General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Question Need your help...advice please!

Got a question……

So, just found out there’s LAZY KETO, KETO, LOW CARB. Of course know there’s ATKINS and S. BEACH! OMG! What is the difference between these diets? Granted, limited carbs but what would be the most effective and easiest to stick with? I will be going on a short weekend trip in a couple weeks and want to get serious after my trip and thought about either trying a low carb diet OR following a diet roughly around 1800 calories watching macros and getting the right amount of protein, carbs and fat in each meal. I honestly find it very hard to do as I don't care about spending hours meal prepping. I want something I can follow and the meals simple and don't require a lot of cooking either. I know...I WANT IT ALL, RIGHT?! LOL

I am at a crossroads as to which one to choose. Like so many of you, been there done that with diets and I am sick of nothing working. I have been told I don’t eat enough to lose and then on the other hand, to eat every 2 hours, get my good carbs in, watch macros, blah blah blah. PLUS, I see so many folks going low carb and losing and wondering if this is just another fad. I have been fighting this fight and FAT for YEARS and I am so overwhelmed at all the information out there, just at a crossroads. I am 50, thyroid is normal (had it checked) and I drink a ton of water plus…not liking veggies much isn't a big help. I love protein so thinking it would be the best option is a low carb effort but then I am shamed for thinking this way and limiting the carbs like oatmeal and sweet potatoes for example…the good carbs. HELP! I want to lose about 12 pounds and now being in MENOPAUSE……the challenge is definitely HARDER and clothes just don't fit anymore..body composition is different and I am not going down without a fight! LOL

TIA-TAMMY
taben07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #2  
mjf

Every healthy diet contains a lot of vegetables, so you don't have a choice. Try experimenting with different vegetables and different cooking methods, until you find something that you like. My favorite is sauteed vegetables (usually either green leafy vegetables or broccoli) with olive oil and garlic.

If you don't want to give up carbs, maybe try the Mediterranean diet? It allows you to eat carbs (vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans).

Are you eating enough healthy fats?

Last edited by mjf; 09-04-2018 at 08:01 PM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #3  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

hi tammy, i'm sure all of these diets work but what they're all trying to do is allow you to cut down on calories without making you hungry. Usually that means eating less sugar/carbs, and eating more veggies/protein. And often eating less volume. There's nothing magical about it - I totally get you on not wanting to fuss about recipes and micro nutrients etc. So there's no reason why you have to follow any of them - why not just have your own plan and start by making a real and significant difference to your diet and just see where it gets you? Halve any carbs you would normally have, cut out the sugar, try add in veggies where you can. Something like that. You know yourself if you are changing your habits.....
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/147/121 Size: 3X/10/4

Height: 5'5 1/2"

You'll never escape the necessity of food prep, unless you can afford one of those meal services. And you absolutely do not need any particular diet because you already know what you shouldn't eat. I'd start there, and then figure out some healthy, enjoyable substitutions along the way. For example, I love zucchini or apple slices dipped in hummus (or anything dipped in hummus, really). I love spiralized zucchini instead of pasta, mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, and riced cauliflower instead of actual rice. Sparkling water instead of wine has been a godsend. If you need something sweet, have a couple squares of the darkest chocolate you can get. You'll find it tastes much sweeter once your taste buds are recalibrated.

Also:

- Lift weights, the heaviest you can. It'll make your metabolism more efficient and help prevent loose skin. (Fat loss is still 80% dependent on diet, though.)

- Get more sleep - lack of it stimulates cortisol production, which makes you feel hungrier.

- Consider when you're eating. Having a cutoff time in the evening is a good habit to get into - say, 7pm or so. You have some wiggle room with this if you're doing strenuous lifting or conditioning workouts late at night. Even then, though, the food should still be clean.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you.
Noxqsleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/150/133

Height: 5'8"

Totally agree with Noxqsleft - especially on not eating after 7pm and getting enough sleep. Those things really changed my mindset and I stopped eating just because.

For me - the more I focused on diets, the more crazy it drove me!! I know what foods I feel good after eating and which ones I don't. One of my biggest things is eating until I feel stuffed just because it tastes so good. I just couldn't stop myself. Sometimes I still can't. Sometimes I just say outloud "Stop!".

Everyone has those 2 voices - one who is cheering for you and one who is trying to sabotage you.

For the night time eating, I started drinking Chamomile tea instead and making it a ritual to get sleepy. Reading when I'm in bed and putting my phone away and turning the tv off. It's helped a lot.

I saw this site about Red Tea - it's natural and melts fat - it's red tea which is rooibos, I've seen in the store, even organic. Does anyone know more about it?
RedwoodGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #6  

I don't know. I have always had an issue with counting calories, removing carbs, salt, sweets, etc... I also don't like how Keto and so many others restrict you so much that if you ever want to be able to eat normal again, you'll gain all the pounds back and then some. It happened to me when I lost 60 lbs. using Raspberry drops to help speed up my metabolism and curb my hunger. As soon as I got to my goal and stopped using the drops, the pounds came back. I would recommend trying to find something that is not so restricting.
shylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote