Intermittent Fasting Support Thread - Page 23 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #331  
16/8

S/C/G: 153/151.8/133

Height: 5'6"

wvuchick--Happy Birthday!!! How did the celebration with coworkers go??

noname--So far it's going great! I'm excited about it, and the prospect of losing this weight finally, but I'm a little worried that I'm in the "honeymoon" phase, and it's going to go downhill at some point ;-) How about you? You're doing the 5/2, which is basically 5 normal days and 2 fast days, right? That's similar to what I tried a while back, but for some reason it did not work well for me. I got too obsessive about calories and the down days began to get difficult. How long have you been doing 5/2? It definitely seems to be working for you!!

YoYoMa--What is your eating window? Is it only 2.5 hours?

Sum38--When I did IF a while back, I was doing up/down days as well as one splurge day of 2000 to 2200 calories. But I did find the cycling and the splurge day made the down days really tough. So far with Fast 5 this time, one thing I like is that everyday is the same, with the exception of the random day when a family event or something really special will cause me to eat before my window. I've only done the Fast 5 thing for 3 days so far, so I haven't changed things up yet.

Which reminds me of a point I wanted to bring up: when I did IF before, I had read about calorie cycling (up/down days in a random pattern) which supposedly keeps your metabolism up by not letting your body get into a routine. Have any of you read about this, or experienced benefits one way or another? I think from my prior experience with calorie cycling, that it's more difficult to do, at least for me. I guess it's similar to the JUDDD and Alternate Day fasting methods. For me, I think keeping things the same everyday and getting into a routine will be easier, but I worry a little that it will slow my metabolism or have some other negative effect. Any thoughts?

As for me, yesterday went well again and I'm down another .6 lbs. I'm sure a lot of it is water and food weight, as I'm definitely eating less calories and less volume of food than I had been just 5 days ago. I'm not counting calories, but I know I have been eating about the same amount of food for dinner that I had been before Fast 5, with a substantial snack a little before dinner. That's got to be less food than my prior pattern of lunch, then random grazing all day, large dinner, etc. I've also cut back on wine, although I still have a glass most nights, just a smaller glass ;-)

I'm also trying to get moving more. I have a desk job, which I do mostly from home, but I've been wearing my UP band and I'm only getting in 5000 steps, even with a nice long walk. I have a treadmill desk (love it!), but we moved recently so it's not set up right now. I did try a new workout yesterday which I can do at home while my 3 kids are with me. It's called the Wonder Woman workout, and it's tough! There are 9 (tough) exercises to do, and then you are supposed to repeat the whole set 9 more times!! I got through one set and called it quits yesterday, but I'll be working on getting more sets in. I like to run as well, but it's just too darn difficult to get out with my work schedule and the kids. What do you all do for exercise?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #332  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Sum- I do splurge- on weekends. Typically I do not go crazy but I may have pizza or something that I would not normally eat because of the carbs/high calories. I still avoid ice cream at all costs unless it's rare frozen yogurt out. If I have ice cream at home it will be eaten in a few days (900 cals later....).
I find it easier to not go crazy because, like you said, I find it harder to to back to my normal way of eating afterwards. Best way for me to "splurge" is if eating out, not by buying something and having it in house to tempt me later!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #333  
yogini99

NoName-
I agree about the breakfasts. I will never go back to eating them- at least M-F. Right now, I still enjoy eating earlier on the weekends if I'm hungry. I typically work out harder on weekends and can't go into that really food deprived.
To me, breakfast is easy to give up and saves the calories! I like your idea of smoothie for lunch on non fast days. I am going to try that!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #334  
yogini99

yoyoma- totally agree about measuring the fats/chocolate/nuts!
Those are the things I will overdo if I don't measure and the chili chocolate is awesome too! I find that milk chocolate- forget it- I just want MORE. However, dark chocolate is fine usually- lately I have been buying the 90% and it's great! I had some 70% last weekend and it tasted sooo sweet to me (when I first tried that same type years ago it tasted so unsweet to me!).
Old 05-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #335  
yogini99

