General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/158/137

Height: 5'5

Default Sticking to plan, not losing?

Hey, so, I've been doing well for the last month or so. This last week I've lost no weight, though.. but I've been doing everything! I've stuck to my calories (1700 a day) and been burning at least 500 a day through exercise...

I don't know why I've plateaued? Any ideas/help?? Thanks! xx
Kitkat1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

One week is really no indication.

Sometimes, because of fluid retention (I assume), I actually weigh more than I did one month prior. My weight jumps around a lot. But if you look at my signature graph you can see that the trend line is moving downwards.

It's the weight loss over time that matters, not your weight on any given day or week or even month. Stick to your plan, but don't be discouraged when your weight stays the same or goes up for a week. More than likely it'll dive down either next week or the week after.

That said, if you see a consistent upwards or stagnant trend for three weeks, I'd take a look over the plan and see if any changes can be made. Maybe the addition of some extra exercise, or a slight reduction in calories. But like I said, I'd wait before doing that.

You're doing great and you should feel good about yourself

Last edited by faiora; 01-15-2015 at 12:45 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

It's very common that people overestimate what they burn through exercise. Search for how much different kinds of exercise burns and you may be surprised. It's hard to burn 500 calories through exercise, every day.

At your weight you need to run about 5 miles at about a 12 minute mile, are you running 5 miles a day, every day?
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/165/130

Height: 5' 5''

You are doing really well. Just stick with it. 1 week is really not that long so don't let it bring you down!

Stick with your plan, set a goal, and you WILL see results. Good luck!
TinyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

I don't know how old you are but based on your height your calorie intake should be lower. Is that 1700 calories with exercise? Or a total of 1200? How are you figuring your calories burned? Don't forget that heart rate monitors and machines will also include your RMR, so for example your body will normally burn about 70 calories an hour even if you are sitting on the couch. So if you workout 470 calories for one hour, you must minus that 70 to accurately balance out the calories.

If you are making educated guesses on your calories I recommend investing in a Heart Rate Monitor..way more accurate. You will still need to minus your RMR, but those websites are not very accurate if they do not know your heart rate.
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #6  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Menstruation, high sodium foods, water retention, really anything can be the cause. I wouldn't call it a plateau until it has been at LEAST a month if not 6 weeks. Keep doing what you're doing and don't let a one week stall get you down! I would honestly not make any change to your current plan unless it's been 6 weeks to two months of no progress.

Last edited by nonameslob; 01-27-2015 at 12:53 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDread View Post
I don't know how old you are but based on your height your calorie intake should be lower. Is that 1700 calories with exercise? Or a total of 1200? How are you figuring your calories burned? Don't forget that heart rate monitors and machines will also include your RMR, so for example your body will normally burn about 70 calories an hour even if you are sitting on the couch. So if you workout 470 calories for one hour, you must minus that 70 to accurately balance out the calories.

If you are making educated guesses on your calories I recommend investing in a Heart Rate Monitor..way more accurate. You will still need to minus your RMR, but those websites are not very accurate if they do not know your heart rate.
At 5'10 I lose about a pound a week eating 2100 calories with no exercise.

1700 is totally reasonable for someone 5'5, even if they're eating back calories. And Kitkat was losing weight for a month, so it sounds to me like the calories are about right.

I think this is just a case of some weeks looking better on the scale than others.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote