3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Dr. Phil (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/30860-dr-phil.html)

Angel26519 09-04-2003 02:19 PM

Hello Everyone!!!!

Just found this on the Today show website... they are apparently looking for volunteers to be a part of this....

http://www.msnbc.com/news/961083.asp

Thought you might be interested.... maybe someone from this board can become one of his volunteers....

Suzanne 3FC 09-04-2003 11:27 PM

Hey, I don't think the Dr. Phil bars are the same Dr. Phil!

I just did a google search on Dr. Phil food bars and meal replacements, and the only thing coming up is Phil Bars, by Dr. Phil Maffetone. He also makes the meal replacement powders. Not the same guy, at all!

Whew!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne 3FC 09-04-2003 11:28 PM

Oh darn, never mind...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...1&CATID=100189

Shape Up! With Dr. Phil McGraw.
30 Packets - 6 tablets each.
15 day supply.
Each Packet Contains: 2 High Quality Multivitamin/Multimineral Tablets, 2 Apple Weight Management Tablets, 1 Apple Metabolism Tablet, 1 Apple Specialty Tablet.
Change your behavior, take control of your weight.

A 15 day supply for $29.99

And I'm not impressed with the ingredient list.

Quote:

Change your behavior, take control of your weight.
Then why feed us diet supplements?

Stepping Out 09-05-2003 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info Suzanne!

Sounds pretty much like a GIMMICK to me :rolleyes: :nono:

I'm going to watch the show anyway-but I don't know about buying the book.

aphil 09-05-2003 08:59 PM

I love Dr. Phil...but whoever got him into doing the meal replacements and supplements-boy that was a bad move. I think that he should have went with the book alone and concentrated on the emotional aspects of controlling your weight-and not into the "diet products." I had hoped he was better than that.
Aphil

Angel26519 09-08-2003 09:44 PM

Here is some info on the show we have all been looking for....

NBC News chews the fat with Dr. Phil McGraw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an exclusive interview, live forum discussion and weeklong series, NBC News will chew the fat with self-help guru and talk show host, Dr. Phil McGraw about the components and lessons revealed in his soon-to-be-released book, “The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom.” Beginning on Friday, September 12th at 8 PM ET in “A Katie Couric Special,” Couric will sit down with Dr. Phil in an exclusive one-hour interview. The second part of the broadcast will consist of a one-hour forum discussion with a live studio audience about the issues surrounding weight. The following week on “Today” Dr. Phil will appear daily as part of a week-long series during which he will work with a “Today” viewer on their quest for weight loss.
The September 12th broadcast will examine obesity and address why the United States leads the world in this alarming epidemic. Couric will talk to McGraw about the personal reasons that led to his involvement in this particular issue. It will also feature people who struggle with weight problems, and McGraw will use them as an example to explain his plan to viewers across America.
In the second part of the special McGraw will use his familiar “no-nonsense” approach to talk with a live audience at New York City’s South Street Seaport about why dieting doesn’t work, the roles that family and the media play in how and what we eat and the differences in men and women when it comes to weight. McGraw will share his plan with the audience and viewers at home on what they can do to stop instinct eating, clean out their refrigerator and get rid of those “fat clothes.”
The special will also include an interactive quiz for viewers at home. Based on McGraw’s ‘Readiness Profile,’ ten questions will run throughout the live portion of show, and on NBC’s website (www.dateline.msnbc.com) which, according to McGraw will tell viewers how committed they are, and ready they are, to tackle their weight problems.
In addition, millions of radio listeners will have an opportunity to hear the special report on NBC News Radio, a joint venture with Westwood One, in selected markets on Friday, September 12th (please check local listings for times.)
During the weeklong series on “Today” McGraw will meet viewers who are struggling with their weight and could benefit from his plan. Each day a different viewer will appear on “Today” to sit down with McGraw and discuss their individual battle with their weight and try to develop a plan going forward. Each viewer introduced will be monitored by McGraw to see whether they could make the lifestyle change.
In McGraw’s new release, “The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom,” he offers his philosophies about the no-nonsense, no-gimmicky way to weight loss success. He outlines them in “seven keys” that will offer people the tools it will take to “get real” and lose the weight

lizabeth 09-08-2003 10:00 PM

Gosh, I wonder what Oprah thinks about all this??? LOL.