Lighten up- calorie cycling is not something I have tried. Wouldn't IF be automatically a form of calorie cycling?? I agree- I am not into mega calorie counting/tracking in general and would not have to be doing that all the time to vary it up. I'm lazy
Agree with you about the working out. I work mainly from home- ridiculous hours. Some days I have like 100 steps logged. Ugh. I would like to find a treadmill or standing desk at least. Benefits you found?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #336  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightenup2014 View Post
YoYoMa--What is your eating window? Is it only 2.5 hours?
Yes, my window is 6PM - 8:30PM, so it's typically just a large dinner. The 2.5 hour window gives my food some time to settle, and if I'm hungry, I can eat more entree later if I want, but I'm usually fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightenup2014 View Post
I have a treadmill desk (love it!)... What do you all do for exercise?
Treadmill desk FTW!!! I also take walks outside. That's really all I'm doing these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogini99 View Post
I would like to find a treadmill or standing desk at least. Benefits you found?
When I first got my treadmill desk, I tried to use it while working, but I found it too annoying/distracting. So, now I just use it when I'm doing recreational browsing or watching a program. The benefit is that it is super convenient, and I actually want to do it.

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-31-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:03 PM   #337  
16/8

Yogini--I guess some IF methods like 5/2 are like calorie cycling, but the Fast 5 I'm doing is the same everyday, unless I shake things up on the weekend, which so far I don't want to do. I'll see how it goes doing Fast 5 everyday. I guess I could be "cycling" if I ate a lot more or less calories from one day to the next, which I'm probably not. As for the treadmill desk, I really love it! When I'm working, which is pretty much all I use it for, I have to walk pretty slow, like between 1.8 and 2.0 mph. If I go any faster I just can't concentrate. But going slowly I do pretty well, and I've done 3 or 3.5 hours at a stretch. That's tiring, so I can't imaging doing it for the whole work day. It's a great way to just keep moving, though! I really wish I could have it in the living room so I could watch TV on it, but that's not how we have our place set up, and it would take up too much space in our living room. I do also have a Desk Cycle (small bike-like thing with just pedals), which I use for work when I want (or need) to be sitting. I can use that on the couch, too. And I had set up a standing desk for our home computer at our old house, but I haven't found a good place to set one up at the new house yet. Working on it, though. I think all the sitting I've been doing lately has contributed to my weight gain! Gotta' get moving!

yoyoma--I can't believe there's another treadmill desk user here! Awesome! I bought mine second-hand, and the previous owner was a writer of children's books. She found she just couldn't concentrate on her work and walk, but I wonder if she was trying to go too fast. But, my work is not all that creative, so maybe it's just better suited for my line of work. As for eating window, I could almost do a 2.5 hr window, at least this first week I've been doing Fast 5, except that I like to have a smoothie with my kids in the afternoon, and a glass of wine with DH in the evening ;-)
Old 05-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #338  
Melissa

It sure is easier to NOT eat during the day when I'm super busy, today I was gardening. I was hot and sweaty. I didn't want food. I wanted to drink water! So, only half and half in the morning coffee 1/2 a cup) and then a 1000 calorie dinner!

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 05-31-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #339  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Woot; I skipped my splurge day and my body decided to drop another 3.2 pounds. -- Like Berry I was craving for water and watery fruit; watermelon tasted heavenly.

I was really busy; I walked the pup for 4+ miles, mowed the lawn and did a 65 minute power walking session on the treadmill. I took over 25000 steps; I think I burned some mega calories by being busy.

I hit a new low weight (during this journey). I feel giddy about it.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #340  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
Woot; I skipped my splurge day and my body decided to drop another 3.2 pounds. -- Like Berry I was craving for water and watery fruit; watermelon tasted heavenly.

I was really busy; I walked the pup for 4+ miles, mowed the lawn and did a 65 minute power walking session on the treadmill. I took over 25000 steps; I think I burned some mega calories by being busy.

I hit a new low weight (during this journey). I feel giddy about it.
Way to go Sum! Even those temporary dips down are signs of things that are COMING... So don't be discouraged if it goes up a bit tomorrow, because it won't STAY THERE!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #341  
Mother of Nine

S/C/G: 230/203/140

Height: 5'7"

Hello, I am new here. I am not sure if my diet falls in the Intermittent Fasting category. I have never heard of it until looking up information on juicing.

