General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #1  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

Default Bustin' Sugar - 2013

Happy New Year! The thread description is so good that I hi-jacked it for this year...

This thread is for anyone interested in support and friendship with others who follow a low glycemic diet, especially those who are sugar conscious... Sugarbusters, Glycemic Index Diet, etc. You are very welcome!
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #2  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

Hi, I'm Kimberly, just turned 49, have MS and T2 diabetes. I am addicted to sugar, especially any kind of cracker or chips. It's awful to open a bag or a box and know that I won't be able to stop thinking about the contents until they are all gone! Any kind of white carb is just lethal for me. I got a copy of Sugar Busters! and will follow the guidelines in it. My sweetie wants to live low sugar as well, so that will help immensely.

I'm also a member of TOPS, and look forward to reaching my goal this year. Here's to a healthy new year!
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #3  
Happy Member

Hi, ShootingStar:

Good luck on controlling your sugar intake. Controlling it is very difficult.

In my case, I have given up sugar insofar as it is possible to do so. That is, sugar is in many food items such as fruits as well as many processed foods, so it is very difficult to eliminate it totally. Sugar is addictive for many of us.

Therefore I eat mostly fresh veggies, lean meats, no processed foods, and very little fruits. I also limit grains from my food intake - again, insofar as it is possible.

Like you, I am a diabetic, and limiting my foods is the only way I can keep my glucose levels under control. I did find that the longer I ate this way, the easier it became.

Again, best of luck to you as you work on limiting the sugar in your food intake.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #4  

Happy New Year! Hello ShootingStar and Jojojo! Sorry this area is kind of dead. The Sugar Busters group used to be huge and very active, but the diet kind of fell out of favor to South Beach...there are a few of us who still show up occasionally and post.

I started Sugar Busters about ten years ago, and I still follow the guidelines fairly well, but am more strict on my carbs as I am a T2 diabetic and have trouble controlling my bg. I belong to the YMCA and lift weights, and do cardio there on the recumbent bikes, or in the pool. I have not had any major success with any diet in a long long time. My metabolism is toast due to severe sleep apnea that is now treated, but it was just too late and I have irreparable damage. I try hard to remain upbeat and keep at it, hoping in time things will get better, but I admit I will frequently fail and feel like "what's the use?"

Limiting sugar is not all that hard. You just have to eat clean, and try not to eat much processed stuff. Simply cooked protein and veggies and an approved starch, like a small sweet potato, are not too hard. Like you, Shooting, I am addicted to sugar and carbs, and I just have a hard time controlling my eating in the presence of tasty carby stuff. My biggest downfall is potatoes. I just try to avoid them entirely. Rarely even buy them for my husband....if I fix them, I know I am going to fall. And like you, JoJoJo, I find the best way to control my glucose levels is to eat nothing processed, lean proteins and veggies. I rarely eat fruit and when I do, its almost always berries, which are fairly low in sugar.

Its nice to see some folks interested in Sugarbusters...
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #5  

HEY, TONI! If you are reading, I wanted to tell you I did make it to #1! I beat the #2 woman by 112,000 pounds! I was #5 overall..so only four men lifted more than me! I was pretty stoked!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #6  

Ellen- My gosh that is wonderful. You did it gal!!!! You are the Queen....
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #7  

Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I haven't posted in over a year. Hi Ellen and Toni. Wow can't believe how this thread has died down. I will check back in a few days and see if anyone is still posting here.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #8  

Mercee- Good to see you posting. How are you doing? Sorry this thread is so slow. I thought it would pick up by now. Hope you're back to eating healthy.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Height: 5'4"

I'm another person who has recently been converted to a low sugar diet. I love it so far. I've avoided soda, juice, sweet tea, and other sugary beverages for years now but just this past month I've been eliminating all refined sugar.

It's definitely a work in progress but I've already noticed that the less sugar I eat, the better I feel. I still eat other carbs including whole grain bread (I like the Ezekiel brand), vegetables, and fruit but have cut out white bread, rice, pasta, and refined sugar.

I can't believe all of the places sugar is hidden! Peanut butter, yogurt, salad dressing, crackers... it's crazy! One of the best things about eliminating refined sugar is that you automatically start buying less processed and more whole foods.

One other thing I've noticed-- in the past month, I haven't lost weight on the scale but I'm down in inches. Especially around my waist. Has anyone else noticed this?
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #10  

Mapleleaf- Sounds like you're eating really well. Its so hard to get the sugar out.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

I'm really working on cutting back on refined sugars too. I've only been at it for a couple of weeks, but I do feel better and I have more energy. I'm eating fruit, but trying to eat more vegetables. I do eat sweet potatoes a couple times a week, but not white.
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #12  

I think sweet potatoes are just fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Toni48: I hope they are cause I love them! I also love fruit and can't imagine giving it up
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Jennifer, same here! I love fruit.

Last night for dinner, I had tofu and roasted brussel sprouts and then an orange for dessert. It was all really good!

How are others doing? I'd love to hear some of your favorite meals to get ideas.
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 171/160/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar View Post
Hi, I'm Kimberly, just turned 49, have MS and T2 diabetes. I am addicted to sugar, especially any kind of cracker or chips. It's awful to open a bag or a box and know that I won't be able to stop thinking about the contents until they are all gone! Any kind of white carb is just lethal for me. I got a copy of Sugar Busters! and will follow the guidelines in it. My sweetie wants to live low sugar as well, so that will help immensely.

I'm also a member of TOPS, and look forward to reaching my goal this year. Here's to a healthy new year!
I used to be addicted to sugar as well. The Sugar Buster book helped me get started. If you are trying to cut back on pasta as well, this might help. Have you ever tried squash spaghetti? When our family has spaghetti, I make squash spaghetti instead of the noodles. This cuts back ALOT of carbs. The other thing I did when I was trying get off of sugar was I ate alot of sugar free jello and I would drink Hoods brand chocolate milk. Good luck to you, you will do fine.
tonyamartin is offline   Reply With Quote