Angel26519 09-09-2003 09:24 AM

She is probably loving it... I am sure she is getting a cut from all of this.....

gma22 09-09-2003 09:57 AM

I don't know if you all saw the news program (forgive me I don't know which one) but it said the reason Oprah supported Dr Phil going out on his own was to make money and she is always interested in making money. UGH!

Dr Phil is a Psychologist not a nutritionist and has no business touting bars, potions, or pills of any kind. I gave him a piece of my mind way back when he had the show about people who are offended by fat people and he never once told them their thinking was SCREWED UP! I think it is shameful that a lot of these people come out talking a good talk then cave in to good ole GREED! I plan on ignoring his program and whatever he is trying to sell to us now.

Richard Simmons did the same thing. He was very anti pills etc and now has his own line of the crap and crap it is! You can buy any good multivitamin and get the same nutritional stuff as any of this stuff being sold.

WAKE UP FOLKS! WE HAVE THE BRAINS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT ISN'T SO LET'S NOT GIVE INTO THIS BOLOGNA!

Angel26519 09-09-2003 04:40 PM

GMA2one- I totally respect your opinion.... my biggest thing with Dr phil is that he is at least trying to make it a wake up call and to be honest most things he is saying is common sense stuff..... and it may be stuff that has been said by AMA and others but if someone is willing to listen to him then more power to him....

And I agree with you about the bars and stuff I was VERY DISSAPPOINTED in him promoting that type of stuff BUT JUST READ this article that said THAT ALL PROCEEDS GO TO CHARITY TO FIGHT CHILDHOOD OBESITY..... so while I wont be buying this stuff someone out there may and at least there will be some good out of it.....

Here is the article that was in the USA TODAY....

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/r...hil-lede_x.htm

Hope this helps....

lizabeth 09-10-2003 07:23 PM

Gma2one, you are completely right. We should all know better. I am an expert at dieting, weight loss, nutrition and the 1001 ways to get to a healthy weight. But I'm still fat.

That is why we can't think for ourselves, how we get sucked into every crazy diet gimmick known to man. We keep hoping someone is going to sell us the secret to losing the weight and keeping it off.

This guys version is "telling it like it is" which in my mind translates into his having a license to be obnoxious.

I'm not fat because I have unresolved issues!!! I don't have any issues. I grew up in a loving family, I married a wonderful man and raised a bunch of well adjusted kids... I'm fat because I like to eat... out of boredom, out of anxiety and in celebration just about anything.

Unless you have a weight problem, you can never appreciate the struggle that eating is always going to pose. When a diet derails, the reason it is so hard to start back up again is because you understand the diligence it takes to maintain the loss and you just don't have the energy to stay at it... someone died, you lost your job...

Oh wait. Shouldn't you find other ways than food to deal with your problems? I think it is much deeper than that. You take the energy you were using to lose weight and you rechannel that energy into healing yourself. You aren't reverting to food for comfort, you are unable to fight the unending pressure that losing weight entails AND deal with the current crisis.

Falling back into old habits isn't because you haven't dealt with your issues, it is because for reasons beyond your control you lost your "fight" and the genetic programming that in ancient times kept you alive, kicks back into high gear and keeps you fat.

Will I watch the show? Probably. I feel like I need to turn every stone in search of the holy grail. The key is to have the ability to seperate the useful from the crap. Besides, I don't want to be left out when everyone is diss'in (did I use that word right? lol) Dr. Phil.

Its a long step down off my soap box... (sorry)