I don't eat breakfast, just a little cream in tea. Maybe 4 ounces of juice before I walk. I either juice the rest of the day or have a salad one time a day and juice the rest of the day. I go by how I feel. So, a couple of days ago I only juiced throughout the day, the next day I juiced then ate an early dinner (salad only), and a cup of juice in the evening. Today I'm juicing but tired. I will probably have another salad today. I'm losing close to a pound a day. It's been since the 17th of May that I started.

Does this sound anything like an intermittent fast? Or do people who do the IF, not partake of any juice while fasting? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #342  
16/8

Fruitofthewomb--(wow, do you really have nine kids?) From what I've read of IF, it is a total calorie restriction during the fast with 50 or less calories, maybe for morning coffee, otherwise only water and other non-calorie drinks. Juice would have a lot of sugar, which will break the fast. But, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want the real benefits that are attributed to IF, then you would need to do the no-calorie fast. But if you're just looking to lose weight, then the juicing seems to be lowering your daily calorie intake and resulting in weight loss. Personally, I think I would find it difficult to take in that much sugar (from the juice) and not actually eat. I would think that your blood sugar would still fluctuate a lot from juicing, but I haven't read up on that. If you want more info on IF, look for the free ebook about Fast 5, or you could look into other methods such as Leangains, Eat Stop Eat, 5/2, etc. Good luck!

Great job Sum and Berry! It's always nice to have those energized days where you're busy and moving!

I read another great quote: It came from a fellow IF-er who was saying that if he begins eating it's difficult to not eat a lot (like me!), so IF works for him by restricting how often he can eat. He said his motto was "When I eat less, I eat less"--I love it!

I did well over the weekend, still did Fast 5 but moved my window up yesterday to have lunch with the fam at 2:30 (I've been aiming for 5:30-10:30 or so), and still went to about 11, but probably didn't have any more calories than with the 5 hour window. This morning was the first morning doing Fast 5 that I woke up actually HUNGRY! I've having coffee now, so that's helping. I've lost 3.8 lbs in the past 5 days, so I'm sure that a lot of that is water/food weight. If it was real weight loss it would be 13,300 calories worth, which divided by 5 days would mean a calorie deficit of 2660 per day. I really doubt I was eating 3860 to 4360 calories per day before Fast 5 (can you tell I'm a numbers girl??). So anyway, I'm sure the weight loss will slow down, but at least it's a start and a good motivator!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #343  
16/8

I just realized I contradicted myself above--I did Fast 5 on Saturday, but had more like a 16/8 day yesterday. I was going to stop eating at 7:30pm to make the 5-hour window, but then I went to Trader Joe's and had the sample, then went home and had a glass of wine with DH. That glass of wine in the evening really extends my window!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #344  
16/8

Okay, a couple more thoughts: I've realized that I can make dinner a little early in the day, before my window opens, and then I'm not allowed to "sample" the food while I'm cooking. That has always added calories to my day, and then I would wind up eating a regular amount at dinner despite the sampling!

Also, I got my treadmill desk up and running!! Well, up and walking, lol. I've been trying to increase my steps each day, but 7200 is the most I've reached in the past week, with an average of about 5400 steps the other days. I read somewhere that less than 5000 steps is considered sedentary, which I certainly don't want to be. I'm hoping that by having the treadmill desk to use again and by taking more walks outside, that I can get moving more. We recently moved to a neighborhood with lots of trails and culdesac roads, so there are plenty of places to walk. I just have to find the time!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #345  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

fruitofthewomb, it does not sound like you're doing any form of IF, but you are of course welcome to continue posting here! Glad to hear what you're doing is working for you

lightenup2014 Happy you did so well over the weekend! You're having a great first week. Yes, the loss will probably slow down some as the water weight comes off first but you have an excellent start Your treadmill desk sounds awesome. Did you purchase it or did your employer buy it for you? Do you work at home? Sorry if I missed that!

I ate "normally" all weekend. I usually over-indulge a good bit on the weekends but I kept it mostly in check. I did find myself skipping lunch yesterday (I had an iced coffee to hold me through). I really enjoy that I've learned I don't need to eat 3 meals a day if I don't want to. I knew I was going to have a large dinner at my parent's house, and I wasn't that hungry, so why eat lunch? Back to my weekly routine today...fasting until my 500 cal dinner, then tomorrow I'll have a smoothie for lunch and a big dinner.
Closed Thread