General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #1  

Default Bone mass on scale

I just got one of those fancy scales that measures your bone mass. I as annoyed to discover that my bone mass came up as 3%. Or 6.0 lbs. When I looked at the directions on the scale the lowest it said to have was 4%.

Later I looked it up and on line it is said that people over 160 lbs typically have 6.5 lbs of bone weight.

All of this makes me wonder if I have a bone problem. But before I call up my doctor and want a bone scan does anyone else have similar results? Or find the bone mass on the scale wrong?
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #2  

AnnRue, I have a scale that tracks those things, or at least it used to. I bought it back in 2013. FWIW....I recall reading somewhere that bone mass on a home scale is notoriously inaccurate. I don't remember why, except they said to just keep track of your own patterns, that the technology does not lend itself to standardized values.

If it's any help, I was 59-61 when I paid attention to it. It was about 5, later on it was in the 4s. My weight was 140-165, 5'4". I have big, heavy bones. I think the reading has to do with your overall body composition %, so it will fluctuate with your hydration, fat %, etc. even if your actual bone mass has not changed--just the limit of the technology.

5 years later, maybe they have a better way to measure this. If not, I think the most accurate is bone densitometry, that you doctor can get for you, & I see it offered monthly at some drugstores too, for a fee.

Look forward to hearing what else you find out!

Last edited by Sundove; 07-01-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:19 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
AnnRue, I have a scale that tracks those things, or at least it used to. I bought it back in 2013. FWIW....I recall reading somewhere that bone mass on a home scale is notoriously inaccurate. I don't remember why, except they said to just keep track of your own patterns, that the technology does not lend itself to standardized values.
Look forward to hearing what else you find out!
Thanks. I have always had little bone and known it... my sister actually has shark teeth (that is two layers of teeth) and I joke with her all the time she got all the bone.

So I think I am going to ask my doctor about it. I can also pay for a bone scan at a private facility if my doctor won't authorize it.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote