General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Default I've Gained...

I've been a bit frustrated because over the past few months I've only lost a couple of lbs. I have not lost focus but it's hard not to see the scale go down. Well today I thought of things from a different perspective "What have I Gained through all of this?"
  1. A new found ability to run! I could only do a few seconds (may 20 or at the most 30 at a time) before and just today out of a 40 min walk I did 7 min of interval running!
  2. I can now do strength training! I always thought I was too weak, then I realized everyone has to start someplace! In the past few weeks I've gradually increased the # of reps and the amount of weights I've used. It's a slow process but I"m getting there!
  3. Muscle! They are tiny but toned! Getting stronger each day!
  4. A new love for my arms. OK, LOVE, is a strong word but I'm liking them more and more. The wings are shrinking. I'll never be an arm model but am looking forward to MAYBE just MAYBE putting on a tank top and not worrying about how they look. LOL I just want to be normal!!!

Has anyone else gained something????
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #2  

What an uplifting post. When I saw the I've gained subject I feared for a catharsis of guilt LOL and I got the polar opposite.

It feels so good to get strong, I have always been a walker and an intermittent pursuer of other fitness items. This January I joined a club and started on the circuit weights, Pilates for core strength. I see myself moving up the pounds and getting through the tough core sequences and knowing how much better it feels at all levels.

I had been strictly counting calories a few weeks and quit that and just decided to put one for in front of the other. What was really motivating today was after a few weeks of very busy weekends traveling to meet friends, having my girlfriend here, dinners out I kept up the program and this morning slid into some cute white Capri jeans that did not fit a month ago. Yay for unexpected wins!

Good for you! I told myself I would start doing a few interval runs with my walks which I haven't quite gotten up the gumption to execute and you have made me want to *just do it*.

You go girl! Focus on how you feel and toss the scale in the corner under some unflattering clothes.
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySunshine View Post
What an uplifting post. When I saw the I've gained subject I feared for a catharsis of guilt LOL and I got the polar opposite.

It feels so good to get strong, I have always been a walker and an intermittent pursuer of other fitness items. This January I joined a club and started on the circuit weights, Pilates for core strength. I see myself moving up the pounds and getting through the tough core sequences and knowing how much better it feels at all levels.

I had been strictly counting calories a few weeks and quit that and just decided to put one for in front of the other. What was really motivating today was after a few weeks of very busy weekends traveling to meet friends, having my girlfriend here, dinners out I kept up the program and this morning slid into some cute white Capri jeans that did not fit a month ago. Yay for unexpected wins!

Good for you! I told myself I would start doing a few interval runs with my walks which I haven't quite gotten up the gumption to execute and you have made me want to *just do it*.

You go girl! Focus on how you feel and toss the scale in the corner under some unflattering clothes.
LOL I thought it might throw some people! Gaining is not a bad thing in this respect!

I think I was just fed up with thinking that I was only "winning" by losing! So many other things to factor in. I'm getting so much stronger, and I have to realize that number on the scale is truly not a complete measure of my health and wellness.

My lowest weight was 175 and while I did it through diet and exercise I was often walking way way way too much and not focusing on my strength training. I was left thinner but weak. This time around the lbs are coming off slower but I can see such a difference in my body definition and am actually seeing some muscles develop. It's kind of exciting!

How are you liking the circuit training? I started a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! LOL I started off on the absolute lowest weights and really struggled but I'm slowly gaining strength and stamina. I couldn't even do the full 1.5 minutes on some of the machines. I'd have to pause, breathe, and then push through.

Congrats on fitting into those Capris! Doesn't it feel wonderful to fit into something that didn't fit before?!!!!! I have a couple of pairs of jeans that are still on my "can't wear" list, but I'm hoping that changes soon!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #4  

I love the weight circuit, too. They have a set of machines at the club I joined that they call the fast 25 or something like that it is 9 machines and I can so them in about 30 minutes. They have a machine for inner and outer thighs next to this group and I try to hop over there and do that one, too. I usually skip the abs machine on the end since I've been taking Pilates floor class which I really really like for core strength. Trying HARD to do it 3 times a week and maybe 5 weeks into it now. It seems so short and doable and useful add to my mainly walking routine plus some yoga classes.
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote