General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/240/145

Height: 5'3"

Default Where are my fellow vegans?!

I became vegan several years ago for ethical reasons, but I continued to struggle with my weight. I'm now cutting processed foods and moving around more to get myself back on track for health. Fellow vegans: what are your favorite recipes, resources, etc.?
jenawithonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I am not vegan, but I don't really understand it very well. I don't think I could give up my meat/eggs. Without knowing much about it, to me it seems to involve a lot of carbs and not much protein, and for me, that is a weight disaster.

Tell me more about how you eat as a vegan.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I am not vegan, but I don't really understand it very well. I don't think I could give up my meat/eggs. Without knowing much about it, to me it seems to involve a lot of carbs and not much protein, and for me, that is a weight disaster.

Tell me more about how you eat as a vegan.
I see no one answered you! I am vegan and can tell you more. Vegan just means no meat or dairy. You can be a junk food vegan or you can be a whole plant vegan. That is what I try to stick to.

Usually I have smoothees in the morning, salads and fruit at lunch and then soup or bowls ar night. Lots of veggies are even more nutritious or only eaten cooked like greens, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and legumes so I eat those cooked at night. I can have problems with blood sugar so I generally don't have any white potatoes or rice or oatmeal because they effect my sugar. But I can eat unlimited fruits and all other veggies with no problems. I eat nuts and seeds in my smoothee and salads for fat and protein. Lots of food to eat!
kris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Thanks, Kris. I think my misunderstand comes from hearing about dishes that contain pasta and rice. Those are things I don't think I will ever be able to eat. I can keep my blood sugar low by eating low carb, but I am not successful with weight loss. I recently started watching the Thrive series which centers around whole food/vegan eating. At this point I plan on increasing my vegetable consumption and reducing my meat consumption, for starters. I still don't think I can completely give up animal protein, but might cut it to a minimum.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #5  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #6  

Default Look here for recipes

Do a search for John Mcdougall recipes,
and you'll find a site with over 500. His recipes are vegan, no salt, sugar, or oil and the website is free
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenawithonen View Post
I became vegan several years ago for ethical reasons, but I continued to struggle with my weight. I'm now cutting processed foods and moving around more to get myself back on track for health. Fellow vegans: what are your favorite recipes, resources, etc.?
crochetkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #7  

Default Here's the link

-recipes-for-mcdolanimuelrath.com/500ugall-maximum-weight-loss-diet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetkid View Post
Do a search for John Mcdougall recipes,
and you'll find a site with over 500. His recipes are vegan, no salt, sugar, or oil and the website is free
crochetkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

I can't have as much starch as McDougal preaches - I'd either be asleep or binging on more starch! I love starch but I have to stick to food like sweet potatoes or legumes or fruits for my starchiness.
kris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #9  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Back to vegan diet

I came back to the vegan diet a month ago - 20 lb. loss as of today. 62 to 67 to go. My favorite cookbook is the China Study Quick and easy cookbook. Trying to be strict this time and get the weight off to stay with the lifestyle rather than a short term diet.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vegan