick

Goodmorning - yes thanks for the thread Suzanne! I have not used the myoplex lite shakes until just this week when I bought a handful locally to try before committing to a large order. My first order to Vitaglo must be leaving on the same truck as yours, I am expecting it to be here soon. I haven't tried the bars at all but ordered a box of those as well.

The recipe that has me most intrigued in EFL at the moment are the Greek Pinwheels. When I first got EFL it schocked me because of some of the foods it allows. I read BFL a little over a year ago and I am afraid that I was not as creative as I might have been, thinking chicken, eggwhites, yams, brown rice, and oatmeal were about it. Not that I haven't enjoyed those foods but EFL opened my eyes to a nicer variety.

http://www.skwigg.com/ is my favorite BFL related website. Amaranth, her take on food choices might interest you. She wrote a great essay on BFL vs. EFL under the link things to read.

The challenge that I have started is different in a few subtle ways. First, the addition of shakes, the other is that I am paying more attention to some of the details of the plan. In EFL, the way he divides the foods into breakfast, mid-meals, lunch, etc. has me looking at what I eat at what time of day.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:43 AM   #13  
it's always something

Great site! I'm going to enjoy looking through it, she looks wonderful!

I wasn't very impressed with the food plan in the BFL book, and I think that's one of the reasons I never gave it much consideration. I am one of those nutters that thinks you should enjoy your meals if you plan to stick to a diet. Brown rice and egg whites aren't at the top of my food wish list Plus, I had reviewed the reader contributed recipes on the BFL site and wasn't really impressed. It was too much like a diet, if you know what I mean. It was really flipping through the Eating for Life book that made me do a double-take, and consider not only the diet, but the body building (or should I say body improving) end as well. I also love the way he gives the recipes per meal group, it makes it so easy to follow. If I'm wrong, then please correct me, but I think you can choose any breakfast to go with any lunch to go with any dinner. Each meal seems to be properly balanced, so you don't need plan the whole day, you just need to pick a meal.

Vitaglo ships fast!! I placed my order Sunday morning, and it was on the truck Monday
Old 04-01-2004, 11:29 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Thanks for the link, Ledom. I'm going to check it out!

Hmmm. Unfortunately, Suzanne, that's the kind of thing I do all too often ... hence the weight problem!

Did really well today ... too heavy on the bars but kept in the context of my seven meals ... I post all my menus with the CCRRMM's in the misc. clubs forum so I won't repeat what I ate but I agree that the "authorized" foods have expanded in the newer program. But I've always simply interpreted it as balancing a low glycemic carb, a protein, and some good fats and produce. When I'm doing this program (or even when I'm not), if I have a very high glycemic carb, I balance it with some protein. It really helps. My nutrition has always been very bad and this is the only eating style that has ever helped me.

Suzanne, brown rice actually is one of my favorite foods ... I make a batch and mix a little sf apricot preserves in it, portion it in foil packets and micro to go with chicken or fish. Without the apricot, it's good to stir fry with frozen vege or something. I can't stand white rice anymore!

Definitely you can mix any of the cookbook recipes with any other ... and make up your own carb/protein combos using the recipes as a guide. I keep experimenting with muffins (and foisting the recipes on the CCRRMMs) ... like double corn muffins using mostly whole wheat flour (and a little white flour), cottage cheese, cornmeal and frozen corn ... because I need portable mini meals on my job.

Anyway, sorry, I am rambling. I do that a lot. I'm calling this Day 1 of my new modified EFL initiative! Everytime I eat this way I start to feel better in as little as one day.

Have fun everyone!

Re the bodybuilding, IMO, BFL is a really good guide. I like the way he uses the peaks and valleys re intensity, although it isn't enough cardio for me. I have a personal trainer so I basically do what she suggests but it seems to me you can't go far wrong following the BFL ... the journal has it all laid out rather nicely ... if you don't have it, it's worth getting.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:44 AM   #15  
it's always something

Thanks for all the great ideas! Even the brown rice with apricot sounds

Btw, have you tried freezing the bars? If they have to thaw before you eat them, then that might help keep them at bay, at least long enough to change your mind. I have a couple of boxes of Shape-Up bars in my freezer I know that Dr. Phil's Shape-Up bars aren't the healthiest of bars, but Amazon had them on clearance a few weeks ago at 4.99 per box of 12. Who could resist? My son loves them, though, so they probably wont' last long.

I agree on the amount of cardio. I know my body, and 20 minutes x 3 times per week = weight gain. I need something daily. Besides, I enjoy it. Having a personal trainer sounds nice. Do you find that it helps?

Good luck on Day 2
Closed Thread